Learn to sail in Thailand?

Fancy a sailboat here in Thailand but have little / no experience of sailing boat, but have owned some motorboats in Norway. Size 30-40 feet.

Anyone know if there is training in sailing a sailboat?

post-84957-0-84663100-1433146627_thumb.j

That photo in your OP....

Looks like a fully restored Broome Pearling Lugger. Where did you get the photo? I noticed it has a Thai Flag...

They were beautiful old Boats, good to see again.....

Looks like a fully restored Broome Pearling Lugger. Where did you get the photo? I noticed it has a Thai Flag...

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=sailboat+thailand&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=935&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CSxsVcrTMIa1uASm6YOYBw&ved=0CHoQsAQ

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=sailboat+thailand&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=935&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CSxsVcrTMIa1uASm6YOYBw&ved=0CHoQsAQ

Some good pics there....i would just about bet that is a restored "Broome Pearling Lugger", going on the shape of the hull and the bow spit....

Maybe there are other posters on here, that can confirm it or not....

Good luck with your lessonsthumbsup.gif

You do not have to spend the money on a Sailing school. There is a shortage of crew in Thailand just about anywhere. Especially for the larger ships that uses crews of 12 and up..

Just look for races coming up or weekends and stroll around in the marina, try to talk to some skippers or crew, they will prove very helpful. Some captains are really happy to take on a new crew member if he is willing to work hard. Prove yourself the first time and you will be sure to have a semi-permanent position in the crew. Then just build up some reputation and you will be welcome almost anywhere. Yacht community is very friendly and helpful.

Key to success is always show up in time and as promised, that is basically all you have to do, you will be surprised to know how many crew do not show up as promised due to hangovers or other.

Edited by AlQaholic

Looks like a fully restored Broome Pearling Lugger.

Schooner - Seraph

http://www.sailingtourphuket.com/boats/sailing-in-thailand.html

http://www.seraphcruises.com

gallery02-b.jpg

I replied before I seen your post morakot....Beautiful old vessel hey?

Anyhow Im off topic a bit...Back to finding the OP a Teacher.

Maybe the OP wants to learn sailing on a gaff-rigged vessel. He might be sweating the lines though. clap2.gifclap2.gif None of these modern fancy Bermuda rigs... biggrin.png

You need to speak with Paul (Surapol) at Ocean Marina. He has a boatyard and builds sailing yachts and teaches seriously interested people to sail. He wins sailing competitions in Pattaya, Phuket, and even went to Korea once with the national team. He is the technical adviser for the big catamaran owned by the guy that owns Ocean Marina in race competitions. His store at Ocean Marina is called Yacht Fixes and if you PM me I will put you in touch with him.

We are planning a passage from Phuket to Capetown early next year. Hallberg-Rassey 49 ketch, first-class boat with experienced captain. Could use another hand who would learn all about sailing on that trip and a few local orientations before. Onward from Capetown to the Caribbean, usual passage via St. Helen to Fortaleza then Trinidad. Guaranteed to be a true salt afterward (or at least a good start into saltiness). If interested PM me then plan on coming down to Phuket for a lookaround.

If you live Bangkok or Eastern Seaboard then your best to head to Ocean Marina. There are 2 very good sailing schools there. One is Gulf Charters and the other is SailQuest.

Really if you want to learn properly, use these companies. Yes, there are other options and yes you can crew but you don't learn properly and just waste your time learning other bad practices. I can sail and happy if you joined me but don't learn from me.

The old saying applies here. You get what you pay for!