Teacher the ole Non-B work permit switching jobs question

So I have a work permit until February. My next 90 day check in is late July. Really want to leave current giant circus profit before people all about advertising language school for one of Thailand's better universities.

I have an interview demo in late June so if I get a new job the present job's 90 day check in would be in 3-4 weeks.

My questions are: If I get hired I would like to leave my present job ASAP so that I can begin preparing for the new job as it would be too stressful to properly give them 30 days notice...... by the time I finish the present job I would be immediately starting the new job.

Do the two employers need to cooperate for my new non B and WP? Can I leave the present job with little notice, cancel the current WP, and run for the border?

It's a bit of a catch 22. I can't afford to be too presumptuous and quit my job now...... if there is anyone who has been in a similar situation and could give advise that'd be great!

ubonjoe would this earlier post pertain to my situation?

ubonjoe

Star Member

• photo-thumb-66997.jpg?_r=0
  • Global Moderators
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 31,525 posts

Posted 2015-01-16 11:28:24

The way it should be done is this way since the latest change to the police order for extensions.

Your new employer applies for your work permit and gets a letter of approval for the application from the work permit office.

You then go to immigration with a letter from your current employer stating you job has ended with them.

You can then apply for a new extension with supporting documents from your new employer and the approval letter for the work permit application.

Then after your work permit is cancelled for your old job your new work permit can be issued.

Your 90 day reports are irrelevant as far as finishing a job and starting a new one. They have nothing to do with your permit to stay.

The copy of my post would apply to your case if you were able to get the termination letter from your current employer on the date you go in to apply for a new extension with documents from your new employer.

As far as running for the border it would depend upon which border you cross. If Laos you would need the termination letter to cancel your extension to leave the country.

Your WP and Visa can be transfred between emplpyers, but only in BKK and with cooperation of both schools. If you plan to quit without proper notice, I doubt your old school will be motivated to do this for you.

Thanks ubonjoe! Great advice about which border to cross. If that's the case and I do a border run I'll have to roll the dice on the Malaysian side and hope they cancel the extension. Also, a great quote by you CharlieH!

Your WP and Visa can be transfred between emplpyers, but only in BKK and with cooperation of both schools. If you plan to quit without proper notice, I doubt your old school will be motivated to do this for you.

Work permits and extensions of stay cannot be transferred at any location. Both have to be canceled and a new one applied for.

.....so from a liability standpoint it would be in the interest of the former employer to cancel my WP and visas? That is to say they probably wouldn't want to be liable for me hanging around Thailand on their watch?......I would try to quit so that they could replace me on time but this wouldn't be up to par with the contract clause of each party deciding to terminate the contract with 30 days notice......if they knew I had a new job on the line I guess they could drag their feet to spite me but I don't think that'd really be an issue.

So basically it amounts to the former employer's WP and Visa being canceled and a fresh set of paperwork from the new employer? It has nothing to do with them cooperating together?

The employer can cancel the work permit. You have to go to immigration to cancel the extension.

The only cooperation needed is as I said is your current employer giving you the letter to cancel your extension on the date you will have the paperwork to apply for a new extension. The work permit would also have to be canceled on that date so that you can get the new one.

Thanks. Ok, time to put this to bed. So, with my HR's track record this sounds like herding cats and a very unnerving situation as I'd have to put too much trust in them to date the paperwork and have it ready on the same date. Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to bail on them after nearly two years and go to Malaysia and return with a tourist visa.

My question is: For my next potential employer will I be able to get a new Non B and WP with this new 60 day TV?

Will it be like a fresh start? Are there any potential loose ends? I have read on another post by Direktkaoz a few months ago (03-15) that s/he couldn't get the cancellation for the extension of stay without a letter from the employer could this be a potential hiccup? Or once I leave and return the extension is null?

Khapun mach khrap!

Leaving the country and re-entering without a re--entry permit will cancel your extension.

You will be able to get the work permit application done on a tourist visa. You will more than likely need to leave the country again to get the non-b visa.

I'm in a similar boat, but I'm not going to try and transfer the permit over as I imagine that would be really difficult and would take at least four parties to know exactly what they are doing.

My new school seem to be good in getting all the documentation together, my old school have been difficult about cancelling people's work permits in the past. Although they have ended up doing providing a letter, they have done so awkwardly - telling old teachers to collect their letter on a certain day and then not having it ready, generally just being difficult.

I found this link...

http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/wp_cancellation.pdf

which seems to suggest that a teacher can go to immigration of their own accord and cancel their WP, without a letter from the school.

I'd prefer to do this to avoid any shenanigans with my old school. After that I plan to leave the country and get a new non-B.

Has anyone cancelled their own WP in this manner? Does it work, or would I need to get a letter from my old (difficult) school?

• 2 weeks later...

Quit the job on the evening of the 5th, which was a Friday, without notice. Decided to test the waters and see what would happen if I didn't leave the country within 24 hours and without a 7 day extension nor a termination letter. Very foolish I know but I had bigger fish to fry and had money ready to go for overstay plus 4,000 baht. On the evening of the 16th I crossed the border at Hat Yai with no problems. They didn't mention anything just a stamp and a "khrapON"