Ministry of Science: Para rubber to be used in Thai railway tracks

webfact

MOST: para rubber to be used in railway tracks

PNECO580604001001301_04062015_023032.jpg

BANGKOK, 4 June 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Science and Technology has successfully improved the durability of para rubber such that it can replace wooden planks used underneath train tracks.

The ministry and the Thailand Institute of Scientific and Technological Research (TISTR) have been working with IRC (ASIA) Research Ltd. under an agreement to raise the market value of para rubber through research and development.

Science and Technology Minister Dr. Pichet Durongkaveroj said the new development helps maintain rubber prices and curb expensive imports of track parts.

The increased number of railway construction projects by the State Railway of Thailand will require as many as 25 million rubber planks, worth a total of 1.5 billion baht.

The quality of rubber used in plank production will be further tested to assure its durability in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025 standards.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-04 footer_n.gif

The Ministry of Science and Technology has successfully improved the durability of para rubber

Shouldn't that read mysteriously or surprisingly improved? Just in time to get rid of the rubber surplus laugh.png

Edited by Anthony5

Rubber sleepers,Hmmm, wont the trains be bouncing off the tracks more than

they usually do now, or could make for smoother ride biggrin.png

PS do termites eat Para wood ?

regards worgeordie

just need to replace it every 2 years gigglem.gif

No actually there are chemicals that allows wood last forever.....(I guess it is a bit poison)

Mainlining oft requires flexibiliosness, fortunately locals are experts on cashflow and spinal tap.

Some are unsure about siamese business acumen but from the grandest office to the humblest stall I've never known a thai trader to give me too much change.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Mainlining oft requires flexibiliosness, fortunately locals are experts on cashflow and spinal tap.

Some are unsure about siamese business acumen but from the grandest office to the humblest stall I've never known a thai trader to give me too much change.

I'm sure that makes sense...to you!

Rubber is just one of the ingredients. Not sure why they intend to use new rubber when they can recycle old tyres.

From this article:

"The most modern material being used for railway sleepers, plastic composite, represents manufacturers' latest attempt to find a material that fulfils the necessary criteria without any significant drawbacks. Composite sleepers are made from various mixtures of raw materials (plastic, rubber from used tyres, waste fibreglass) to create a synthetic material with the pliability and accessibility of wood, coupled with the durability of concrete.

Composite sleepers have the additional advantage of being made from mostly recycled material, and are fully recyclable (they can be recycled into new sleepers). A 2006 report by the waste and resources action programme (WRAP) notes that a mile of wooden sleepers requires 810 mature oak trees, while an equivalent length of composite sleepers uses two million plastic bottles, 8.9 million plastic bags and 10,800 post-consumer tyres that could otherwise end up in landfill."

Nothing but concrete sleepers, 100x millions, in China. Honestly, the best rail system i've ever found. Some problems due to overcrowding, toilet overflows, but the damn things run on time, are cheap, generally. Hi-speed rail also good but not so cheap.

Nothing but concrete sleepers, 100x millions, in China. Honestly, the best rail system i've ever found. Some problems due to overcrowding, toilet overflows, but the damn things run on time, are cheap, generally. Hi-speed rail also good but not so cheap.

Yes , no one puts wooden sleepers in any more , there are some occasion where crossings cannot be put on concrete for maintenance reasons. Never sen the rubber variety. Wiki

Plastic/rubber composite[edit]

In more recent times, a number of companies are selling composite railroad ties manufactured from recycled plastic resins,[6]and recycled rubber. Manufacturers claim a service life comparable with wooden ties, and that the ties are impervious to rot andinsect attack,[7][8][9] and can be modified to provide additional lateral stability[7] while otherwise exhibiting properties similar to their wooden counterparts in terms of damping impact loads and sound absorption. Dimples can be added on the sides and bottom the better to grip the ballast.

Aside from the environmental benefits of using recycled material, plastic ties usually replace timber ties soaked in creosote, the latter being a toxic chemical,[10] and are themselves recyclable.[7] Plastic/Rubber composite ties are used in other rail applications such as underground mining operations.[

Concrete ties/sleepers are the products of choice for Thailand and have been for quite some time. I can't see the very powerful concrete companies giving up a market easily.

"The quality of rubber used in plank production will be further tested to assure its durability in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025 standards."

ISO/IEC 17025 General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories

So, the results will be (should be?) reliable. Now waiting for the results.

I have my doubts rubber, or composites, are up to the job. Without serious testing, including laying test track to run real trains on, I will remain truely sceptical about it.