Phuket bungee death jump owner to be charged Monday

webfact

Phuket bungee death jump owner to be charged Monday
Nattapat Tuarob

1433489985_1-org.jpg
25-year-old Abdullah Adel Kadhbahman died at World Bungee Jump last Wednesday after the safety equipment he was wearing came off.

PHUKET: -- The owner of World Bungee Jump, where 25-year-old Abdullah Adel Kadhbahman died last Wednesday (May 27), and the person who attached the safety harnesses to his ankles, are likely to be charged with negligence in causing another person̕s death according to Patong police.

Speaking to The Phuket News, Pol Maj Theerasak Boonsaeng of Patong said that the owner of World Bungee Jump, Weenas Janwibolkul, and a member of staff known only as Suranai will have to attend Patong Police Station on Monday (June 8) to learn of the charges they will face.

“The police have not yet informed them of any charges but it is likely to be under section 291 of the criminal code,” he said.

Section 291 of the criminal code relates to negligence causing another person̕s death and is punishable with up to 10 years in prison or a B20,000 fine.

“We are still waiting for documents from Patong municipality to confirm whether World Bungee Jump holds a permit for the site construction and the equipment construction so further charges could be added,” said.

According to Maj Theerasak, forensic police are still investigating the incident and looking for the actual cause of Mr Kadhbahman death.

Meanwhile, Governor, Nisit Jansomwong, has ordered that World Bungee Jump remain closed until the site owner has a licence, and that the island̕s other bungee jumps be investigated by a team from the Phuket Public Works department.

“I have ordered that the place remain closed as it doesn̕t have a licence. However, it is possible that the site can open again once it reaches the required standard [about equipment, staff, safety measures and regulations] to get a licence.

“Other bungee jumps around Phuket will be investigated by a team from the provincial Public Works department to ensure they meet the necessary standards and have a licence,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bungee-death-jump-owner-to-be-charged-monday-52629.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-05

Bungee over water and he died?

He hit the ground.

Witnesses told police the victim jumped from the platform at World Bungee Jump, the highest of its type in Southern Thailand, but after he rebounded from the bottom from his dive, the ankle straps came off. He crashed into the ground next to a lake under the platform.

Coconuts

At least it wasn't considered a suicide.

Thailand is the last place on Earth I would bungee jump. I was dumb enough to try a crazy sofa and almost died.

The "or a 20,000 baht fine" is what renders the punitive system completely useless. In a country where judicial corruption seems to be rampant, this renders the system useless. Best thing to do with the owner is to tie him by the ankles and push him off

The "or a 20,000 baht fine" is what renders the punitive system completely useless. In a country where judicial corruption seems to be rampant, this renders the system useless. Best thing to do with the owner is to tie him by the ankles and push him off

They have 3 days head start, if they don't think they can get out of it with a slap on the wrist or bribes then they can leave till the statute of limitations runs out like the Red Bull killer.

Less than $700 for negligence causing the death of a young man?????????

That's on the criminal side of the case. Though it seems trivial, keep in mind the civil side could award compensation in the millions.

I doubt it will happen without good connections on the part of the plaintiff, but that's another issue altogether.

It is obvious he did not jump over water.

He DID jump over water; but as many of the reports state, on the rebound (going back up after initial jump), the ankle straps came off/undone and when he came back down he landed on the ground, just missing the pond by a few feet...

I was shocked at how many videos pop up with regards to accidents. Here's one from Phuket a few years ago:

This accident was at Jungle Bungy Jump in Kathu (not the operation currently in question); luckily the guy didn't die...I'm not blaming the jumper, they should have had a more fool-proof system at the time but fact is he did contribute to this particular accident: he jumped feet first (which they specifically tell you not to do); and 2) he was kicking his legs/feet around on the way down, which caused the wrapping to come undone. They changed their ankle harness system afterward to one they say is impossible to come undone (though of course impossible is a pretty big word...).

...but they should break his legs in at least 12 places, including the ankles, before pushing him off.

Forget the jumps as too many accidents happen. Was at Pattaya Memorial Hospital last Wednesday when a beat up pickup truck pulled in the driveway. In the back was what appeared to be an obese Chinese man with a jury-rigged splint on his lower leg - the leg appeared to be broken and he was obviously in great pain. He was accompanied by two scruffy looking men with parachutes on their shirts.Perhaps only the most serious of the accidents (deaths?) even get reported?

20,000 Baht seems about the normal type of fine here for serious accidents like this, accidents happen daily in dangerous sports / pastimes.... probabaly 1000s of jumpers before the guys deadly jump.... people jump out of planes 1000's of times too but now and again parachutes fail..

Less than $700 for negligence causing the death of a young man?????????

That's on the criminal side of the case. Though it seems trivial, keep in mind the civil side could award compensation in the millions.

I doubt it will happen without good connections on the part of the plaintiff, but that's another issue altogether.

On a civil case they get ZERO. Even if the plaintiffs are able to convince or bribe the court to find in their favor, they will never be able to collect on any judgement. That is as clear as water. From the moment the accident took place that company and the owner have no assets in their name

The owner may not even carry a permit to operate this bungee jump site. Where were the authorities before this fatal accident???

Take your pick

Collecting tea money

busy with Mia Noi

Buying a new Mercedes

getting a Soapy Massage

Playing games on i-phone in office

Out for a long lunch

On a state paid for junket

Or a 20,000 baht fine......that would be rather lenient.

How little a life is worth!

This is criminal law!

The fine does not reflect the value of the person who died; instead the fine is meant to punish the person responsible for the death. Fines are often used in conjunction with imprisonment.

... and yes, 20,000 bath is a hell of a lot of money for a Thai person who is on a 10 year prison sentence.

Edited by Morakot

I was shocked at how many videos pop up with regards to accidents. Here's one from Phuket a few years ago:

This accident was at Jungle Bungy Jump in Kathu (not the operation currently in question); luckily the guy didn't die...I'm not blaming the jumper, they should have had a more fool-proof system at the time but fact is he did contribute to this particular accident: he jumped feet first (which they specifically tell you not to do); and 2) he was kicking his legs/feet around on the way down, which caused the wrapping to come undone. They changed their ankle harness system afterward to one they say is impossible to come undone (though of course impossible is a pretty big word...).

I jumped with a friend at the Jungle Bungee Jump near Chiang Mai 12 years back. My jump went well, but my friend got scared at the last minute and went feet-first. Was tossed around like a rag doll, and I can only imagine the pressure on the straps/cord. Fortunately it held. He didn't remember a thing, but I got a good video out of it that I scored with Hendrix's Purple Haze. Not surprisingly, he doesn't appreciate it much when I pull that one out of the archives...

So the place is closed 'till he gets a licence. Is this not like saying you cause a death by drunk driving but when you get a licence you can go back on the road and possibly do the same again ? Oh unless you have been locked up then the licence might be longer coming.