Brazil 50,000 Usd Resident Investor Program

Brazil‘s National Immigration Council (NIC) issued Resolution 60/04 on October 6, 2004, which supersedes Resolution 28 of November 25, 1998, with respect to the issuance of permanent visas to alien investors in Brazil. With this newer rule, the amount of an investment needed for obtaining a permanent residency in Brazil was lowered to US$50,000 and this has become the easiest and fastest way of getting residency in Brazil.

You can obtain a permanent residency in Brazil, by investing the minimum amount of US$50K in, for example, a piece of real estate, such as a rental apartment or condo-hotel unit (flat) or even by opening a small business, such as a restaurant.

Under this new Resolution, a permanent visa allows a foreigner to live and work in Brazil with the purpose of investing his or her own foreign funds in productive activities or investing in existing activities in Brazil.

Under the new rules, a permanent visa can be obtained by a foreigner when the following conditions are met:

a minimum investment of US$50,000, from individual resources in productive activities;

the investment can be made into his or her newly opened company or in an already existing business.

The procedure is pretty easy for a foreigner; the documentation needed is basically a Power of Attorney, copy of passport, and proof of address in native country.

This is how it works: usually, a corporation is opened for the applicant (in his name - as the owner) and subsequently a bank account will be opened. Afterwards, a registration takes with Banco Central do Brasil and the minimum amount of US$50,000 is authorized to be wired from the investor‘s account abroad to his new corporate account. It is worth mentioning that when you transfer the money from your bank through the Central Bank of Brazil (Banco Central) to your own bank account in Brazil, that the money remains yours and stays with you at your disposal at all times and under your sole control.

Once this has been completed, Banco Central do Brasil will issue a certificate. With that certificate your visa application will be filed in Brazil, approved, issued and sent to any Brazilian Consulate abroad, as per your request, so your passport can be stamped.

Compared to other Central America Residency Investor Programs, there is no comparison. Central American countries like Costa Rica charge US$50,000 to obtain a second residency, but the investment goes to government tree planting projects that you have no control over and it is doubtful that you will ever receive a penny of profit. Consider it a donation.

Freedom to choose your investment, you can choose your own investment. It could vary a lot, from real estate to new businesses. Most foreigners, usually those who are already purchasing real estate, take advantage. But here are some direct examples:

Holiday apartment. It might be an excellent idea for you to invest your money, where you could spend your vacations and lease it out while you are not there;

Flats in Sao Paulo. Low prices, equity, non-management needs, and monthly income make these a great investment opportunity.

There are many reasons to choose the Investment Program path, some of the reasons for this are:

1. The ability for applicant to work in their own business.

2. Minimum amount of time required per year to be here.

3. The fact that the program is encouraged and pre-approved by the government.

4. Unrestricted. Applicant and family members may apply and work at any endeavor.

5. Includes entire family including spouse and children up to 18 years.

6. Brazilian Citizenship and Passport possible in only 4 year‘s time.

7. Favorable Tax and Extradition laws.

8. No personal appearance in Brazil is required for processing. You will pick up the Permanent Visa at the Brazilian embassy or consulate in your home country and then you will enter Brazil with the "Resident Investor Status".

9. It is good for 5 years and takes 60 days for a permanent visa to be issued.

10. You do NOT have to remain in Brazil during your residency. You can visit for as little as a few days every two years.

11. If you are single, a Brazilian Citizenship and Passport is possible after only one year of marriage to a Brazilian citizen.

12. A Resident Investor has almost all rights of a Brazilian Citizen except political. You can not vote or get politically involved.

In conclusion, there is no other program that offers a faster and better cost/benefit ratio for a foreigner than the US$50K Investment Residency Program.

If interested ask the Brasil embassy in your areas. You can apply yourselves, or can ask them to refer to one of the many Brazil immigration agents in all over Asia, Europe and North America to do all the paper works for you.

There are MUCH cheaper investment programs than Brazil. Ecuador, Nicargua, Argentina and I am sure others. Also note that it sounds like the real estate would be for renting, not for living.

Brazil currency has also radically strengthened in the last few years.

Not knocking Brazil, just saying you don't need to invest 50K to live in Latin America.

Edited by Thaiquila

Panama has one of the best deals I've seen. You only need to show an income of $500 a month and meet certain other requirements. They'll give you a multiple entry retirement visa and you can come and go as you please. There's no problem buying property, and a property tax abatement is also part of the program.

John

Many of you obviously never went to Brazil. Brazil's living environment, atmosphere, gastronomy, night life, nature, culture, music ect ect is imcomparable with other Latin nations or with any southeast Asian nations. It is in a class by itself. And most importantly it is very visa firendly. Thats why there are so many long stay residents all alone the thousands miles of coasts.

I stay in Brazil about 7-8 months a year and then shift to Asia for rest. Brasil is very popular with people from Germanic countries, Holland, Scandinavians, French, also lots of southern Europeans, and recently yaers lots of Japanese, Koreans and other Asians are long staying in one of the hundreds of coastal beach cities. And for some reasons, Brasil is not very popular with English speaking nationals like British, Aussies, or Americans.

One thing that Brasil stands way top of the long stay destinations is the granduer of nature beauty, and the exciting cultural variety, and its art and music, the foods, the dry and sunny climate, thousands of miles of white sand beaches, hundreds of beautiful beach cities along the coast to choose to stay, and the sentiment and passion of the Brazilian people regardless the skin tone and skin colors. Another thing, Brasil is such a clean and sanitary nation, even the weakest stomache can feel easy.

This is one of the top long stay destination in the world, but somehow not as well known to English speaking nationals, I assume 90% of the board members are probably English speaking nationals. You should take a trip there to see the ambiente for yourself, I can guarantee you will fall in love with the country and of course with the garotas too. Just like I did over 15 years ago, I heart beat on bossa nova, my blood run on samba.

I agree Brazil is a great country and yes I have been there. However, 50K isn't chickenfeed, and there are other great South American choices. Like Argentina, where there is no investment required at all for a pensioner, only need to show a rather modest income stream. Also Brazil is now more expensive than Argentina. Also, Spanish is easier to learn than Portuguese.

BTW, I am no fan of Costa Rica. Found it a big bore and the food the most boring in the world. Friendly people though.

Edited by Thaiquila

Yep, Latin america sounds tempting.

But about the violence ?

Brazil, the white beaches OK, but also a high level of criminality.

Do you remember a few month ago... the WAR between the gangs and the police ? And the armed guards in many mansions in Sao Paulo ? And the advice : when red light, don't stop the car (same in Mexico). Scary.

I mean : nice, but the whole latin america has a culture of violence. Not really the point when you want to enjoy a quiet retirement...

I would add : political risks. Look at Venezuela and the lunatic Chavez (Thaksins must love him).

Yeah, well you have to pick your spots.

Personally, the only two places in the world I have been mugged in were Rio de Janeiro and Sintra Portugal.

There are some fantastic beach resorts in Brazil.

I found the nicer parts of Buenos Aires OK to walk in even late at night.

Edited by Thaiquila

This program is very simple and easy. You invest 50000 USD to condo or even a business there like a restaurant or a shop or a cafe whatever, no limitation, ,you and your family who is under 18, will all get permanent residency. You can also work in your own business too.

All these crimes happen mostly in these mega cities like Sao Paulo, Rio. In other coast towns the crime is much less than Bangkok. Popular relocation like Floripa, Fortaleza, Maceio, Natal, Guaruja, Santos, and all other coatal cities in state of Rio and Sao Paulo, have very very little violent crime. All these have heavy expat populations. Ok but even in big cities like Sao Paulo and Rio, violent crimes mostly happen in favelas, or against the authority, the only crime you face is petty crimes like theft and robberies. If you are in Rio or SP, you will learn how to defuse these problem by giving the robbers some pocket money. Don't play Rambo, these street guys in Rio are small time crooks and have absolutley no intention to hurt you, they just want some money for food, so its very easy to defuse the situation once you live there.

But in other coastal cities, crimes is quite rare, like Floripa, Fortaleza, are the top choices for me. both beautiful setting and more cheaper than SP or Rio.

Ok, if you don't want to get permanent residency, or soend the money for PR, you can still live forever, in Brazil, just do a visa run or out of the country in 180 days, then back any time you want for another 180 days, 90 days visa free then 90 days free extension, Brazil will not trouble any one with extensions. Or will not troble any one making 180 days visa run either. I will be in Floripa shortly to meet my sweet garota. Saudade muito.

Well, Argentina would sure beat out Brazil. They have a rentista visa that only requires you to show some kind of paperwork showing that you have investment income of at least $800 a month. That could be accomplished as easily as creating a corporation in your home country and have the corporation issue a letter saying you have the investmnet income.

It too leads to citizenship.

Housing? 20 to 50k US will get you an apartment outside of BA.

Surely a better place for this thread would be in the visas and migration to other countries forum.

I disagree there Colonel. With all this visa stuff going on, a lot of folks are seeking alternatives to Thailand. Posting here ensures they see it and it is important right now.

I've been to Fortaleza, Brazil and it has great nightlife on par with Phuket, Bangkok or Pattaya. The ocean is great and it is the great Atlantic. I have never been to Argentina but would love to check it out.

Well, Argentina would sure beat out Brazil. They have a rentista visa that only requires you to show some kind of paperwork showing that you have investment income of at least $800 a month. That could be accomplished as easily as creating a corporation in your home country and have the corporation issue a letter saying you have the investmnet income.

And what about the general mood over there ? Crime ?

I remember the terrible economic disaster in Argentina a few years ago... I was not there. But from the outside, it looked pretty uggly.

And what about the general mood over there ? Crime ?

I remember the terrible economic disaster in Argentina a few years ago... I was not there. But from the outside, it looked pretty uggly.

They are going on 4 years of 8 to 10% economic growth. You can find out for yourself what is happening there. Google is your friend.

I have been to Argentina a few times, but the living quality and diversity and fun cannot even compare to Brazil's any towns. I am mostly active in the south of Brasil like Florianopolis, to me it's the most amazing city in the world, with hundred of beautiful beaches in the city limit, and so safe violent crimes is almost unheard of.

Also if you don't need beaches nearby, I also reccommend very well organized and very safe cities like Porto Alegre and Curitiba, with very high living standards like the level of Czech, Poland, Greece, Spain ect. Very nice for long stay or retirement as well.

Also up north again Flotaleza, Maceio, Vitoria, Natal all very beautiful and cost of living much lower than SP or Rio.

One important thing I like to point out is, the contrast and maturity of Brazil and Thai governement concering handling people who like thier countries and have intention of long stay.

Brazil's atitude is welcome people who want to stay and can offer something constructive to the nation. No matter you run a restaurant, teach English, sell vegetables, teaching dancing, take care old people, whatever, even you are illegal immigrants, Brasil will pardon you once every 3-4 yaers or so, and offer you permanent residency once they confirm you are contributing a tiny part to their country.

Brasil trys hard to assimmilate you whatever you come from, and want you to be legal and contribute your part in the society and hope you become Brasilianized and be a happy members of Brasil society one day. So the policy is to grant people who have strong desire to stay the legal status and make sure you are a productive part of the society.

Thai gov't is so opposit, they tend to think only if you can offer them money, then you come, even you have Thai spouse, you still need to show money to even get a multiple visa, actuaaly one friend have written complain to the UN human right commission about this, the UN human right commission express concern about this situation which is against human rights, because what if the hunsband is poor and have no home to go back to, then is he rejected the right to see and stay with his wife and childern because he has no money to offer to the Thai gov't. Hope UN can condemn directly to Thai authority.

So basicaly thai gov't only want to see the money first for all longer visas, thats it, very short sighted, and too money crazed, they do not care if you can offer and contribute your part in their society, be a valueable part in thier society, no money, no talk policy, thats the Thai policy.

So hope this make clear the policy stands of Thai and Brasil governmennts regarding the people who desire to stay in their country. It shows clearly some people are much more mature than the others.

Very interesting topic for me as I am wanting to find an alternative place to Thailand for the months of January through to July each year. Brasil and Argentina seem to have cooler climates too, but what about the cost of living. Anyone got accurate information? How much more expensive are these places than Thailand? I intend to travel to Brasil in January, buy a car and travel around to have a look for myself, but meanwhile would welcome the information. Last year I travelled through Central America on the same mission but everywhere was just too hot, apart from northern Mexico, which I didn't really like.

Very interesting topic for me as I am wanting to find an alternative place to Thailand for the months of January through to July each year. Brasil and Argentina seem to have cooler climates too, but what about the cost of living. Anyone got accurate information? How much more expensive are these places than Thailand? I intend to travel to Brasil in January, buy a car and travel around to have a look for myself, but meanwhile would welcome the information. Last year I travelled through Central America on the same mission but everywhere was just too hot, apart from northern Mexico, which I didn't really like.

Brazil is more expensive than Argentina, mainly because their currency has greatly strengthened. I can speak about Argentine costs in Buenos Aires. Decent apartments in decent neighborhoods are priced similarly to Bangkok. It is hard to get the local price on low end rentals though. There are frustrating traditions and bureaucracies there. Food is a great bargain at the middle level. Not much at the very low end. In other words, you won't find satisfying 20 baht meals, but great food starting at 100 to 200 baht. Of course, costs would be lower in provincial cities and country.

As in Thailand, locally produced stuff is a great deal. Imports are overpriced. Medical care is good and well priced. As in Thailand, you can buy most of what you need without a scrip at a pharmacy.

For Americans, Argentinians are very much anti American, but as warm as you can imagine in person to individuals. If you are a man, be ready to kiss alot of men.

BTW: You MUST learn Spanish.

My conclusion is that it is a great place for the mid-wealth level people up to wealthy, but not so great for the poor expat. Drop by www.baexpats.com, a great little expat community.

Edited by Thaiquila

About the cost of living:

Brasil is sooo huge and diverse that there is no unified standard of living, it depends on the areas you live.

The north and northeast is cheaper than southeast and the south. There are many popular cities for expats like Fortaleza, Natal, Maceio, Vitoria, Salvador, Recife, Joao Pessoa, and many many other smaller towns at well. The average ranges of rent of a 1-2 bed room apt or condo on the beach fronts will cost from 200USD to 600USD. One meal at the street corner bar 1-2 USD. At economy Churrascaria 3-6USD.

Then if you stay in the southeast like in SP or Rio and include all the many many beach cities on the SP or Rio coasts, the rent is 1.5 times up. The food is maybe 1.2 times up ect ect. But food is still very cheap.

The south like Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Floripa, Blumenau, ect cost of living not much different from SP or Rio, the rent is a little cheaper and food a little cheaper, but not by much.

So if you are on low economy, maybe the northeast is the most economical, and all season warm, SP and the south have seasons, winter(may-sep)can be quite chilly in many places.

SP is very chilly at night all year round, Rio is warm all year round. If you want all year sun shine and warm, Fortaleza, Vitoria, Maceio, Natal, Recife, ect will suit you.

The residency visa in Argentina is called the rentista. A good resource on this is Expat Argentina. (See the first result for a search on Google for "expat argentina")

If you can bring in $2500 pesos per month into the country by means of an investment abroad, you get the visa. The investment could be anything: a business, a stock, a bond, real estate, whatever. If you can show you have income that's not tied to a salary, you get the visa.

I, too, am looking for an alternative to Thailand. My two choices so far are Argentina and Malaysia.

Been to Brazil 6 times in the last 13 months on business.Have to say find food very boring compared to Thailand and very salty with huge helpings of beef but rather bland.

Criminality is much higher than Thailand and while the beaches are nice(Bahia in the North) I found them similar to Thailand or SEA.However the level of english speakers is significantly less than Thailand and also not many seem to speak Spanish either.

I did not find it very cheap either and I went out eating with locals in the North/South and also Rio as well as Sao Paulo.

Maybe I prefer Asian women but was not overly impressed with the Brazilian ladies especially when you could not communicate with them.

Beer was good.

The burocracy is fairly complex and similar to Thailand can be shortened with 'tea money'.

Having been there have no desire to go back. :o