8-character string causes Skype to go into meltdown

Chicog

Skype users have been hit by a major software glitch.

Sending a message with the characters will CRASH the hugely popular cross-platform messaging app.

The eight simple characters can trigger an endless loop of crashes which has reportedly forced some Skype users to reinstall the software.

We are aware of the problem and are working to provide an resolution

Skype spokesperson

Mac OS and the modern, touch-optimised Windows 8.1 version of Skype appear to be unaffected.

I recently updated Skype, and my PC crashed and I had to get in an expert to get everything up and running again.

Amazingly, I went to my lap top while the PC was being repaired, and Skype had crashed there too, but not taken the whole computer with it.

Amazing that it hasn't been discovered before because those 8 characters would have been used a lot ---maybe when it crashed before people didn't connect the relevance to what they had typed, ..........................coffee1.gif

Amazing that it hasn't been discovered before because those 8 characters would have been used a lot ---maybe when it crashed before people didn't connect the relevance to what they had typed, ..........................coffee1.gif

Why would a malformed URL have been used a lot?