Prayut allays fears over charter provision

webfact

Prayut allays fears over charter provision
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday urged the public not to envision anything insidious in the draft charter's provision for a non-elected PM.

"Everyone is suspicious that it is me. I have said that I will certainly not be in that situation," he said.

"The charter writers wrote that a non-elected PM is allowed if there are so many conflicts that the government cannot function or a general election cannot be held,'' he said.

The Cabinet wants to maintain that provision because during the political deadlock, the country could not move on for six months because the government was incapacitated, as it lacked full authority.

There is an idea of finding someone to run the country's economy and the budget.

"Do not say that I or the NCPO want to continue in power,'' he said.

The prime minister appeared perturbed when reporters asked about his younger brother, General Preecha, possibly being promoted Army chief to help his administration perpetuate itself in office.

Prayut said he had never given such an order and family ties are not among the criteria for that appointment.

Sources said Prayut called a meeting tomorrow of the Cabinet, National Reform Committee (NRC) and National Legislative Assembly because he feared the reform plans laid down by the NRC did not follow the government's roadmap.

Prayut wants the NRC to ensure that reform continues to the third stage and can be accomplished by the next government.

If the NRC wants to start all over again, its work up to now would be regarded as a failure, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-allays-fears-over-charter-provision-30261478.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-03

I wont stage a coup

There are no Army staff involved in Human Trafficing

Tourist numbers in Thailand are down and I know this because half the rooms were empty in the hotel I was staying at. To reinforce that tourist numbers are down and show that I am right and official statistics are wrong, my brother Preecha stayed at another hotel and he even said most rooms were vacant..

Seems you and Prayut have a lot in common and say a lot of things that are not true.

Edited by djjamie

I wont stage a coup

Tourist numbers in Thailand are down and I know this because half the rooms were empty in the hotel I was staying at. To reinforce that tourist numbers are down and show that I am right and official statistics are wrong, my brother Preecha stayed at another hotel and he even said most rooms were vacant..

Seems you and Prayut have a lot in common and say a lot of things that are not true.

Hahahahahahaha , you're a real funny guy , Hows your Mum and Dad , you moved out Yet ???

Edited by ExPratt

"The charter writers wrote that a non-elected PM is allowed if there are so many conflicts that the government cannot function or a general election cannot be held,'' he said.

When taken with provisions that only allow Bangkok protests from 9-5 daily, meaning only Bangkok natives will ever mass another rally, the door is open for Suthep and company to force a political coup whenever they want.

They think they are being clever. Even Thais don't buy into this sophistry.

When taken with provisions that only allow Bangkok protests from 9-5 daily, meaning only Bangkok natives will ever mass another rally, the door is open for Suthep and company to force a political coup whenever they want.

The Cabinet wants to maintain that provision because during the political deadlock, the country could not move on for six months because the government was incapacitated, as it lacked full authority.

There is an idea of finding someone to run the country's economy and the budget.

There is some truth in it when one looks at the past events and forgets what and who guided the situation into that political deadlock.

The government at that time was incapacitated because it had no means to control the situation as protestors were occupying government offices used by local and regional administrations and the police force. Elections that might have concluded in a government that had full authority were prevented by demonstrators that blocked access to the polling stations for the people who wanted to participate in the elections.

Security agencies that should have been used to prevent the situation from escalating became politicised under the cover of being neutral and not supporting any side in that political conflict or so it appeared. What these agencies forgot was that they could not be neutral and taking this stance, they did in fact support the generated deadlock.

Government agencies can’t be neutral because they have sworn to uphold the constitution and the laws that go with it. Of course they can refuse to obey orders given by a government that conflict with these laws but they are not allowed to handpick orders on personal preferences or if they like these orders.

The same can be said about the demonstrators in the past and I am not only referring to the yellow shirt movement. Demonstrations have to be peaceful and permit people outside the demonstrations to attend their business as granted in the constitution and laws. Hindering others to do so is illegal and turning to violence might be regarded as an act of terrorism. If demonstrations turn violent demonstrators that don’t want to be associated with the ‘demos’ should leave or as the saying goes, if you run with wolves you will be treated like a wolf.

In my opinion we all in Thailand have to learn what democracy actually means and that involves all stake holders, top to bottom. Political parties have to learn that they cannot ride roughshod through the political landscape and ignoring the view of minorities, like PT did, or like the yellow movement seems to think, that the view of the rural population can be ignored because in their eyes they are uneducated.

If we don’t learn how to come to a political consensus I am sure that nothing will change and the next crises will follow.

The charter writers wrote that a non-elected PM is allowed if there are so many conflicts that the government cannot function or a general election cannot be held,'' he said.

So this new charter rule will declare upcoming coups fully legal ?

Who can be then this non-elected PM ? why is this left open?

How about drafting some rules preventing next coups.?

IMO an unelected PM option will never be taken in the time of a crisis - imagine parliament agreeing on anything during a political crisis, much less appointing a new, outsider PM - that makes no logical sense and I don't see it ever happening.

Assuming the charter drafters are not daft, then they know that, too.

Which means this "explanation" is just a "deflection" and has nothing to do with the intent of this provision in the constitution.

I wont stage a coup

There will be an election in 2015

There will be an election in February 2016

I am a soldier for Democracy.

A Thai could not do that.

I will put an end to corruption.

I didn't want to take the power (that one might be true if one adds "but my boss asked me to" :) )

I wont stage a coup

Everybody will be rich in 6 months if they vote for my sister.

You've moved again

Not me, Guv. I haven't been on line for over 24 hours.