A Meal to Remember...Pern's.

Frank James

Around the corner from the venerable Nakornping Condos, there is a small restaurant row, four establishments side by side, all of good quality, ranging from sushi (don't know the name of that place but it draws a crowd), to "Mexican" (Salsa Kitchen), to everyday Thai cuisine (Lemon Tree), to eclectic "farang" (Pern's).

I have never written a food or restaurant review. Such writing is a specialty beyond my ability or interest. However, last night I enjoyed a meal that was so outstanding, I have to tell the Chiangmai "World." Pern's is a small, intimate place that offers a good selection of Western dishes. I have eaten there three times in the past week, and every meal was great. Last night, being quite hungry and needing a morale boost, I ordered one of their steak dinners, featuring top quality Australian beef. For 750 baht, which far exceeds my usual eating out budget, I got a sirloin steak, sauteed potatoes, chopped spinach, and a green salad. Almost forgot to mention the four slices of hot home made bread with an oil and vinegar dip. So GOOD!

Back home in America, a steak meal was a rare event for me. I have had some great ones, but I cam honestly say, this was the best, most perfectly prepared slice of beef I have ever eaten. The last time I can remember ordering such a meal was at least ten years ago at a well known establishment in Seattle, and even then, the tab was much higher than 750 baht, with waiters who all seemed to come from the Actors Studio. A food writer could come up with a better word than PERFECT to describe this steak, but I cannot.

I am writing this to express my appreciation to the staff and chefs at Mr. Brian Pern's fine restaurant, and also because there have been threads in this forum in the past in which people have asked where to go for a good steak.

This is it.

Edited by Frank James

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around the corner from the venerable Nakornping Condos, there is a small restaurant row, four establishments side by side, all of good quality, ranging from sushi (don't know the name of that place but it draws a crowd), to "Mexican" (Salsa Kitchen), to everyday Thai cuisine (Lemon Tree), to eclectic "farang" (Pern's).

I have never written a food or restaurant review. Such writing is a specialty beyond my ability or interest. However, last night I enjoyed a meal that was so outstanding, I have to tell the Chiangmai "World." Pern's is a small, intimate place that offers a good selection of Western dishes. I have eaten there three times in the past week, and every meal was great. Last night, being quite hungry and needing a morale boost, I ordered one of their steak dinners, featuring top quality Australian beef. For 750 baht, which far exceeds my usual eating out budget, I got a sirloin steak, sauteed potatoes, chopped spinach, and a green salad. Almost forgot to mention the four slices of hot home made bread with an oil and vinegar dip. So GOOD!

Back home in America, a steak meal was a rare event for me. I have had some great ones, but I cam honestly say, this was the best, most perfectly prepared slice of beef I have ever eaten. The last time I can remember ordering such a meal was at least ten years ago at a well known establishment in Seattle, and even then, the tab was much higher than 750 baht, with waiters who all seemed to come from the Actors Studio. A food writer could come up with a better word than PERFECT to describe this steak, but I cannot.

I am writing this to express my appreciation to the staff and chefs at Mr. Brian Pern's fine restaurant, and also because there have been threads in this forum in the past in which people have asked where to go for a good steak.

This is it.

good job thanks. was your Seattle experience el gaucho

Have to agree with you.

10 days ago a group of us had the nicest NZ lamb shank and vegies I've ever had.

Along with a pleasant red wine, it all came to less than 500baht. Above my normal budget, but this was a great night out.

First rate staff too!

Good on yer Brian!! wai.gif

Coincidentally I also ate at Pern's last night. Those steaks did look appealing (maybe next time) but I only had a moderate appetite and wanted something less. I had the pan-fried dory fish with potatoes and vegetables. It was most excellent for around 250 Bt. I'll be back...

Salsa Kitchen is not authentic Mexican/California Mexican/Tex Mex, but it does taste GOOD. It is more the chefs own creations using local ingredients that are in season and based on Mexican food.

I have never tried Pern's, but I ate at some of his other restaurants in the past and enjoyed the food. The steak sure sounds good.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Ask Brian about getting on his email list, or check out his Facebook, because you almost always need reservations if you want to enjoy his Wednesday night special. The food is great, of course, but it's the half-price wine that really packs 'em in.

Salsa Kitchen is not authentic Mexican/California Mexican/Tex Mex, but it does taste GOOD. It is more the chefs own creations using local ingredients that are in season and based on Mexican food.

I have never tried Pern's, but I ate at some of his other restaurants in the past and enjoyed the food. The steak sure sounds good.

Edit: self-delete.

Simpler version:

Salsa Kitchen = good.

Pern's = crap service.

Edited by TheAppletons

Edit: self-delete.

Simpler version:

Salsa Kitchen = good.

Pern's = crap service.

You must have had limited experience with Pern's. We dine there once or twice a week. On a busy night, it is possible to get a waiter who doesn't work there often and/or find the staff very busy. But usually, you're assisted by Mickey, their very able and cheerful waitress. She remembers what you ordered last time, even making notes in her smartphone about your name and favorite menu items.

Edited by NancyL

A trusted friend from California tells me Salsa Kitchen is very good. Thanks for the tip.

Very good for what? It can't be Mexican food.

Very good and close enough.

I guess if closer then Mexico is the only requirement then it's very good (as Mexico is very far)

I agree that Miguel's is really good for being in the middle of South East Asia and is fairly authentic California-style Mexican.food. It is my favorite in town.

I only ate there once or twice, because it is so out of the way, but The Mexican Grill is pretty good too. .

have on and off in the last 5years eat at perns,and never once, have I not enjoyed my meal,usually its the special,advertised on the board outside the restaurant,that I choose,and its really good value, and big dishes as well,moderate prices.

has this place always been called Perns? i recall going to that location about 3 times, but a long time ago. there was a wine bar in the back corner to the left with a decent selection of wine. the food was indeed excellent and fairly priced. the one thing that put me off, and i hope this doesn't offend anyone, is that there seemed to be a considerable gay farang clientele, and twice elderly farangs were openly 'smooching', petting, and giggling with very young - (17-18ish) Thai Yai boys at the table. it really put me off.

Have to agree with you.

10 days ago a group of us had the nicest NZ lamb shank and vegies I've ever had.

Along with a pleasant red wine, it all came to less than 500baht. Above my normal budget, but this was a great night out.

First rate staff too!

Good on yer Brian!! wai.gif

this gets my attention...shanks and wine for 500. please elaborate.

I have to give dittos on a number of comments. Pern's has not disappointed on any occasion I have been there and the service is always very good. Also, as Nancy mentioned, Wednesday night's wine special is very nice and his house wine is very good (maybe you shouldn't have mentioned that, Nancy). I also like the Salsa Kitchen who has one particular salsa I enjoy very much. I also can't complain about any meal I've ever had at Miguel's and Duke's (river location) has a very good choice of Mexican dishes on Tuesday nights.

The development of this thread has made me laugh out loud. It's entertainment. Keep it going lads.

Getting back to the food, I'm convinced from many of the comments here that the food at Pern's is at least very good. I've never been there but thank you OP for the heads up. I may give it a go in the future. One question, where do you park a car in that area?

The development of this thread has made me laugh out loud. It's entertainment. Keep it going lads.

Getting back to the food, I'm convinced from many of the comments here that the food at Pern's is at least very good. I've never been there but thank you OP for the heads up. I may give it a go in the future. One question, where do you park a car in that area?

you can park in the dirt lot behind KSK for 10 Bath. or in the underground lot as you wish.

Possibly park across street in 'pump Shell'. Pretend to be a Shell customer.

It's not necessary to pretend to be a Shell customer, Shell has a big lot and appear to have an agreement with Salsa Kitchen and Pern's to let their customers part there.

has this place always been called Perns? i recall going to that location about 3 times, but a long time ago. there was a wine bar in the back corner to the left with a decent selection of wine. the food was indeed excellent and fairly priced. the one thing that put me off, and i hope this doesn't offend anyone, is that there seemed to be a considerable gay farang clientele, and twice elderly farangs were openly 'smooching', petting, and giggling with very young - (17-18ish) Thai Yai boys at the table. it really put me off.

We dine at Pern's once or twice a week and while from time-to-time I've seen older western men with younger Thai or Burmese guys (no way to determine their exact ethnic origin), I've never seen any open public displays of affection between the customers. Well, maybe some giggling or loud laughter from some of the diners, but usually that's just foreigners who have a bit too much to drink and are laughing at each other's jokes. You're making the place sound like a gay meet-up bar which it clearly is not. It's a place for good, civilized dining very welcoming for all customers -- gay and straight, male and female, couples and people on their own. All are made to feel welcome. About the only customers who would be out of place are young children -- there is no kids menu or coloring books or much to keep them interested.

We dine at Pern's once or twice a week and while from time-to-time I've seen older western men with younger Thai or Burmese guys (no way to determine their exact ethnic origin), I've never seen any open public displays of affection between the customers. Well, maybe some giggling or loud laughter from some of the diners, but usually that's just foreigners who have a bit too much to drink and are laughing at each other's jokes. You're making the place sound like a gay meet-up bar which it clearly is not. It's a place for good, civilized dining very welcoming for all customers -- gay and straight, male and female, couples and people on their own. All are made to feel welcome. About the only customers who would be out of place are young children -- there is no kids menu or coloring books or much to keep them interested.

i only recounted my experiences there. i never said it was a gay meet-up bar did I? only that there seemed to be a larger than average gay clientele and some behaving inappropriately. but most importantly as i stated previously, the food was excellent, staff attentive and fairly priced.

Maybe some kids need entertaining all the time. Mine don't watch tv (they are sat with their back towards a screen if one is in a restaurant) or play with devices at the dining room table. I know Nancy you were speaking in general terms but funnily at a new place we tried last time my youngest, who just turned 3, said "no Mommy, no good" when she reached for a slice of the pizza. To give him credit it wasn't good but he also is discerning with sushi and other dining options. Maybe cause he's concentrating on the food and the company.

Back back to my off-topic issue (not Pern related as I don't recall if they have tvs on) I don't understand the need to have a tv blaring in almost all the restaurants here, of course excluding sports themed establishments etc. Not only is it distracting and noisy but 1/2 the time the staff is staring at the screen and it's hard to get their attention. What's the story?

i only recounted my experiences there. i never said it was a gay meet-up bar did I? only that there seemed to be a larger than average gay clientele and some behaving inappropriately. but most importantly as i stated previously, the food was excellent, staff attentive and fairly priced.

Based upon the comments in this thread the quality of the food at Perns must have improved a lot over the couple of years since we last went there. Our experience was that fish seemed to be the only thing that they did well, which was excellent, but if you chose a pasta dish or the steak it would be a real chore to eat it. When I had a particularly bad steak, so tough that it couldn’t be cut with the knife that they provided let alone chewed fully before swallowing, I was told by the waiter that it must have been because I ordered it “medium” rather than “well done”. No apology for the bad steak, it didn’t even seem to occur to them to try to make it right. And about the clientele there, it didn’t appear to be a gay pick-up place to us either, nor did we ever witness inappropriate conduct there, but there is something about the place that causes it to disproportionately attract gay couples. It’s been a couple of years since then, but definitely on days that they were offering specials on the wine the place would be full of couples consisting of 50+ yr old farang men with <30yr old Asian boys. It might not be politically correct to notice that, but that’s the vibe of the place.

Edited by suzannegoh

No televisions in the place, so I guess that gives everyone more time to look around at their fellow diners!

Pern's does have a very good guitar player in on Wednesday evenings, early though. He's done by 8 pm, I think. And there's talk of some sort of entertainment starting up on Saturday evenings.

Wow, I like Perns and will sometimes pop in there for a pint of excellent Fullers London Pride but 'good' is definitely not the word I would use to describe the Wednesday night guitar player, and mumbler.

If you want to see a good guitarist go to Cha Cha bar in Hangdong.