Are trains in Thailand safe?

Kenny202

Looking at booking some train travel and just wondering if there are many accidents here. I hear about minor derailments and delays, and of course comfort up to the persons discretion but yes, is it safe or are there accidents? Never been on a bus here but had enough near head ons with them to understand I don't want to sit on one for 5 hours.

I'd probably take a train versus the bus if safety was my #1 concern. Which most of the time it is. But, the train can, at times, be 2x+ the time.

Trains are fine here. Buses....well....that's another story. Avoid overnight buses at all costs. We have accidents here, but there's also thousands of buses on the go every day with no problems.

What is your planned route? Maybe that will help us answer you a bit better??

I'd probably take a train versus the bus if safety was my #1 concern. Which most of the time it is. But, the train can, at times, be 2x+ the time.

Trains are fine here. Buses....well....that's another story. Avoid overnight buses at all costs. We have accidents here, but there's also thousands of buses on the go every day with no problems.

But also delays on buses....lots of stories of blown tire, engine problem and the customer waiting hours. No one hurt so not in the news. I prefer to sit in a non working train than in a non working bus....

That's a major route. You should have no problems. And down to Bang Sapan is perfect. The train station is closer in to town. I believe the bus lets you off on the highway?

We just took a scooter taxi into town. Easy. Sounds like fun!

There hasn't been a bus brake failure and fatalities for at least a week.

Train is slow, but safe, you can walk around. Took me 12 hours to get from Chiang Mai to BKK, but a pleasant ride.

If I were travelling on a train that derailed....I'd hardly call it a "minor incident".

Seems most here think it is a safe way to travel. Whether it is or not wouldn't put me off using one. But in my 14 years in Thailand there have been many derailments. We went through a period on here (TV) where people were saying they would never travel by train, it was such a regular occurrence.

I have gone to Chiang Mai from Pattaya by coach (now I drive it) years ago and from reading TV the only change I would make there would be to travel on a day bus (I used to take the night one)....so many drivers having accidents due to falling asleep

Edited by dotpoom

Yeah the bus lunatics I've seen first hand and it's just not an option. Derailments can be a simple slip off the track and a minor time costing delay or a major catastrophe. I don't know if there's been any passenger deaths here has there?

There hasn't been a bus accident in Thailand for the past 24 hours .... except for minor one's which wouldn't get reported anyway.

Train travel is fine if your prepared to double your estimated trip time.

Taxi is fine but you have to pay.

Flying is one of the safest and fastest ways to travel in Thailand.

Hitch hiking is not considered very safe and I would advise against this practice.

Riding a motorbike or scooter may suit some people however it is considered somewhat risky on the highway.

Push bike is fine and quite acceptable, however again the highway traffic risk is present and be prepared to make your journey 10x the train time estimated.

Sorry but trains are NOT safe in Thailand (Buses aren't either, unfortunately).

So many incidents, minor and major in the past few years, derailing mostly, or hitting cars/trucks.

Just google for it.

If there is an option to fly, I would always prefer that (in many cases not more expensive than the train ride in 1st class sleepers).

No public transport is safe anywhere. However, as far as Thailand goes death or injury on the railways is extremely unlikely. I was in charge of expeditions and excursions at a major international school here for 15 years and wrote the health and safety policy. It forbid travel on buses at night and only allowed travel on buses by day with our own company, not public vehicles. We allowed train travel at any time and i actually think it was fun for the kids at night and a great way to travel, despite delays. Many of the parents were very hi-so but it was not too hard to convince them of this though many would prefer their children to fly. Much of the rolling stock is old and rickety and the lines need more maintenance but i would still let the train take the strain over the notorious highways. As and when the trains are upgraded thus form of transport in Thailand should become even more attractive.

Skateboard?

This option is considered quite dangerous as highway traffic will not give way to skateboarders .. also the pavement is very rough so you would need to carry extra wheels ...

I would advise against this option.

No public transport is safe anywhere. However, as far as Thailand goes death or injury on the railways is extremely unlikely. I was in charge of expeditions and excursions at a major international school here for 15 years and wrote the health and safety policy. It forbid travel on buses at night and only allowed travel on buses by day with our own company, not public vehicles. We allowed train travel at any time and i actually think it was fun for the kids at night and a great way to travel, despite delays. Many of the parents were very hi-so but it was not too hard to convince them of this though many would prefer their children to fly. Much of the rolling stock is old and rickety and the lines need more maintenance but i would still let the train take the strain over the notorious highways. As and when the trains are upgraded thus form of transport in Thailand should become even more attractive.

Well we booked today. Terrible antiquated process. Have an internet site but can't book online. We had to travel 50km to our nearest station (and back) to make the booking in person. Cash only no credit card and most of it hand written. The staff at the station were really nice and helpful but. Oh, the advertised fares on the internet appear to be wrong (lower) and there are trains scheduled that either don't run or are for govt workers only. Yet to actually test out the facilities but its a real shame. After travelling around Europe on trains (absolutely awesome and hassle free) it would appear Thailand has an untapped tourist resource here that managed properly would give great and cheap access to the other amazing parts of the country other than Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok etc.

Well we booked today. Terrible antiquated process. Have an internet site but can't book online. We had to travel 50km to our nearest station (and back) to make the booking in person. Cash only no credit card and most of it hand written. The staff at the station were really nice and helpful but. Oh, the advertised fares on the internet appear to be wrong (lower) and there are trains scheduled that either don't run or are for govt workers only. Yet to actually test out the facilities but its a real shame. After travelling around Europe on trains (absolutely awesome and hassle free) it would appear Thailand has an untapped tourist resource here that managed properly would give great and cheap access to the other amazing parts of the country other than Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok etc.

SRT as it's known is very old and decrepit. Thailand would need to spend at least 10 billion baht to upgrade it's network and provide new trains.

They need to upgrade the booking system

Ticketing

Station facilities

and many other things ...

I remember some time ago you could travel from Bangkok to Arunyaputet ( Cambodia border ) for around 27 baht or less ....

so please tell me how you can make money at that price ?

also, why would they spend billions when thais cannot afford train ticket prices similar to western countries ?

In other words it's a loss making enterprize ..... how can it make a profit at those prices ? and if the tickets are to high nobody can afford them ...

I love traveling in thailand, I think that most bus/train stations have a nice atmosphere since of course its old. Nowadays I travel mostly by motorbike or car and drive myself rather than someone else but then again, if needed to take a bus or train I wouldn't hesitate to book one.

Would be different if I would have kids or would traveling with them though

Yes, trains in Europe are awesome and as an American I'm more than impressed. thumbsup.gif

However as Steven100 pointed out the fares are much higher. Thailand is still third world.

The thing I like most about trains is they often take a different path than the highways and allow a view of scenery that's different and sometimes unspoiled. Sometimes if I'm not in a hurry the train ride and scenery become part of the experience which would be missed when flying.

OP, have a good time on your trip. Enter with a relaxed attitude and let it flow even if the trains are late. Think of it as a new experience with new scenery inside and outside the train.

For a period you could book online through a (contracted) third party - http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/Default.aspx?language=1 . But that stopped perhaps 18 months ago. I made use of that service several times, very useful especially when coming from overseas. You printed your own tickets and the conductor would punch a hole in it as usual. Funny thing was, I always carry spare copies of all tickets when travelling - in separate bags. So I'd have one hole-punched ticket and one non-punched.

From that company's website / facebook I understand the contract went out to re-tender and was awarded to a company without on-line capability. So I suspect either tea money was involved, or else the ability to print as many copies of the ticket as you like was seen as a problem. Or maybe there weren't enough tickets left for Thai people, who seem to do everything at the last minute.

Apart from all that, train is my first choice when I cannot fly. I avoid the diesel motor rail trains, they are just not comfortable. But I quite enjoy the regular locomotive-and-carriages trains, such a relaxed way to travel. I usually get 2nd class sleeper, the beds convert to nice little leather seats in the daytime. Fan is fine, but air-con is nice in the hot season.

I'd advise taking something to lock your luggage to the luggage rack, I have witnessed luggage being stolen - I was too slow to realise what was going on to intervene. I carry a backpacker combination lock with built-in extendable cable.

SRT as it's known is very old and decrepit. Thailand would need to spend at least 10 billion baht to upgrade it's network and provide new trains.

They need to upgrade the booking system

Ticketing

Station facilities

and many other things ...

I remember some time ago you could travel from Bangkok to Arunyaputet ( Cambodia border ) for around 27 baht or less ....

so please tell me how you can make money at that price ?

also, why would they spend billions when thais cannot afford train ticket prices similar to western countries ?

In other words it's a loss making enterprize ..... how can it make a profit at those prices ? and if the tickets are to high nobody can afford them ...

I think a lot depends on where you are. We booked yesterday at Chonburi for the BKK to Nong Khai and back. Booking very straight forward, done on a computer and tickets printed out. That is also a cash only station. The prices were exactly as shown on the Man in Seat 61 website.

The station itself is very clean and tidy, would put a lot of the small stations in UK to shame. I have been on the train from Chonburi into Bangkok and many of the stations nearer Bangkok appeared very run down. The fare on that route was free for Thais and I think 24 baht for myself, but only 3rd class available.

I have been in 3 different types of 2nd class sleeper carriages which were all at the same price but big difference in standard so it is a bit of pot luck in that respect. I have chosen 1st class this time as the last time we had a bunch of backpackers next to us and they were very boisterous during the night. This was after the alcohol ban but I am fairly sure they were drunk.

With any form of transport, danger and speed are related and as the trains in Thailand do not travel very fast the danger is reduced accordingly. Unlikely to see anything like the recent accident in the US.

Regarding derailments. A lot of people are still thinking about some years ago when the the track south of Chiang Mai became very unstable due to rotted out wooden sleepers. Derailments were a regular, almost daily, occurance. They would be would be wouldn't they? As there was nothing holding the rails down.

Now all those rotted sleepers (there's thousands of them stacked next to the line) have been replaced by concrete ones for many, many kilometers running south out of CM. The track is smooth, quiet and fast, but of course people who don't often, if ever, travel by rail still carry the old derailment stories in their heads.

Travel by train in Thailand is slow, cheap, peaceful & relaxing. Fellow passengers are usually very friendly.

We did the trip from Chaturat to Bangkok today. Was ok. Air con didn't seem to be working (only 2nd class avail this train ) but otherwise ok...Not great but fair. Isaan countryside doesn't help. Same olé virtually the whole trip. For me the only options are drive, bus, minivan or train and train the best option...just

We did the trip from Chaturat to Bangkok today. Was ok. Air con didn't seem to be working (only 2nd class avail this train ) but otherwise ok...Not great but fair. Isaan countryside doesn't help. Same olé virtually the whole trip. For me the only options are drive, bus, minivan or train and train the best option...just

how long was the train trip ? was the countryside view ok ? would you do it again ? not expensive ?

how long was the train trip ? was the countryside view ok ? would you do it again ? not expensive ?

Well the trip from Isaan (Chaiyaphum) to Bkk about 6 hours. Train was ok...not great not bad. Then we went South from Bangkok to Bang Saphan, another 6 hours. The train south of Bangkok was a lot nicer I'm guessing because it is more tourist orientated. Countryside boring and the same not only all the way to Bangkok but south of Bangkok. Countryside in Thailand to me doesn't change a lot. Only got interesting after Hua Hin where there seemed to be a lot of monkeys up electric poles.

Turned out more expensive than I thought but depends on your perspective. A farang travelling would see it as cheap I imagine. Cost us 3,300 baht (around $130 AUS / $100 US) for 2 of us to go and come back. I wont go on a bus for safety reasons. Had too many near head ons with them but bus travel here is cheap and I guess to a Thai luxurious so I can see why the trains would struggle to compete. I do like the fact you can walk around on the train.

Well the trip from Isaan (Chaiyaphum) to Bkk about 6 hours. Train was ok...not great not bad. Then we went South from Bangkok to Bang Saphan, another 6 hours. The train south of Bangkok was a lot nicer I'm guessing because it is more tourist orientated. Countryside boring and the same not only all the way to Bangkok but south of Bangkok. Countryside in Thailand to me doesn't change a lot. Only got interesting after Hua Hin where there seemed to be a lot of monkeys up electric poles.

Turned out more expensive than I thought but depends on your perspective. A farang travelling would see it as cheap I imagine. Cost us 3,300 baht (around $130 AUS / $100 US) for 2 of us to go and come back. I wont go on a bus for safety reasons. Had too many near head ons with them but bus travel here is cheap and I guess to a Thai luxurious so I can see why the trains would struggle to compete. I do like the fact you can walk around on the train.

very good , and I think you will go by train again some day. I will ...