1600 baht for the Triton's first service. Fair?

The reason I ask is that I'm pretty sure Isuzu only used to charge me 1000 baht for oil change and filter and I doubt if Mitsu will do anything different for the first (6 month) service. The vehicle hasn't done 5000 klms yet, but the service is for 10,000 klms or 6 months whichever comes first.

To late for me to look at my invoices - they are in the truck - but will also depend if you had mineral or synthetic oil and do you have free servicing?

Mitsu (in Pattaya anyway) are sticklers for the service interval so make sure you don't miss one even if you have done no mileage or they will threaten to void the warranty - had to have two services done on consecutive days once........

To late for me to look at my invoices - they are in the truck - but will also depend if you had mineral or synthetic oil and do you have free servicing?

Mitsu (in Pattaya anyway) are sticklers for the service interval so make sure you don't miss one even if you have done no mileage or they will threaten to void the warranty - had to have two services done on consecutive days once........

Yes, free servicing.

At 1600 Baht, they must be using a synthetic oil. IIRC, most Mitsubishi dealers use Shell Helix Ultra - if that's what you're getting, yes, 1600 is a fair price for ~6L of it and a new oil filter...

Just don't listen to them if they suggest 5,000KM oil change intervals :)

At 1600 Baht, they must be using a synthetic oil. IIRC, most Mitsubishi dealers use Shell Helix Ultra - if that's what you're getting, yes, 1600 is a fair price for ~6L of it and a new oil filter...

Just don't listen to them if they suggest 5,000KM oil change intervals smile.png

The service book says every 6 months or 10,000 klms, whichever comes first. I guess if I want to honour the warranty I have no choice. I'll be pushed to do 5000 klms between services.

Edited by giddyup

My first Mitsu service was 1,000 baht but 1,600 doesn't sound too bad. I can remember paying 15,000 in the UK years ago.

Same in Australia, it's just a rip off. Modern cars need very little other than oil and filter changes. It's not like the old days when the had to lube 50 points and adjust points, timing etc. They wanted $450 to do my Hyundai, so I just bought 4 litres of quality oil and a Hyundai filter and did it myself once a year.

Edited by giddyup

The Mitsu dealers I have used offer the choice of synthetic oil at 10,000 km interval or mineral oil (Semi synthetic for marketing types) at 5,000km interval. Take your choice as everyone has their own opinion.

The book lists both mineral and synthetic grades at 10,000km interval so warranty should be OK either way.

Gents,

So you all know, Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets dirty and to a certain extent is thinned by various liquids that may get into it, diesel fuel etc, if you want to change the oil, then change the filter as well, no use adding clean oil and then running it through a dirty filter, 5,000 kms for modern oils is just not warranted, 10,000 kms is fine.

PS: Yes I am a trained Motor Mechanic.

Edited by Pungdo

The Mitsu dealers I have used offer the choice of synthetic oil at 10,000 km interval or mineral oil (Semi synthetic for marketing types) at 5,000km interval. Take your choice as everyone has their own opinion.

The book lists both mineral and synthetic grades at 10,000km interval so warranty should be OK either way.

I'm taking the Triton in for it's first oil change this morning, Ill ask if I have a choice of oils. I'd prefer to pay a bit extra but only do once a year because I don't rack up a lot of K's.

Last time ford did the service they kept trying to push the engine flush. I said NO. Just make sure you put the best quality oil and new filter. Watched them do the oil as I don't trust them.

I see they just blow compressed air on air filters not re-new them.

These days I do my own service and I know its done correctly with best oil.

I change the oil in my Triton every 5k. 1600 sounds about right.

I think an oil change every 5000 klms is overkill, it's just a way for service centres to make money.

I've got the "older brother", the L 200 Strada, with a 2.8 l Diesel engine. The reason why I change the oil with filter every 5 K isn't the sticker that tells me so.

The hot climate, constantly running AC and other circumstances make perfect sense to change it every 5 K's.

I've got already 268 K on the clock and the engine's running so smoothly that I'll try to put 500 K on it.

My truck's already 16 years old, but I do service it well. I buy decent oil at a store where all mechanics buy their stuff, 6 liters of good oil, plus filer for about 750 baht, then drive to a gas station near our place where they've a good guy who lets the oil completely drain, which is only 120 baht.

Mitsubishi is about seven km out of town and they charge about 500 baht more for an oil change. Your car's only as good as the service you give to it.

I still have my first brake shoes on my rear brakes and still got more than 50% meat on it. I'm always using my gears to slow down.

post-158336-0-11255100-1433911455_thumb.

Last time ford did the service they kept trying to push the engine flush. I said NO. Just make sure you put the best quality oil and new filter. Watched them do the oil as I don't trust them.

I see they just blow compressed air on air filters not re-new them.

These days I do my own service and I know its done correctly with best oil.

I also use "compressed air" from time to time and see nothing wrong with doing so. Once the color of your air filter turns very dark, then it's time for replacement.

There're so many areas with a lot of dusty roads, so you're recommending to change the filter whenever it's dirty? Why not blow all the dust away and save a lot of money?

If they use "compressed air", they definitely don't rip you of, it's just one way to keep your airflow intact, without wasting money.

The place where I get my oil and filter changed, also clean the air filter with "compressed air" and I appreciate that. It's only 120 baht and you do your change by yourself?

Don't get me wrong, I know how to change oil, could also change my rear and front brakes alone, but I prefer to go to guys who know what they're doing.

And I also give them a tip, they'll never forget you and do a good job. Good luck with your oil changes on the road at home.......

Gents,

So you all know, Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets dirty and to a certain extent is thinned by various liquids that may get into it, diesel fuel etc, if you want to change the oil, then change the filter as well, no use adding clean oil and then running it through a dirty filter, 5,000 kms for modern oils is just not warranted, 10,000 kms is fine.

PS: Yes I am a trained Motor Mechanic.

But, I still understand, why is the interval much more than in Europe, I remember a VW golf have interval with automatic notification, and it happens after 20,000km or more.

There is nothing for free in this country. The oil and filter always have to be paid. Mazda takes close to 4 grand for the first service of my wifes Mazda 3 (Oil, Filter, drain screw and O- ring).

Not according to pitchag post #16, he said he got it all for free.

I'm taking the Triton in for it's first oil change this morning, Ill ask if I have a choice of oils. I'd prefer to pay a bit extra but only do once a year because I don't rack up a lot of K's.

Just got back from Mitsu, they charged me 1250 baht for oil and filter. I'm happy with that.

Did you ask them and what did they say? As per my earlier reply I would be very surprised if they agreed to such a request but you never know smile.png

Just got back from Mitsu, they charged me 1250 baht for oil and filter. I'm happy with that.

Did you ask them and what did they say? As per my earlier reply I would be very surprised if they agreed to such a request but you never know smile.png

I still have to take it in every 6 months but depending on how many klms I've done they will decide if I need an oil change or not.

I change the oil in my Triton every 5k. 1600 sounds about right.

I think an oil change every 5000 klms is overkill, it's just a way for service centres to make money.

I've got the "older brother", the L 200 Strada, with a 2.8 l Diesel engine. The reason why I change the oil with filter every 5 K isn't the sticker that tells me so.

The hot climate, constantly running AC and other circumstances make perfect sense to change it every 5 K's.

I've got already 268 K on the clock and the engine's running so smoothly that I'll try to put 500 K on it.

My truck's already 16 years old, but I do service it well. I buy decent oil at a store where all mechanics buy their stuff, 6 liters of good oil, plus filer for about 750 baht, then drive to a gas station near our place where they've a good guy who lets the oil completely drain, which is only 120 baht.

Mitsubishi is about seven km out of town and they charge about 500 baht more for an oil change. Your car's only as good as the service you give to it.

I still have my first brake shoes on my rear brakes and still got more than 50% meat on it. I'm always using my gears to slow down.

"I'm always using my gears to slow down".....WRONG...... Proper advice is use your brakes to slow down,the reason being otherwise you are putting extra wear on the more expensive components of clutch,gearbox and engine rather than cheap and easily replaceable brake linings.

Any one driving the current model triton? how do you rate it?

Looking to buy one new for 590kB.

Any advise?

Thanks.

That must be the no frills 2 door, the top of the line 4 door is over 900,000.