Sihanoukville, Cambodia welcomes first international flight

geovalin

The south-western Cambodian port town of Sihanoukville welcomed its first international operations on Saturday, June 6 with the launch of direct flights from Singapore Changi.

According to operator SilkAir (MI, Singapore Changi), it is plying the route on a charter basis in order to test the market.

"Three other flights are planned this coming December, a period during which outbound travels peak due to the school holidays in Singapore," it said.
Currently, Sihanoukville is connected to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap by Cambodia Angkor Air (K6, Siem Reap) and Cambodia Bayon Airlines (BD, Phnom Penh). The city is a prominent logistics conduit and is home to the Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone (SSEZ) - an overseas economic and trade cooperation zone.

source: http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/37962-sihanoukville-cambodia-welcomes-first-international-flight

That country has done really well---- I remember in the 90s...I had decided that I would live in SE-Asia, so I stayed in each country 6-8 weeks, but after 3 weeks in Cambodia that was enough--it was really quite scary-- Phnom Penh full of desperate people, no street lighting (well half the roads had been dug up for some mad reason of Pol Pot to return to year 1) Used to hire a bike & driver for $2 a day....that meant he would sleep on the pavement outside your hotel just waiting for you, you couldn't walk around , just so many small children trying to get something to eat.

I wrote to a friend that I thought it would take decades to turn that place around---- but I think they have done really well, --in such a short time--if it was then like it is now- I would have defiantly put it on my short list

If you want to start a business like a guesthouse, bar, restaurant etc ...get in on the ground floor NOW. Snookyville could be the "New Pattaya" in a few more years.

Let's hope not.

It's been on the cards for several years now.