Is this an RCB

stubuzz

My new house has very poor wiring. I am a bit concerned about safety. Is the box in the picture a RCB? Inside there is an adjustable dial 0-100 i think. Any ideas about increasing safety in this rented property?

post-77164-0-49800100-1433649651_thumb.j

The thing on the right appears to be a simple 30a breaker. Have no idea the thing on the left but RCD need to have both N and L, so if that's N at the top and L on the bottom, it could be. BUT, every RCD I have seen will have a "Test" button and can't see that. Somebody else probably will know for sure.

That is a main fuse on the left (used to be required for incoming power) and on the right is an on/off circuit breaker of 30 amps (which is likely the same as the fuse). It is not RCD. Such breakers used to be standard for air conditioners as they are designed for frequent on/off switching.

That is absolutely NOT that's NOT an RCD or the like.

The thing on the left is a fuse, the right is a breaker of antique vintage.

Here we go http://dati.itis.pr.it:8080/museotecnologico/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142:interruttore-automatico&catid=36:categoria-elettrotecnica&Itemid=56 Note Year of Production smile.png

If you press the red button does everything go off??

Assuming it does, you can replace the breaker with a simple 30A RCBO, cost 500 Baht with a nice plastic box. That will give you better protection from shock than you have now (none).

I suspect you have only 5 amp meter service from electric pole so you would probably want to upgrade that one step to 15/45 amp meter service as a start. Then you can have 63 amp main circuit panel (you can use breakers now) and work from there. Be a good idea to us ground wire and three prong outlets as will not cost that much more.

That is absolutely NOT that's NOT an RCD or the like.

The thing on the left is a fuse, the right is a breaker of antique vintage.

Here we go http://dati.itis.pr.it:8080/museotecnologico/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142:interruttore-automatico&catid=36:categoria-elettrotecnica&Itemid=56 Note Year of Production smile.png

We (others) are not that old - 1964 may be when it was first used but is was in common usage here for many decades - I did not arrive until 1969 and it was the normal breaker for A/C units in hotels at that time (some of the cheaper places still used window units in those days).whistling.gif

Since our OP is in a rental we need to know just how much work he's willing to finance (simply add an RCBO or replace the board and potentially rewire).

Also just what the load is, water heaters, aircon etc etc.

As an aside, or apartment in Rome had the 15A version of that breaker as our incoming supply, needed careful management of aircon, water heater and kettle :)

It is a 5/15. There is a 1100w aircon and 3500w shower. The shower has a separate breaker. I will post a picture.

OK, you're already overloading your poor little 5/15, although it's not going to go bang it may well be mis-reading. So in future an upgrade to a 15/45 would be a good idea.

We need to work out how this lot is wired so we can suggest safe and low cost additions;-

When you press the red button :-

Does the aircon stop?

Does the water heater stop?

Does the water heater have its own breaker too?

Assuming it does, you can replace the breaker with a simple 30A RCBO, cost 500 Baht with a nice plastic box. That will give you better protection from shock than you have now (none).

Any links to where i can get the RCBO.

I don't want to be paying for a rewire or meter upgrades. Just increase the safety so i'm not electrocuted.

Please see my post above yours (same timing).

I have several RCBOs that came from HomePro, Panasonic brand, should be available from your local electrical emporium. I'll post a piccie.

EDIT OK so if everything goes through that breaker at least we have a sensible location to place an RCBO.

EDIT 2 Can you post a photo of the water heater breaker please.

That looks like an RCBO on the shower (great), it's location is not so wonderful sad.png

If you press the button it should trip out if it's an RCD / RCBO.

Placing it in a nice plastic box would mitigate its positioning smile.png

EDIT You can add a similar unit on your main board by replacing the big breaker with one like you have on the shower (the 30A version). This would add shock protection to the whole house for a nominal cost.

BUT, old homes tend to have leaky wiring at the best of times and you might find it trips when it rains sad.png

Do you have any appliances that need a ground apart form the water heater (washing machine, desktop PC etc)?

EDIT 2 You already seem to have the biggest shock hazard (the water heater / shower), at least partially, covered.

The label on the shower breaker says earth leakage breaker. Can i use this type on the main board without an earth?

The water pump is earthed. All the other sockets are 2 wire.

If you have a picture of the unit from homepro or a link that would be great. I have checked their website and can only see single pole breakers that are about 1500bt.

I hope there normally is a cover on that shower switch as would be extreme danger as is now - should be outside the wet area with no chance of contact with wires.

As for replacement of main breaker you want to turn that off first and then remove fuse but strongly advise paying someone from shop to do as you are very close to main live line unless disconnected at meter first. Not worth taking any chance for a few baht savings.

Do you have a link to this 500TBH RCBO. I might be interested.

Thanks again.

Do you have a link to this 500TBH RCBO. I might be interested.

Thanks again.

No link I'm afraid, but this chap was 500 Baht in HomePro Chaeng Watthana including the natty plastic box (it was cleaner when new).

post-14979-0-28194900-1433672011_thumb.j

Can an Earth leakage breaker be used when the house is only wired live / neutral( no earth)?

Yes, one of the RCD, RCBO type devices will function just fine without a ground.

BUT, any Class-1 appliances that need an earth must still be adequately grounded to be completely safe.

Archived