Purchasing Thai SIM card for tourist use.

Visiting July and August 2015.

Can we buy a Thai Sim Card?

What is the best way to do this?

Can we have a Thai person buy the card prior to our arrival?

Quality of service more important than cost - visiting Bangkok, Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Pattaya.

Thank you in anticipation,

Yep - as long as your phone is unlocked. Easiest way is probably to buy one at the airport - there are counters just after you go through customs. I guess you could have a Thai person buy you one, but there's little point, and if you do it in person they'll make sure it works on your phone. The operators are all pretty similar in terms of coverage as far as I can tell.

You could have a Thai person buy one before you arrive, but as mentioned above, probably not necessary. As for the service providers, I've heard True has the best 4G coverage.

How about we move this over to the mobile communications forum.

Topic moved.

I have been using DTAC for several years and they seem ok and good value on calls and txt. 4G is limited outside the main centers but their 3G coverage is excellent.

Data Packs vary but I get the THB399 pre-paid for 3Gb with 30 day expiry and can top up with 7 day pre-paid or even 24hrs, 100Mb only THB9 per day pre-paid.

Note pretty much all hotels, larger restaurants and bars have free wifi.

DTAC have a kiosk just past customs at Suvarnabhumi Airport. All you need is the cash, passport and an unlocked phone.

Give the baggage handler a good tip, up front. They'll get you through everything in good order.

Bon voyage.

What on earth are you on about? Who even meets the baggage handlers, let alone gives them a tip?