Extension of stay

I am getting ready to apply for my 1st extension of stay (married to thai) and am going over my checklist and I have a few questions if anyone can help.

I am from the US and married to a thai and we have a son together. We live in Tak.

I believe the paperwork needed is , marriage certificate, wife's Thai ID and House book, my son's birth certificate, completed form TM 7, pictures of us in and around the house together , map to house, and evidence of funds.

1: Marriage certificate translated in thai, do we have to have the marraige registered in Thailand (married in the US)?

2:Evidence of Funds, When I go to the US consulate, do they have a form to fill out for this or do I have to type something up and have them stamp it. also Bangkok or Chiang Mai consulate and do I need to make an appointment before I go there.?

3: Copy of Passport and other copies, color or black and white?

4: Pictures, can I just print it on my color printer or does it have to be from a studio?

5: I have my name in a yellow book , do I have to provide copy of that also?

6:Where do I actually apply for the extension, Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Mae Sot?

7: TM 7 form, does it have to be double sided or will 2 pages do?

8: When I do go to apply how early do I show up and are there any specific things I need to do when I get there(take a number, sign in etc.)

Maybe I missed something on my list, please feel free to add to it and I realize this is a bit long but I want to get it right, Thank you to everyone who helps.

Stamp in my passport says admitted until 31 jul 2015.

1. Yes, you must register the marriage in Thailand.

Go to the embassy and get a declaration that the marriage certificate is the real thing. Next have it translated into Thai and then legalized by the Thai Consular Department. After that yu register the marriage at any amphur and you will get a khor rhor 22 form of this, which is what immigration want.

2. You can download a sample statement and fill in your own details from the US embassy website. The form you sign in front of the consular officer.

3. Up to you.

4. Print will be fine

5. I would do so.

6. Living in Tak, you can only apply at Mae Sot.

7. Double sided only.

8. You can apply up to 30 days early and will not lose any days. You will need to supply everything in duplo. Best to go a bit early, together with your wife. They will interview your wife about the marriage. You will get a 30 day under consideration period, after which you return to immigration to get the actual extension.

Best is to call ahead and see what they would like you to bring along. They might want you to bring along some witneses, who can confirm you are really married and living together.

"1: Marriage certificate translated in thai, do we have to have the marraige registered in Thailand (married in the US)?"

​Your marriage certificate has to be translated by a recognize translator of the MFA then registered by the MFA in Bangkok. When you receive the paper work back from the MFA then you go to your local amphur and register your marriage. You will then obtain a KR 22 from the amphur that says your married. KR22 is for foregin register marriage and a KR2 is for a Thailand marriage. You will need to obtain a new KR22 every year cost is about 20 baht. You will need to go online and make an appointment for either the US embassy or Consulate. You mention Mai Sot the immigration office for that area is Tak and that is where you will apply or the marriage extension. If you go to Bangkok and got to the US Emabbssey directly across from them are shops that will send you marriage certificate along with translation to the MFA and return it to you I thank its 3000 baht. If you go to Chiang Mai about 100 meters down on the same side as the consulate is StarVisa, very good service they will do the same thing. US Embassy or Consulate needs to notaries your marriage certificate that it is real, this has to be done befor you go to the MFA.

Edited by khwaibah

1. You must register your foreign marriage at the Amphoe. You will need to do a self certification of your marriage certificate by dong an an affidavit at the embassy stating it valid and corrector. The you have the certification and your marriage certificate translated to Thai. Then have the translations certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs .The translation service can do the MFA certification for you. Then you go to the Amphoe to register your marriage and they will issue a Kor Ror 22 which you will need when you apply for your extension.

2. You will do an income affidavit at the embassy. Info here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit You must make an appointment at the embassy or you will not get through the front doors.

An extra heads up. Advise you to make a trip to your local immigration office and ask them directly what they require as many different immigration offices are now requiring further proof of your income when using a embassy affidavit, they may want to see some funds inside Thailand. Also when applying for a marriage extension there are forums that your wife hast fill out as they are in Thai. My immigration office has a 7 page packet of forums for the marriage extension. tHey are glade to give this to you to take home and fill out.

I think it may vary from Imm office to office a little.

At my Immigration office ( Korat ) I basicly submit the same forms and information I submitted when I first applied for my Non O visa.

Of course, I have current dates on the forms, have a recent ( within 6 months ) income affidavit and new photos every year.

The photos can be printed on your home printer on regular paper.

I was printing full page photos and last year they requested that I submit 4"X6" so they can be pasted to the forms by them.

They want at least three photos.

1) One with wife and children, if any, at your house.

2) One of same inside the house.

3) One of same with address sign of house in the photo.

You do not need to bring a witness.

They may visit you at your home to confirm that you live there and that you are married.

I was given the option to provide a photo of the Head man of my village with a short letter from him stating that he knows us, we are married and that we do live where we claim to live,and not have a visit from an officer.

They seem to prefer this to making the time and fuel consuming visit to your home.

I have read nightmare stories from others using other offices, like home visits where tea money is collected, but the Korat Office has always been very helpful and very easy to deal with.

I am not 100% sure about this,but I have read that you should apply for your extension at the same office where you first applied for your visa.

Advise:

My M.O. has always been to be friendly, respectful, cooperative and make their job as hassle free as possible...be sure to bring the wife or someone who speaks fluent Thai.

It has always worked for me.

Choke dee!....and relax!

• Like 1

For my first extension here at the Pattaya office i had to have a witness complete with housebook ( was my Thai wifes aunt) she was questioned separately on how long she had known us and how long we had been married, she also had to be shown in the photos in/around the house etc. also there there had to be more people shown in the pictures than just me and my wife,

I was rejected on my first attempt, through through missing out everything described above the date i applied was 19th March 2015.

As others have pointed out, it varies from office to office and their interpretation of the rules, but that was my experience at Jom Thien

So Good Luck

Max..........

I have a Non O and just coming to end of first year extension (retirement income based). It was issued at Dan Singkhon Immigration and procedure was easy. However that service is no longer available there and I have to go to Huahin. Does anyone know if Huahin Immigration for address proof requires more than copy of the lease on my house (in my name)? Dan Singkhon did not need any map or picture of house.

I have a Non O and just coming to end of first year extension (retirement income based). It was issued at Dan Singkhon Immigration and procedure was easy. However that service is no longer available there and I have to go to Huahin. Does anyone know if Huahin Immigration for address proof requires more than copy of the lease on my house (in my name)? Dan Singkhon did not need any map or picture of house.

An extension of stay based upon retirement does not require photos or a map. This topic is about one based upon marriage.

You will need your lease agreement and possibley copies you landlords house book and ID card attached to it.

Since this is your first extension based upon marriage, an Immigration Officer will come to your house to make sure that you're living together. In our case (Phuket), we also had to have a witness present, and a photo taken of the Immigration Officer, myself, my wife and the witness all together in front of the house. In addition, the witness had to provide a copy of their tabien baan. The officer never set foot inside the house. We used my camera, and the Immigration Officer requested that I print the picture for him before he left. Not sure if this is standard operating procedure, but this is what we had to do.

Regarding the photos you have to submit with your application - no "selfies" allowed. We took selfies showing us both in every room of the house, as well as outside in front of the house number. Not acceptable, even though you could clearly see the contents of each room - we had to re-do all the photos. Photos printed on your home printer are perfectly OK, but I'd suggest you use glossy photo paper (cheap and available just about anywhere).

For your marriage certificate translation - make sure you use a translator that's recognized by the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs). When you (or preferably the translator) send the documents to the MFA, I believe that what they're certifying is the translator, not the translation itself. Best to inquire if the translator will get your translation certified by the MFA before giving them the job.

One final tip - in addition to the KorRor22, bring a copy of your US marriage certificate (in English, and also the translated copy) as sometimes they want to see that as well. Basically, bring along everything you have so that if you happen to get an ill-tempered officer, you can shut down his little game of "make the farang jump through hoops" by asking for things that are not specifically required.

Oh - and you'll need 2 copies of everything, since they keep one copy in the local office, and send one copy to Bangkok.

Hi replied in another topic, got the wrong one. sorry for the repeat.

hi went down to Jontiem today picked up the latest extension requirements for non o marrige visa, tried to upload it but couldnt

On it, it stated that 'a letter of certification issued by the embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage '

anybody shed any light on this ? Do i need to go to the embassy to get this?

PS was married in Thailand, both parts marriage cert in thai original one. I believe that i have all the paperwork as mentioned above but this one unsure about.

Hi replied in another topic, got the wrong one. sorry for the repeat.

hi went down to Jontiem today picked up the latest extension requirements for non o marrige visa, tried to upload it but couldnt

On it, it stated that 'a letter of certification issued by the embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage '

anybody shed any light on this ? Do i need to go to the embassy to get this?

PS was married in Thailand, both parts marriage cert in thai original one. I believe that i have all the paperwork as mentioned above but this one unsure about.

You will have had the mentioned document when you got married. You would have got it from your embassy and had it translated and approved by the MFA. The UK embassy calls it an "affirmation of freedom to marry", other embassies have different names for it.

• Like 1

Hi havent seen that bit of paper for 12 yrs, do i have to get another one from the embassy? Has anyone else done the extension without this bit of paper?

You can try to get a copy of the one you gave the Amphoe when you registered your marriage.

Before going to the trouble of getting it I would check with immigration to see if it is really needed.

• 2 weeks later...