Us & Them

DD13

you can have a rai or 2, to bugger about on,

just put it in your wifes name or if you have children and dont trust your wife put it in the childs name and lease it for 30 + 30 + 30 that should see you out,,lol

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can have a rai or 2, to bugger about on,

just put it in your wifes name or if you have children and dont trust your wife put it in the childs name and lease it for 30 + 30 + 30 that should see you out,,lol

Yeah, but quite a few of us don't have a Thai wife. Or Thai kids. Nor the desire to have either...

2.4% interest is an average rate,you can get a fixed term where you pay no tax,but immigration dont recognise the account if using for retirement extension cos you cannot draw on it.

As far as buying a condo,its difficult to see capital appreciation cos most people want to buy new/off the plan rather than 2nd. hand....also over a number of years the building falls into disrepair unless you have a good management team.

If you buy high end,and i'm talking millions of baht worth,yes you can get capital appreciation.

Better to keep money back home and bring over when necessary,and rent here.

Last month I used my 11 month fixed term account with Bangkopk Bank for my retirement visa renewal

2.4% interest is an average rate,you can get a fixed term where you pay no tax,but immigration dont recognise the account if using for retirement extension cos you cannot draw on it.

As far as buying a condo,its difficult to see capital appreciation cos most people want to buy new/off the plan rather than 2nd. hand....also over a number of years the building falls into disrepair unless you have a good management team.

If you buy high end,and i'm talking millions of baht worth,yes you can get capital appreciation.

Last month I used my 11 month fixed term account with Bangkopk Bank for my retirement visa renewal

Where?

Where?

Jomtien

Where?

Jomtien

You can draw from most fixed term accounts but with loss of interest

Just my 2 cents. Thailand's laws on property ownership, businesses, etc. protect the Thai people from outside interference. I for one, like the fact that someone is looking out for their country and people. You know the rules and can leave anytime you want. If I own a business in any country, it should be my right to run it like I want. It was my money and time that was put into the business. If I want to charge some more than others, my choice. If the customer does not like it, they can go somewhere else. If you think Thailand is the only place with tiered pricing, you are very naive. At least here the ones with more money are being charged more. In the west it is the other way around.

Just my 2 cents. Thailand's laws on property ownership, businesses, etc. protect the Thai people from outside interference. I for one, like the fact that someone is looking out for their country and people. You know the rules and can leave anytime you want. If I own a business in any country, it should be my right to run it like I want. It was my money and time that was put into the business. If I want to charge some more than others, my choice. If the customer does not like it, they can go somewhere else. If you think Thailand is the only place with tiered pricing, you are very naive. At least here the ones with more money are being charged more. In the west it is the other way around.

If you think the poor people own all the land in Thailand.cheesy.gif

If you think the poor people own all the land in Thailand.cheesy.gif

Never said that the poor people own all the land in Thailand. Where do the poor people own all the land?

Some years ago and even today the Thai developers Thai Lawyers and Thai real estate agents are promoting us openly a company structure to control your house and land,how this can be promoted by them all while its illegal? How can lawyers and developers and even land offices then promote and cooperate with illegal constructions?Why Thai lawyers offer us 90 year LAND LEASES even on documents? But in fact its a poor 30 years lease only ?

How you think a Russian buyer will feel for example who takes his advice form his Thai lawyer and land office and then afterwards finds out he has purchased something in a complete illegal way?Or that is lease is 30 years only and not 90 years as stated in his documents?

I do not call this good government protection...I guess no one wanted to tell the truth upfront to the buyer cause it would kill the sale!

You are trying so hard to say, "I'm really smart. It wasn't my fault. Someone else is responsible for my loss."

10 people on this forum would have given you sound advice 10 years ago if you had but asked. - Don't buy in Thailand. You are not big enough and you don't know enough about it.

Real estate people are crooks whatever the country. Sorry Wow. You messed up. You might as well admit it. It ain't nobody's b

You are saying : Don,t buy in Thailand !

Seems that,s the first thing you said here that makes perfect sense hahaha.

If Thailand was first world it would be at first world prices like Singapore. Thailand is cheap because it has warts.

Poor example. Singapore real estate prices are sky high because it is an island.

Real estate prices in Thailand are not that much lower than a "first world country".

New house on an acre of land where I can see the ocean Thailand $100,000. Florida $3,000,000. You are so wrong I can't even discuss it.

In Florida, you can buy land where you can either see the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico. In Thailand ... oh forget it.

If Thailand was first world it would be at first world prices like Singapore. Thailand is cheap because it has warts.

Poor example. Singapore real estate prices are sky high because it is an island.

Real estate prices in Thailand are not that much lower than a "first world country".

New house on an acre of land where I can see the ocean Thailand $100,000. Florida $3,000,000. You are so wrong I can't even discuss it.

In Florida, you can buy land where you can either see the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico. In Thailand ... oh forget it.

He is obviously desperately trying to compare apples to oranges comparing an "acre" of land in Thailand to USA... $100,000 to $3,000,000

So you are saying land prices in the USA are on average 30x more expensive than Thailand? Give me a break.

I refuse to invest any money in this country.

As a visitor even if you are on a long term visa you have NO RIGHTS here and the Government of the day can change the rules as they wish.

I have a friend bought a condo in Phuket in 1991, he wanted to sell it in 2012 & he was told he can only sell it to a Thai as that building is full @ 49% ownership.

All of the cards are stacked against you here. Keep your money invested in your home country.coffee1.gif

I refuse to invest any money in this country.

As a visitor even if you are on a long term visa you have NO RIGHTS here and the Government of the day can change the rules as they wish.

I have a friend bought a condo in Phuket in 1991, he wanted to sell it in 2012 & he was told he can only sell it to a Thai as that building is full @ 49% ownership.

All of the cards are stacked against you here. Keep your money invested in your home country.coffee1.gif

that does not make any sense. whatever the current makeup of the demographic if he is a farang and he sells to a farang it stays the same as it is now.

or did the rules change between 1991 and 2012?

He is obviously desperately trying to compare apples to oranges comparing an "acre" of land in Thailand to USA... $100,000 to $3,000,000

So you are saying land prices in the USA are on average 30x more expensive than Thailand? Give me a break.

You wrote, "Real estate prices in Thailand are not that much lower than a "first world country".

I wrote "New house on an acre of land where I can see the ocean Thailand $100,000. Florida $3,000,000."

If you want to play the game about what is a Gulf or what is an Ocean go ahead. I had a house in Florida on an acre close to a large body of salt water for 3 million USD. I had a similar home on an acre in Thailand close to a large body of salt water for $100,000.

I said real estate and I said house on an acre. Is land 30 x more expensive in Thailand? No. Is a home on land near a large body of salt water 30x more expensive in the USA? Maybe.

Real estate in Thailand is much much lower than in a first world country. Are places in Bangkok priced the same as places in NYC? A few but that is a small minority. So to flush out all of the picky people in general land and homes together in Thailand in all but the most expensive neighborhoods are far less money in Thailand.

I can live a very nice lifestyle here on Social Security I could not do that in the USA. That's why I'm here.

Edited by lostoday

Last year, my family visited a national park/rainforest walk in North QLD (owned by aboriginals) and an island on the great barrier reef. We were with a family ofThai friends who were visiting from their home in southern Australia. For park entry and the island transfers, my family paid LOCALS rate and our friends were charged about 20% more. whistling.gif

These discussions almost always seem to divert to a discussion where the poster moved to Thailand primarily, if not purely, for economic reasons. While economics are a fact of life for virtually all of us, and the world is certainly not my oyster, my wife and I do enjoy our time in Thailand, and I must admit that I would find it a bit depressing if that was the predominate driver for living in Thailand vs. where we would really prefer to live.

These discussions almost always seem to divert to a discussion where the poster moved to Thailand primarily, if not purely, for economic reasons. While economics are a fact of life for virtually all of us, and the world is certainly not my oyster, my wife and I do enjoy our time in Thailand, and I must admit that I would find it a bit depressing if that was the predominate driver for living in Thailand vs. where we would really prefer to live.

As we seeking a wife...it can only end in failure or disillusion.

You should come here because you actually like the place.

Last year, my family visited a national park/rainforest walk in North QLD (owned by aboriginals) and an island on the great barrier reef. We were with a family ofThai friends who were visiting from their home in southern Australia. For park entry and the island transfers, my family paid LOCALS rate and our friends were charged about 20% more. whistling.gif

good example. I have 2 more:

1) Anyone been to the Singapore gardens by the bay? Realised that locals pay lower rates than foreigners?

2) Anyone been skiing in Switzerland? Realised that locals get a significant discount on the skiing tickets?

You will encounter many such things all over the world. Don't get upset. Either accept it and move on, or go somewhere else. Nothing to do with racism.

Ah and in Thailand I can often get the same rates as Thais when I show my Thai driving license.

Why dont you go scavange actually realty websites and show me comparable homes in comparable communities that cost 30x more in the USA than Thailand.

You are asking me to disprove your fiction and that's not how it works. You wrote, "Real estate prices in Thailand are not that much lower than a "first world country."

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/29-Grouper-Hole-Dr_Boca-Grande_FL_33921_M57208-29200

You can get the same thing in Thailand for $100,000 or 3 and half million baht.

Sure Thailand is going to have warts in infrastructure that is why it is so cheap. If you want first world amenities you will have to go to the first world.

I live in Thailand for purely economic reasons. I can afford a nice home, wife, mistress, girlfriend, motorcycle, great entertainment and good health care.

Its different strokes for different folks. I knew a fellow whose wife divorced him because he wouldn't leave Spokane.

What other reason besides economic reasons are there to live anywhere? I live close to a good Western hospital and that costs me a certain amount of money. If I was rich I'd live on an island with personal jet and medical staff on call.

Don't we all live where we live because of money? I have a lifestyle like Hugh Hefner. If I had his money I'd live in California. But I don't so I have all the important parts of his lifestyle but removed to Thailand.

Since you, F000999, made the statement, you should provide evidence to support it.

BTW, it is common sense (and supported by macro economics) that real estate in Thailand is much cheaper than in Western Europe.

Why dont you go scavange actually realty websites and show me comparable homes in comparable communities that cost 30x more in the USA than Thailand.

Edited by Fab5BKK

I live in Thailand for purely economic reasons. I can afford a nice home, wife, mistress, girlfriend, motorcycle, great entertainment and good health care.

Its different strokes for different folks. I knew a fellow whose wife divorced him because he wouldn't leave Spokane.

What other reason besides economic reasons are there to live anywhere? I live close to a good Western hospital and that costs me a certain amount of money. If I was rich I'd live on an island with personal jet and medical staff on call.

Don't we all live where we live because of money? I have a lifestyle like Hugh Hefner. If I had his money I'd live in California. But I don't so I have all the important parts of his lifestyle but removed to Thailand.

There are many factors other than economics to live anywhere. Climate, politics, access to things and ideas that you are interested in such as art or hobbies.

Availability of things you need to either work or enjoy. Do you like the food? If you loved going to concerts and music events, Chiang Rai would offer bugger all. Personally, moving to Thailand restored my creative spirit and that's mainly why I'm here. Inspiration. Some people are here strictly for money reasons and many hate the people and the country. That is sad.

Keep your money in the homeland. All of it. If you bought a condo and decided to leave after a couple of years of more of the same treatment, I doubt selling it would gain your money back, never mind scratching out a profit.

not always true !!

I bought it with my Euros,

and my Missus had now a Thai buyer, willing to pay more,

so that i would get a 10 - 15% profit within 2 years !!

( Koh Samui );

Thats what we talking about for years !!

You have 3rd world countries - and 3rd world peoples which now living in 1st class country,

but they never in 2 generations will change their behavier !!

You are a white man, you have money , so you are able to pay more !

( they will not say you must - should pay more :-))9 n ... ))

3rd world !!

If we don't like it, we should stay in our home country !

But tell this to our politicans as example today in europe !!

getting in a year over 1 mill immigrants - which getting most of benefits of our population which worked 40 years and fighted and live all their life

in their country, in good and in bad time;

Today this immigrants coming, getting everything free, getting even MORE MONEY per month, than our poor people !!

Spoike yesterday with an Slovenian guy,

in his country, the poor , helpless homeless getting 260,- Eur per month !

European Union sends them now this immigrants syria, IRAK; sUDAN;

THEY GETTING PER MONTH 370,- EUROS !!!!

what you think our people are feeling now ??

and they not coming 1 - or 2 of family, they are coming 5 !!!

And when we go to their country ??

To get a Visa, you kindly requested to show the return ticket, to show a bank account with at least 3.000,- eur,

and there they charge you 5 to 10 times more then locals,

BUT OUR SHIT AND GARBAGE OF POLITICENS WILL NEVER SEE OR FEEL THIS;

AS THEY TRAVELLING ON OUR MONEY AND DONT NEVER PAY ANYWHERE ANYTHING !!!

tHAT IS THE WORLD IN WHICH OUR POLITICANS HAVE GUIDED US !!!