Revoking Thaksin's passports 'will have no effect'

webfact

Many posters on TVF know pretty well where I stand regarding Thaksin and family..

However I respect all others opinions. Thaksin is a master of PR, and he is using that very cleverly to keep the pot simmering. His opposition, unfortunately, seem rather inept when it comes to making moves. If this were a chess game, Thaksin would have checkmated this lot in 10 minutes and gone for coffee..

He is like herpes, he just won't go away and that is the problem for the present government.

Their ineptitude can be illustrated by some of the rather bizarre announcements regarding tourist numbers, the railway upgrade, particularly the HST and all that fluff.

However, being Thais they just cannot or will not ignore him (the powers that be, that is.) He barks and they react, rather like pitching pebbles at a noisy soi dog.

The man has seemingly inexhaustible resources, numerous residences worldwide and is free as a bird to travel just about anywhere. This may prove a slight hindrance for him due to the passport fiasco, but knowing Thaksin's style, he has much better connections than P.M. Prayuth.

ratcatcher, you say that he just won't go away ? Well, why is that ? Yes, he's got plenty of money, and can travel just about anywhere. Okay, why won't he go away, just leave politics and enjoy his retirement ?

Is it because he's still got belief that if there was to be a general election between him and Abhisit's Democrats, well, he feels that he's still got a chance (some would say a good chance) of getting more votes than Abhisit ?

You want to talk about the ineptitude of the present government, how they make bizarre announcements to the newspapers. Well, yes, they've made some silly announcements, but with Thaksin, would there be any difference in actual tourist numbers and the railway upgrades ? Yes, the present government does not make itself look good when it talks to the press, but anybody can say, that's because they are a load of army men. smile.png

Army men don't have to make themselves look good in front of the television cameras, so when they take up politics, they're not going to change and look good. I'm not exactly against Yingluk, ThaiVisa people were constantly making comments about her so-called 'nonsense comments' in front of the press.

Thaksin has much better connnections than P.M. Prayuth ? Well, yes. With Thaksin, the USA and China are not clamping down on him. If the USA wanted Thaksin out of the way, they could easily put pressure on all their 'friends' to not have contact with Thaksin. I think they're actually backing him. With China, they're not really interested in getting involved in Thailand's internal disputes. So, America and China are not interested in making Thaksin disappear, that's another reason why he won't go away. That's why this latest move to revoke his passports will have little effect.

Before he can stand for election in Thailand he has to come back and start his prison sentence. After a period of time which I think is about 50% of his sentence (and exemplary behaviour) he will be elegible to apply for a pardon but not an amnesty. If it is not granted he will have to complete his sentence.

Unfortunately if he does not get an amnesty then as a convicted person he will not be allowed to stand in any election.

This of course ignores the fact that should he return then the 15 other and more serious charges will be brought against him. He could of course apply for bail but as he has done a runner once I don't think that will happen.

So in any event he personally cannot stand for election in Thailand. He can of course get yet another family member to be yet another clone for him but considering what has happened to Somchai and Yingluck under his guidance, family volunteers may be a little thin on the ground.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many posters on TVF know pretty well where I stand regarding Thaksin and family..

However I respect all others opinions. Thaksin is a master of PR, and he is using that very cleverly to keep the pot simmering. His opposition, unfortunately, seem rather inept when it comes to making moves. If this were a chess game, Thaksin would have checkmated this lot in 10 minutes and gone for coffee..

He is like herpes, he just won't go away and that is the problem for the present government.

Their ineptitude can be illustrated by some of the rather bizarre announcements regarding tourist numbers, the railway upgrade, particularly the HST and all that fluff.

However, being Thais they just cannot or will not ignore him (the powers that be, that is.) He barks and they react, rather like pitching pebbles at a noisy soi dog.

The man has seemingly inexhaustible resources, numerous residences worldwide and is free as a bird to travel just about anywhere. This may prove a slight hindrance for him due to the passport fiasco, but knowing Thaksin's style, he has much better connections than P.M. Prayuth.

ratcatcher, you say that he just won't go away ? Well, why is that ? Yes, he's got plenty of money, and can travel just about anywhere. Okay, why won't he go away, just leave politics and enjoy his retirement ?

Is it because he's still got belief that if there was to be a general election between him and Abhisit's Democrats, well, he feels that he's still got a chance (some would say a good chance) of getting more votes than Abhisit ?

You want to talk about the ineptitude of the present government, how they make bizarre announcements to the newspapers. Well, yes, they've made some silly announcements, but with Thaksin, would there be any difference in actual tourist numbers and the railway upgrades ? Yes, the present government does not make itself look good when it talks to the press, but anybody can say, that's because they are a load of army men. smile.png

Army men don't have to make themselves look good in front of the television cameras, so when they take up politics, they're not going to change and look good. I'm not exactly against Yingluk, ThaiVisa people were constantly making comments about her so-called 'nonsense comments' in front of the press.

Thaksin has much better connnections than P.M. Prayuth ? Well, yes. With Thaksin, the USA and China are not clamping down on him. If the USA wanted Thaksin out of the way, they could easily put pressure on all their 'friends' to not have contact with Thaksin. I think they're actually backing him. With China, they're not really interested in getting involved in Thailand's internal disputes. So, America and China are not interested in making Thaksin disappear, that's another reason why he won't go away. That's why this latest move to revoke his passports will have little effect.

Before he can stand for election in Thailand he has to come back and start his prison sentence. After a period of time which I think is about 50% of his sentence (and exemplary behaviour) he will be elegible to apply for a pardon but not an amnesty. If it is not granted he will have to complete his sentence.

Unfortunately if he does not get an amnesty then as a convicted person he will not be allowed to stand in any election.

This of course ignores the fact that should he return then the 15 other and more serious charges will be brought against him. He could of course apply for bail but as he has done a runner once I don't think that will happen.

So in any event he personally cannot stand for election in Thailand. He can of course get yet another family member to be yet another clone for him but considering what has happened to Somchai and Yingluck under his guidance, family volunteers may be a little thin on the ground.

Yes, billd766, I meant somebody standing as a proxy for his party.

Can he find a replacement ? Well, all he needs is a new member of staff to be the figure-head of the party. His sister, Yingluk, she's on trial now. It might be the case that Yingluk doesn't actually hate him. Maybe she's got belief that the courts won't find her guilty (they're too scared), her brother might take serious and drastic action if a jail term is handed out. Yes, he will look very bad if the sister goes to jail, and he does nothing, and he is still living in luxury outside of Thailand.

But if she doesn't get a jail term, maybe she's willing to be the head of whatever Thaksin party, and try to be in charge of Thailand again ?

Yes, billd766, I meant somebody standing as a proxy for his party.

Can he find a replacement ? Well, all he needs is a new member of staff to be the figure-head of the party. His sister, Yingluk, she's on trial now. It might be the case that Yingluk doesn't actually hate him. Maybe she's got belief that the courts won't find her guilty (they're too scared), her brother might take serious and drastic action if a jail term is handed out. Yes, he will look very bad if the sister goes to jail, and he does nothing, and he is still living in luxury outside of Thailand.

But if she doesn't get a jail term, maybe she's willing to be the head of whatever Thaksin party, and try to be in charge of Thailand again ?

IIRC Yingluck has a 5 year suspension from politics so she couldn't become his proxy for the next 4 a bit years anyway and I suspect but don't actually know that she may be quite happy about that. It keeps her out of the "firing line" for a while and will let her get on with whatever life she will have at the end of her current trials and tribulations.

I don't think she is a bad person at all but I feel that her brother put her into an impossible situation that she had no preparation or training for and she believed that he could protect her from any harm.

Unfortunately it fell apart and it really was little to do with her personally but as she was Thaksin's clone or whatever, she got stuck with being the person in charge and having the final responsibility and as they say "the buck stopped with her".

She will be the one who suffers the punishment when in reality it is Thaksin that caused the problems in the first place. He has a habit of only trusting the family and when hit-the-fan.gif he is the one who walks away scot free while the family suffers for him.

"Revoking Thaksin's passports 'will have no effect'"

Apart from Thaksin needing a few more pages in his Montenegro passport that is and offering one of his daughters the chance to post on Instagram that daddy is on a tour doing global work, and that she misses him, but that's normal for a daughter who is 29 and has a Thai and USA passport and is afraid to travel.