What are you looking for in a watering hole?

Pieman

After owning managing a guest house and, later, a bar/restaurant up north an investor has asked me to look at opening a bar, pub or club in Bangkok. As part of my research, I thought it a good idea to canvas potential customers. It would be really helpful to know the sort of thing you are looking for. I'd like to have a mixture of good live music (Western and Thai), with an open mike night and regular guest performers; a short but excellent menu, reasonable prices and high standards of service and cleanliness. No BGs.

Any thoughts about location, decor, number of seats/tables, high tech or warm and cozy, themes, furniture, amenities, pub games. Don't forget your pet hates, either.

We are moving forward very positively so here's your chance to get what you want on a night out.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm easily pleased when it comes to places to meet up with friends and consume alcoholic beverages smile.png

Pet hates (which will encourage me never to return):

Loud music early in the evening - got to be able to have a conversation.

Poor sound system when it does get loud later.

Hovering staff / inattentive staff (a difficult balance I know).

I don't particularly like live cat-strangling, but if they're good no real problem (Karaoke or an open mike is a killer for me).

Seating / tables that are fixed down (need flexibility for variable group sizes).

Must haves:

WiFi (and a decent internet connection)

Decent coffee if open during the day - you may want to attract the Starbucks crowd during alcohol restrictions (I've lost count of how many business meetings I've had in Starbucks).

I also used to own a pub up North (Chiang Mai). The biggest problems your friend will face are recruiting and retaining good staff who can speak sufficient English and have the commitment to do the job, a government regulatory regime that decides exactly what rules it wants regarding the sale of alcoholic beverages and enforces them even handedly for all and connected to that removal of the need to pay 'fees' in order to compete and a country that is stable and able to attract tourists without constant coups, political turmoil and military dictatorships.

As to what I like to see in a pub now that I am a reasonably paid wage slave again: a Western landlord who is involved in the day to day running of his business, a good range of reasonably priced food and drinks, a good location near other bars to facilitate pub crawls, no loud music except on special occasions, a decent crowd of 'regulars' who aren't cliquey, Western newspapers, no smoking, etc etc...

Edited by millwall_fan

peace and quite, relaxation, no farangs, no bullshit talk, no smoke, no noise, no soi dogs, no hawkers, no bar girls, ....

just ice cold beer ...

wait !! I already have that in my room .. !!!! thank god. gigglem.gif

I like good company too.

Thanks for reminding me! :D

Lots of parts of Bangkok do not have an western (Irish?) type bar (with a good happy hour for draught beer). Yet farangs are scattered all around the city so no shortage of potential customers. And many of the existing bars attract Thais as well.

Think outside of the box!

Apart from being in a good location from my office AND my apartment...

Turn off's:

- music that is too loud before 8:30/ 9 pm. I'd like to be able to talk to friends without shouting.

- if you have to have live- music, make sure it is good! It is not "Every cake you bake, every shake you make...", it is also not "yesterday, all my traffic seems so far away..."

- unattentive staff

Turn on's:

- there is actually a music- style called "Rock" and it is not a total mistake, to play one or the other tunes occasionally.

- beer girls!

- attentive staff

- a good mix in the interior: not too dark, not too neon

- a nice beer menu- nothing overly fancy and have in stock, what you advertise.

- a food- menu that is well balanced between Thai, farang and pub- food. Well balanced, does not mean: cramp everything in there, you can find! Better go for fewer dishes, but do them well. And understand, that "vegetarian" does not mean pork- knuckles...without the pork- knuckles!

Good luck!

- sports coverage (not only football) including NFL and NHL and other sports like TDF and Giro, track and field, and winter sports (with the sound on when big sports events are being shown)

- WiFi

- obviously a wide selection of beers (a few Czech beers would be fantastic) but also decent mixed drinks

- non-smoking inside

- wide selection of good food (European, American, Thai, Aussie) at reasonable prices

- mostly classic American and British music played at a sound level where you can still have a decent conversation (and turned off when big sports events are on)

- available staff (i.e., staff that recognizes when you need something)

Dislikes:

- solicitors

- over-rowdy or loud patrons (especially ones that want to tell you their life story even though you don't want to hear it)

I also used to own a pub up North (Chiang Mai). The biggest problems your friend will face are recruiting and retaining good staff who can speak sufficient English and have the commitment to do the job, a government regulatory regime that decides exactly what rules it wants regarding the sale of alcoholic beverages and enforces them even handedly for all and connected to that removal of the need to pay 'fees' in order to compete and a country that is stable and able to attract tourists without constant coups, political turmoil and military dictatorships.

As to what I like to see in a pub now that I am a reasonably paid wage slave again: a Western landlord who is involved in the day to day running of his business, a good range of reasonably priced food and drinks, a good location near other bars to facilitate pub crawls, no loud music except on special occasions, a decent crowd of 'regulars' who aren't cliquey, Western newspapers, no smoking, etc etc...

Yeah, you closed about a year too early. sad.png

I want,

Fruit smoothies,

Hookers and Coyote dancers, and beer girls,

no bar is complete without them.

I don't want,

70s music played by white guys with ponytails.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Good security is very important keep the riffraff out and to handle any problem quickly.

Good selection of food reasonably priced and good portions.

Good drink selection, and also included an option for large bottled beer.

Indoor and outdoor seating if possible.

Live sports is a must, and when the big premier league games are on have sound, not keep the music playing.

And last but not least location location location is a must.

Pet friendly! Not enough a/c places that I can drink with my dog. No joke. There are many dog owners who prefer to bring their (well-behaved) pet with them. Look at how well K-Village does.

A bar and a good bartender!

For the evenings that you are coming alone, or meeting friends later, a nice bar to lean to/sit down is a must. Also, a bartender that can handle cocktails and other drinks, speaks good english, and has an eye for the patrons' needs is a must. Even better if he/she has some kind of personal trait or habitus that makes him/her stand out of the crowd, partly an entertainer or "local celebrity". I know that the right personality may be difficult to come by, but definitely is a valuable asset to the restaurant.

Many other good points (music level and quality etc) have been already mentioned above.

Edited by koo

Pet friendly! Not enough a/c places that I can drink with my dog. No joke. There are many dog owners who prefer to bring their (well-behaved) pet with them. Look at how well K-Village does.

If I wanted to drink in a kennel, I would contact the dog pound ....

Bars are not the place for dogs ...

My guess based upon no scientific data whatsoever.....for every patron who is attracted by a "pet friendly" policy, at least three patrons will go to a different business where they don't have to share space with farm animals.

The community created by the regulars in the bar is the most important. This is sadly missing in Bangkok, although there are a few bars like this, such as Fatty's over on Rama IX/Din Daeng.

Decorations and drinks are really unimportant, although they seem to be the biggest focus for the bars on Sukhumvit. People go to bars to socialize. Being able to go by yourself to a bar and meet with others that have decided to go to the bar to socialize is what makes that bar great.

No scruffy looking people.

No Sandals.

Preferably no shorts.
No singlets EVER!!

Decent measures and premium spirits.

Good choice of tapas style snacks that can be eaten at the bar, no need for a full blown food menu, that is what a restaurant is for.

Staff who can understand at least enough English to know what a 'Vodka Soda' is without me needing to pronouncing it 'Wod KAR So'

Edited by seancbk

For me it has to be relaxing place. At the end of a hard day in retirement I don't need any sort of loud music, I din't need teenagers ordering one Chang between 4 of them and I don't need to get any ferlung telling me about their woes. Heard all the BS there is to here in the past 10 years. I am a regular at a new pub just out of town and a very friendly bunch of Thais there too. 3 ladies who smile and one ladyboy who is just one of the staff, no agenda just a cheery bunch. If only they did Hick's Special Draft instead of Chang draft.

- sports coverage (not only football) including NFL and NHL and other sports like TDF and Giro, track and field, and winter sports (with the sound on when big sports events are being shown)

- WiFi

- obviously a wide selection of beers (a few Czech beers would be fantastic) but also decent mixed drinks

- non-smoking inside

- wide selection of good food (European, American, Thai, Aussie) at reasonable prices

- mostly classic American and British music played at a sound level where you can still have a decent conversation (and turned off when big sports events are on)

Dislikes:

- solicitors

- over-rowdy or loud patrons (especially ones that want to tell you their life story even though you don't want to hear it)

Solicitors. I don't like them either, just about all men in suits are crooks, but what's this got to do with watering holes?

- WiFi

- non-smoking inside

Dislikes:

- solicitors

Solicitors. I don't like them either, just about all men in suits are crooks, but what's this got to do with watering holes?

me neither, I don't like bankers, lawyers, solicitors, CEO's, Politicians, teachers and many government officials. Hmmmmm ...... you are correct, most of them are cheats & crooks... hell even the UN secretary general Ban ki moon is a cheat & liar .... didn't want to list Israel as killing children because of pressure from others. But that's another story ........

so a good watering hole is having none of the above .....coffee1.gif

Well hope these posts have helped the op , 5555

This is the reason why Bangkok has such wide and varied assortment of drinking places.

To accomadate all of the differing requirements by all the mix of people here.

If you run a successfull place before im guessing the chances are if you stick to tour known and trusted formula you wont go far wrong in the big mango