Does The 90 Days Cover "visa Time" As Well

First time I went to Thailand I had a tourist visa (60 day stay) which I got extended at an imigration office (additional 30 days). Under the newly enforced reg's would someone be able to do a standard border crossing and return immediately? Or does the time spent in the country using the visa count against the traveller?

...Meaning, if someone travelled for 90 days with a visa, do they have to leave Thailand for 90 days before they return using the visa-on-arrival provision?

Edited by thehawk

I'm from Canada, so normally exempt (i.e. can get visa on arrival). So if I had a proper tourist visa for 90 days, could I leave and re-enter with a visa-on-arrival? Pretty sure the answer is no, but I thought this example might help someone out. Peace

so it only applies to the visa-on-arrival portion of the stay - so someone could potentially stay for 180 days if they hade a tourist visa for a 90 day stay and then used the visa-on-arrival for an additional 90 days?

(sidenote: dont know why i'm bothering with this - not even planning a trip to thailand any time soon, and when i do i'll be moving there)