Farangs riding scooters in middle of the road

nemrut

Well that didn't take long, finally some facts in place of opinions at last. Of course the Land Traffic Act was posted there as well but I found them quite a bore to read so I didn't bother, preferring instead to rely on the advice given by one and all on this forum.

Three cheers to the obviously retired lawyer hml367!

From that thread:

"Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible."

According to that, no trucks, cars, motorcycles, or low speed vehicles can be in the right hand lane. So, I guess that's the tour bus lane? That seems to be the only thing left after everything they listed.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Section 35 (400-1000B) The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible."

My interpretation is that the right hand land is to be used for passing rather than cruising. Very different from saying the lane can't ever be used.

"Section 35 (400-1000B) The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible."

My interpretation is that the right hand land is to be used for passing rather than cruising. Very different from saying the lane can't ever be used.

As long as the cop that sees you passing in the right lane interprets it that way as well, you're fine. But, given some of the traffic law interpretations I've seen, I wouldn't count on it. wink.png

As long as the cop that sees you passing in the right lane interprets it that way as well, you're fine. But, given some of the traffic law interpretations I've seen, I wouldn't count on it. wink.png

Never seen the cops abuse that "law" in CM for 4 wheel vehicles. Elsewhere is different.

Been OK for the past 15 years following it. Even with police cars behind me. Figure it will be OK for the next 15.

Of course, it IS all up to the cop at the scene...

In America if I see a Motorcycle riding on the outside of a lane. I think there is a brand new rider. Bicycles and mopeds ok. A regular motorcycle no...road placement is two or thre feet on either side of the middle lane.

In Thailand its just safer at times to ride on the outside as the majority or moronic drivers are not used to having a motorbike in the middle and may run you down.

Many farang dont have any e perience riding a bike of any kind in there home country so are cluless as to the ways here.

Anyone with any knowledge of motorcycling in Thailand knows how dangerous it is to stick to the left. I don't give a toss what the law is - the reality of driving in Thailand is that far too many road surfaces are diabolical, and far too many road users don't have the first idea of the highway code.

Until the roads are fixed, especially the insanely dangerous allocated motorcycle lanes - and until the highway code is applied ( that will be the twelfth of never ) - motorcyclists have to adapt to the reality of driving in Thailand TODAY.

So give it a rest with the idiotic comments about what would happen in your country - who cares. Adapt, or in far too many cases, literally die, on Thai roads.