Outrage as young Aussie attacked in Chaweng gets put behind bars himself

Lite Beer

Outrage as young Aussie attacked in Chaweng gets put behind bars himself

jack-going-to-jail.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Yesterday Jack Hansen-Bartel was taken into custody at the Samui Provincial court on a misdemeanor charge that arose months after two Chinese American men were arrested for seriously assaulting him in the Green Mango nightclub on June 9th last year.

Raymond Chang and Ryan Wang were arrested and charged with seriously assaulting Jack, who now faces 18 months of reconstructive surgery to rebuild his mouth including bone and gum grafts along with other procedures.

Both Wang and Chang attended the Shanghai American School, after both being allowed to go home on bail Chang is now enjoying a life as a student at Cornell University in New York. However Jack has had to leave his studies at the Monash Univeristy in Melbourne and put urgent medical procedures on hold to attend a court hearing in Koh Samui, where he was arrested and banged up yesterday afternoon.

Jack, who has lived in Thailand for fifteen years and attended the New International School of Thailand, was on vacation last year when the incident occurred. Wang and Chang were caught on CCTV carrying out the vicious and unprovoked attack and were quickly arrested. Shortly after Chang’s millionaire father Raymond Nobu Chang few in to bail his son and Wang out. Several months after their arrest Raymond Chang asked the police to present assault charges against Jack, but with no evidence of any attack the charge was only one of misdemeanor. Tiffany Turner, a young Japanese New Zealand woman, who was also there on the night of the attack was put forward as a witness and claimed Jack had pester her, however when her evidence was totally discredited she refused to give evidence.

jacks mouthOn learning of Jack’s arrest his horrified brother posted this statement on Facebook

Today I learned that my brother is being held in jail on feeble, misdemeanor charges brought upon him by the defendants Raymond Tony Chang and Ryan Yunshang Wang; a ploy clearly tactical in nature, designed to detract from the severity of charges against them. He was pushed to the ground by prison guards once in the cell. He was put in the cell with a pedophile who raped little girls and killed them, and an ice dealer. It was reported to me via a proxy at the court that a settlement was offered by the defendants’ legal team, and that the figure promulgated was meager and offensive, and was subsequently rejected by our legal counsel.

My brother faces years of reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation, and requires a formidable amount of money to complete his treatment. The defendants are spineless, and their families lack integrity whilst they continue to deny culpability. We will be going after them, their families and Tiffany Mariko Turner – the perfidious female antagonist who remains at the centre of this situation. We will continue to pursue legal justice for Jack. It is fortunate that there is a new public prosecutor assigned to our case (the old one was allegedly corrupt).

Jack’s mother, who has continually fought for justice in this case and found herself having to raise hundreds of thousands of baht for her son’s ongoing treatments and surgeries managed to have Jack released on bail at the court late yesterday evening

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-06-06

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is old news albeit very poorly written. The assault happened over a year ago and the parents of the assailants have done many things to try to get their kids off. They have been named and shamed in the USA and Australia.

Trying to work out why this is news today?

This is old news albeit very poorly written. The assault happened over a year ago and the parents of the assailants have done many things to try to get their kids off. They have been named and shamed in the USA and Australia.

Its in the news because Jack got arrested yesterday

It appears the father of one of the chinese is a rich dad. If I was Jack I would try to get the best lawyer possible and sue the ass of the whole bunch .... chinese ... cops .... so called witness .... and anyone else that tried to lie ....

If there's one thing I can't stand it's lier's & cheats ......

Sorry I do not buy ALL of this, very one sided...

Charged for misdemeanour's, what misdemeanour's???

The fact that the charges were not stated seems to me that facts are being hidden.coffee1.gif

I can't remember the exact charges ( and can't find the post on Facebook) but basically it was drunk and disorderly!

The two Chinese Americans accused of this horrific attack were out on bail - with the condition only urgent travel was allowed. Now they've both gone home and one is at Cornell University (wonder if daddy made a donation to some research or endowment?).

The Kiwi-Jap "witness" seems to have been discredited - no charges for wasting police time, making false charges, trying to pervert the course of justice?

Welcome to justice Thai style. Doesn't matter who did what, whose guilty or innocent, what the truth is. Who has the most money and can spread some around trumps everything!

Keywords "millionaire father"".

Will these boys come back for their trial - like hell. If the trial ever does surface, will Thailand request extradition - like hell. All be swept under the carpet. Usual Thai tactic, fabricate a counter charge, lie and then try to negotiate.

Feel sorry for Jack - his chance of seeing these thugs actually punished is about zero. Maybe he can bring civil actions for damages?

And remember. when this happened Jack's mum appealed to the PM. Who said he would personally ensure justice was served and requested regular updates on the case proceedings and progress.

Another strong message to all - the rich and their offspring are not subject to the law. That's only applicable to police everyone else.

It appears the father of one of the chinese is a rich dad. If I was Jack I would try to get the best lawyer possible and sue the ass of the whole bunch .... chinese ... cops .... so called witness .... and anyone else that tried to lie ....

Seems that your spelling has made a liar out of you :-)

The two Chinese Americans accused of this horrific attack were out on bail - with the condition only urgent travel was allowed. Now they've both gone home and one is at Cornell University (wonder if daddy made a donation to some research or endowment?).

The Kiwi-Jap "witness" seems to have been discredited - no charges for wasting police time, making false charges, trying to pervert the course of justice?

Welcome to justice Thai style. Doesn't matter who did what, whose guilty or innocent, what the truth is. Who has the most money and can spread some around trumps everything!

Will these boys come back for their trial - like hell. If the trial ever does surface, will Thailand request extradition - like hell. All be swept under the carpet. Usual Thai tactic, fabricate a counter charge, lie and then try to negotiate.

Feel sorry for Jack - his chance of seeing these thugs actually punished is about zero. Maybe he can bring civil actions for damages?

And remember. when this happened Jack's mum appealed to the PM. Who said he would personally ensure justice was served and requested regular updates on the case proceedings and progress.

Another strong message to all - the rich and their offspring are not subject to the law. That's only applicable to police everyone else.

Id say the offspring of many of these rich families treat everyone like sh*t, they come down to a condo complex by the sea where a friend has a condo, they all drive Mercedes, Porsche BMW etc spend all night on their balconies music blaring couldnt give a damn abut anyone.

I stayed there once and threw a whole 1.5 litre bottle of water at them off my balcony to shut em up at 4 am in the morning, they couldnt see who threw it, it landed right among them with a bang it went very quiet briefly.

Did they shut up??? nope party continued they just called the Police, tossers all spoilt brats, they do the same most weekends.

Surly we would have to give this years photo award to this photographer ............... he has summed this whole story up so well & in such detail........coffee1.gif

Whoever said a picture says a 1,000 words never saw this shot.

May I ask a question?

Have you ever voted for a politician?

and what is more unfortunate is the isolationism that exists within Australia.

I feel sorry for the young Aussie. Albeit that he may or may not have opened his mouth at the wrong time and got stitched up for it by some slimy Chinese Americans who are most probably up to their necks in the Triads over there, the Australian family have never experienced the hierarchy that occurs in the world of money within Asia and the rest of the world. As an example, the Chinese would not have thought twice about having their will enforced by other means if necessary. The poor Australians who are regulated and controlled and lulled into a false sense of security at home would think of no other recourse but to follow the law.

Admirable but ineffective.

If it were my son I would take a different tack.

If this article is factual, then I really feel sorry for the guy (regardless of where he's from). As for the perpetrators (again regardless of where they are from) of his beating, just goes to show you that money talks in Thailand more than justice (but anyone who has been here for more than a week already knows that).

BTW, I am from the USA.

May I ask a question?

Have you ever voted for a politician?

Talk about making a constructive addition to the topic, just came on here to bait?

Its in the news because Jack got arrested yesterday

And put in jail.....even though he was the victim.

What a truly horrible event. I thank God I stopped drinking many years back (not saying that in connection with this story). I live in Pattaya now and almost all of the trouble for Foreigners seems to occur when Alcohol is involved. Nothing new in that....says you. Myself, I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes here had I been drinking. Instead I have had the happiest 14 years of my life on these shores.

This is not old news at all, the student who was the subject of the attack was locked up yesterday before his family were able to raise bail.

Why is it reported the alleged attackers are Chinese American? Of what decent is the Australian? British Australian? Aboriginal Australian?

That is, on the face of it, a fair question.

The answer is .. if they are first generation Americans and still have big money connections in China ... it makes a very real difference in this case.

The leverage and influence of Chinese connections and money should never be underestimated in Thailand .. or most of SEA for that matter.

When we are seeing a frame up to confine the victim, to get him to "compromise" and have charges dropped .. in both directions...

I smell shark fin soup.

"The Kiwi-Jap "witness" seems to have been discredited - no charges for wasting police time, making false charges, trying to pervert the course of justice?"

Considering that she left Thailand soon after the assault and will not be returning that's not surprising. She also did not make any claims of harrasment by Jack, those claims were made by the goons that assaulted him in an attempt to justify the assault.

blink.png The usual parade of jerks who seem to hate everybody abide here. Japs, rich Chinese, corrupt Thais, ad infinitum... Maybe the Aussie boy insulted the 'jap' girl and the unusual response from Chinese students was to protect her? Maybe the Assie (correct spelling) shot off his crock mouth and had a hummingbird arse to back him up? A casual visit to an Aussie bar will show these folks in action. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Archived