Today's going rate for Jet ski rental and who's the best Vendor-recommend

dannywla

I guess you are a newbie, do a search of this forum for "Jet Ski" you will see that it is not a recommended pastime as its Mafia run and full of cons.

Just a friendly warning.

. It says he's a member since 2007, I'm sure he is well aware, but u never know

I think you can trust the jetski guys operating in Jomtien , behind the police station . Never seen any issues with them overcharging foreigners but you never know.

So far no reply on rental cost. I don't want to get on a boat to a island to jet ski for recreation. I learned that at this time only the jet ski operator behind Jomtien police station is honest.

Curious how much to purchase a new jet ski, do you need a permit or special license. Or a nice used one, might be a giood option from a big dealer. What dealer any clues?

The rules state that you are supposed to have a captains license but I have never heard it being enforced. I have seen quite a used jet skis on Bahtsold as well as new ones at the dealers on Sukhumvit.

Kurt

You're just asking for trouble in you rent jet ski in Thailand.

As it says in another post, just search this forum for all the horror stories - it never ends well.

By renting one you're putting yourself in unnecessary danger, not only from mafia controlled vendors who may try and rip you off but if you were to have an accident, do you really think these guys have insurance?

I'm not sure such a thing exists in Pattaya but in you're that determined to rent a jet ski, maybe try and seek out a proper water sports facility that is likely to have proper insurance and wont be run by the local mafia.

Alternatively, if you've got the cash, it might make more sense to buy your own jet ski.

I have seen the jet ski operators rip off people right in front of me. Two Japanese guys rented two jet skis. I watched them have a good safe time. One of the jet ski's they were given was on the sand, another out in the water anchored towards Koh Larrn. When they came back in, the vendors showed the one that was anchored to have damage to the front which could not be seen from the shore the way it was anchored. They argued for 18,000 baht, settled for 8,000 baht. They did not speak English. I wanted to help in some way, but couldn't. They could not understand a thing that I was saying as I just trying to find out in they spoke English. Once it was clear that they could not understand me, I wasn't about to start yelling 'Scam".

Do not rent a Jet Ski anywhere in Thailand.

Sit outside baywalk or the Marriot in Pattaya and watch them rip off customers daily....

I rented for a decade. Then they ripped me off for 16, 000 not touched one in 5 years. In the long run they saved me alot of money by extorting money from me once.

DON'T

Edited by maprao

I always pay 400 for 15 minutes or 700 for half hour from my guy bottom soi 7/8........There's so many there though thats its impossible to point him out without being there. Zero Scams very polite

Edited by Chivas

Rent by all means, but make sure you get it out of the water first and point out every little scratch and scrape to the guy and take photos so the guy knows you are aware of the scams, and, unless of course you do actually damage one, you will have no problems.

Just be careful of the "tape" scam often where the Punter hires without photographing as he walks away the Thai Guy pulls off a bit of Black tape close to where there is Black Trim, and underneath heavily scratched.

Punter doesn't notice black tape originally. Seen it 4-5 times in front of my own eyes. They even know that I know its so blatant...

Mate...if your living here full time...buy your own...then you won't get scammed for the cost of a new ski!!!

Things are getting desperate for the Jet Ski operators now....to such an extent that driving along Third Rd South Pattaya today in slow traffic,I saw in my rear view mirror a woman in a small black sedan actually get out her car and waving a card at all the vehicles behind her,I didn't have a clue what for......until she shot down the inside lane,and done it again along side my car.....pictures of Jet Ski's...obviously touting for business...and giving all the drivers the shits by stopping in the middle of the road!

I've found the best to be a lady who operates her business at the North end of Pattaya beach. Not sure what the rate is but she operates an honest non scam business. Her name is Joy and her pitch is the first one across from the Amari hotel.