Video footage exonerates Aussie expat from Phuket murder charge

webfact

Wonder how much money changed hands for this video to suddenly surface after 3 months. And who carries knives to midnight rotary meetings?

He paid 1.2 million Baht + an additional 100k Baht (cremation fee) to the dead thugs mother for the new "video footage".

I presume you know this man, so seems to me he was blackmailed also!

So is it illegal to carry a pocket knife? they sell some pretty wicked ones at street stalls but a small pocket knife is that illegal???

"PHUKET: Video from one security camera shows Mr Pendlebury attempting to film the eviction of customers from the premises....shows a figure confronting Mr Pendlebury....Mr Pendlebury, who quickly retreats along a row of parked tuk-tuks... Within moments he is shown being pursued by five or six men.,Seconds later, Mr Pendlebury has told police, he was knocked to the ground, being kicked in the head and fighting for his life, then desperately lashing out with a pocket knife. Injuries to the face, head and torso of Australian Mark Pendlebury are consistent with his claim that he was ''being stomped'' by security guards and tuk-tuk drivers before a fatal stabbing in Patong.... .... Two men he says were Indians - or possibly tourists from the Middle east - intervened and saved his life."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hn6TsoSx2g&feature=youtu.be

My only question regarding this at TV (re-enactments.com)(speculation.com?), is how a man who is being pursued/ attacked, punched, kicked in the face, by five people, has the time or means to get a pocket knife out of his pocket, open it and kill one of the attackers, in self defense. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have trouble opening my pocket knife, on my own, standing still in a light filled room and I don't have Parkin(sson's or anything like that. A pocket knife is also a euphemism for the weapon he used.

I would venture there had to be some intent and a lot that isn't being said. If a million baht was paid for "adjustments" to evidence and to the dead man's family, it was generous by Thai standards. Do we get to analyse the actual court evidence transcripts?

He may have started with good intent, however I still can't see how a man who has spent so long here and knows how things work, why he attempted "any" intervention in the first place. It is surely something that will live in his conscience for the rest of his life.

You should buy a new modern design easy opening tactical knife. They are designed to open quickly with one hand - thumb nick or stud, flipper etc.

We all do things on the spur of the moment. If a fight kicks off here, I've seen Thai men and women get the phones out to film it. Not interested in stopping or intervening, just filming.

Having a small pocket knife with a blade of around 3 inch is not really going "tooled up for a fight" now is it? Different if he's produced a Bowie, dagger or tanto etc.

He was being assaulted by a group of bouncers in a country where it's known that groups of men, including bouncers, often hand out very severe sometimes fatal beatings and usually get away with little if any punishment.

Absolutely the right decision by the police this time.

I carry a serrated blade every where I go. Even when in Thailand I carry it and it can be seen as it is the type with a clip for the pocket. As a kid growing up on a farm it was natural to have a knife on you. Being in the military it was useful. Being in the construction industry it was useful. In Thailand or any country with bad drivers it is useful if you have ever seen a driver die in a burning vehicle that could not escape. The seatbelt tends to get locked in a violent crash and the only way to free yourself is to cut the seatbelt. Buy a piece of fruit off the street it is useful. Opening a knife in a fight is the last resort as with any weapon you risk it being taken and used against you. So , I support anyone carrying a knife. If you have any military training you are given basic hand to hand combat so it does give you some confidence incase you are ever accosted or in fear of your life. But as a last resort. Glad to hear justice might prevail.

One of, if not indeed the most, sensible posts I've read on TVF.

I salute you sir!

I carry a serrated blade every where I go. Even when in Thailand I carry it and it can be seen as it is the type with a clip for the pocket. As a kid growing up on a farm it was natural to have a knife on you. Being in the military it was useful. Being in the construction industry it was useful. In Thailand or any country with bad drivers it is useful if you have ever seen a driver die in a burning vehicle that could not escape. The seatbelt tends to get locked in a violent crash and the only way to free yourself is to cut the seatbelt. Buy a piece of fruit off the street it is useful. Opening a knife in a fight is the last resort as with any weapon you risk it being taken and used against you. So , I support anyone carrying a knife. If you have any military training you are given basic hand to hand combat so it does give you some confidence incase you are ever accosted or in fear of your life. But as a last resort. Glad to hear justice might prevail.

I salute you sir!

Bloody hell, the bogwash that you salute is amazing (unless you're being sarcastic). To quote him...

"In Thailand or any country with bad drivers it is useful if you have ever seen a driver die in a burning vehicle that could not escape. The seatbelt tends to get locked in a violent crash and the only way to free yourself is to cut the seatbelt. Buy a piece of fruit off the street it is useful."

How many times do you think he has had to rescue a trapped driver in a burning vehicle following a violent crash? And did the knife protect him from the raging inferno whilst he was rescuing all those people in those incidents?

There is another way to release a seatbelt, locked or not and that is to push the release button on the buckle, quite a clever innovation and a lot more convenient than having to saw through the tough webbing. Maybe he doesn't know that inertia-reel seat belts only lock-up momentarily to prevent the user being thrown around, as soon as the inertia of the crash has gone and tension is released from the belts they are free to move, but let's disregard that, eh?

The fruit that is sold on the streets is always cut up by the vendor, no-one needs a knife in that situation.

His post was nonsense in a vain attempt to justify his claim of carrying a "serrated blade" at all times.

Edited by Sviss Geez

Didn't the military teach you, "You don't take a knife to a gun fight." biggrin.png

Pull a knife here, and there is a good chance you will be shot.

"PHUKET: Video from one security camera shows Mr Pendlebury attempting to film the eviction of customers from the premises....shows a figure confronting Mr Pendlebury....Mr Pendlebury, who quickly retreats along a row of parked tuk-tuks... Within moments he is shown being pursued by five or six men.,Seconds later, Mr Pendlebury has told police, he was knocked to the ground, being kicked in the head and fighting for his life, then desperately lashing out with a pocket knife. Injuries to the face, head and torso of Australian Mark Pendlebury are consistent with his claim that he was ''being stomped'' by security guards and tuk-tuk drivers before a fatal stabbing in Patong.... .... Two men he says were Indians - or possibly tourists from the Middle east - intervened and saved his life."

Assuming the above report is true ............

THIS MAN WAS SOOOOO LUCKY that he was carrying a knife at the time. Otherwise he would be dead. What sort of message is this sending out to tourists and others who like to use their video-phone? ... If you come to Phuket, make sure you are carrying a knife for self-protection. But you probably would still need to pay money to get any available evidence to keep you out of the Bangkok Hilton for the rest of your life T.I.T.

One of the golden rules in Thailand, never get involved, that seems one lesson the Australian had not learned. Why did the guy decide to make a video of an incident that had nothing to do with him and then get into and altercation with a deadly weapon?

Another point, the police dropping their charges means nothing, as the final word has to come from the public prosecutor or in other words; it`s not over until the fat lady sings and in Thailand this could continue on for years until a final decision is made.

The guy is far from being out of the woods yet, my guess being, his nightmare is only beginning.

One of the golden rules in Thailand, never get involved, that seems one lesson the Australian had not learned. Why did the guy decide to make a video of an incident that had nothing to do with him and then get into and altercation with a deadly weapon?

Another point, the police dropping their charges means nothing, as the final word has to come from the public prosecutor or in other words; it`s not over until the fat lady sings and in Thailand this could continue on for years until a final decision is made.

The guy is far from being out of the woods yet, my guess being, his nightmare is only beginning.

Read the backstory about his friend in a wheelchair being attacked and the perps getting away with it.

I salute you sir!

Bloody hell, the bogwash that you salute is amazing (unless you're being sarcastic). To quote him...

"In Thailand or any country with bad drivers it is useful if you have ever seen a driver die in a burning vehicle that could not escape. The seatbelt tends to get locked in a violent crash and the only way to free yourself is to cut the seatbelt. Buy a piece of fruit off the street it is useful."

How many times do you think he has had to rescue a trapped driver in a burning vehicle following a violent crash? And did the knife protect him from the raging inferno whilst he was rescuing all those people in those incidents?

There is another way to release a seatbelt, locked or not and that is to push the release button on the buckle, quite a clever innovation and a lot more convenient than having to saw through the tough webbing. Maybe he doesn't know that inertia-reel seat belts only lock-up momentarily to prevent the user being thrown around, as soon as the inertia of the crash has gone and tension is released from the belts they are free to move, but let's disregard that, eh?

The fruit that is sold on the streets is always cut up by the vendor, no-one needs a knife in that situation.

His post was nonsense in a vain attempt to justify his claim of carrying a "serrated blade" at all times.

To add to SG's post, agree it would be rare to have to disengage a locked seatbelt in a flaming car crash, hopefully not something you happen across every day. in Thailand even more rare to find them actually wearing the seatbelt, this applies to Thais and Farrang drivers

Wonder how much money changed hands for this video to suddenly surface after 3 months. And who carries knives to midnight rotary meetings?

Aren't you the skeptic! And to your second question.....foresters, sailors.... a whole raft of people might if they were enroute from their chosen occupation..when I was camping, I carried what was called a "hunting" knife in a scabbard.....as a SCUBA diver, I wear a "dive" knife! No, I don't wear my dive knife on the way home, but then again, I don't wear my wet suit. His carrying of one (illegally,as appears to be evidenced by the 500฿ fine for carrying one in a public place) may have resulted in a different outcome from the illegal physical attack on his person) does not alter the fact that the attack was unlawful! If he had not had the knife, would he have suffered a beating at the hands of the "outside the law" security guard? Unknowable! And would have such a beating resulted in a satisfactory outcome for him! Perhaps, inherent in this incident is the message that, if you may NOT be carrying out your duties in a lawful manner, don't seek to muzzle someone who is innocently recording your possible transgression! That your transgression could end in your demise just may depend upon how you try to conceal your transgression! By this I am not saying that the victim in this instance deserved to die....never would I suggest that nor do I feel or believe that.....but as the saying in Thailand...som nom nah....or in English....as your sow, so you may you reap!! Is it fair..is it what you deserved? Possibly, possibly not...but it is what you brought about!! If he had not attacked this man for simply photographing/videographing what was taking place (and if it was lawful and reasonable, what was the problem?) he undoubtedly would still be alive! Some actions in real life have real consequences which cannot be reversed. I am sure of one thing and one thing only! Both the ultimate victim and the initial victim wish that the ultimate victim had not chosen his course of action!!

I salute you sir!

To add to SG's post, agree it would be rare to have to disengage a locked seatbelt in a flaming car crash, hopefully not something you happen across every day. in Thailand even more rare to find them actually wearing the seatbelt, this applies to Thais and Farrang drivers

Might be rare...but however rare, it only need to occur ONCE in your lifetime, to prove beyond all doubt that such capability was well possessed. As for the topic at hand.....simply knowing of the possibility should be sufficient cause...after all it seems to be lawful or at least accepted for 2,3 4, 5 whatever number to attack one,no matter what the origin of the dispute! I may NEVER use my knowledge of CPR or First Aid...does that mean that I am wrong to avail myself of such education? Anyone who would suggest that I not avail myself of whatever ability I may possess to deal a criminal attack by some unknown as yet person, is (imho) not being reasonable! But I guess that some will say that it would have been better that the innocent one suffer possibly grievous bodily injury as opposed to the "criminal' ending up dead!! That may be your opinion...it is not mine! As my father used to say....."don't stick your hand in the path of a buzz saw when it's running! Good advice....especially with the caveat..."you may not realize that it is running", so better to "not attack the unknown, especially if you think that you might be in the wrong! Both the Australian and the deceased man's family, I have not doubt, wish that the deceased had not chosen to act in the manner that he did! R.I.P. Khun Security Guard. Condolences to your family!!

You could hardly believe it would need more than one young Thai to chase away an elderly Australian man filming a disturbance a pack of Tuk Tuk drivers had to join in hopefully they joined in to help restrain the Thai security guard perusing the elderly gent, or is it the lame brain male Thai belief that if you hunt in a pack you will never get caught or injured, the cowards eye view.

Didn't the military teach you, "You don't take a knife to a gun fight." biggrin.png

Pull a knife here, and there is a good chance you will be shot.

Paul Hogan would have said "Now that isn't a knife"

Well done Aussie you got justice even though you got blackmailed into paying for the funeral and the cctv footage.

The video was available here on TV and on line since the event took place. Have any of you who criticize seen the video? If so, need to work on comprehension skills. I can understand his getting the knife out. He was walking away at a good pace around that auto, sees Thai gang coming after him, of course he is going to prepare for the worst. If thugs had stayed where should have, none of this would have happened. Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

If any compensation should be paid, it should be to the Aussie for the assault on him. Too bad kid dead, but family and community should have done a better job raising him.

So the video proof is that the guy was completely innocent---set upon beaten etc............

I guess it might be worth a look at what our "Hang them High " friends thought the morning after....... this is before any proof could yet come it---- just a sample from the first page is enough,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Z42

POPULAR

RIP to the victim. As for the perpetrator, however this is dressed up he will likely die in a squalid hellhole of a cell. If guilty it will be his just desserts for an inability to either walk away from a confrontation or fight like a man.

-------------------

CiaranO

RIP to the security guard and condolences to his family.
Let's hope this Aussie gets what he try deserves

-------------------------

Straky

Yep, hope he gets everything he deserves. Might also shut up a few of the knuckle heads on TV who constantly crow about their "rights" to carry weapons in this country especially the multitude that are proud to tell everyone they carry knives on their person in their vehicles and wherever else for "protection". Weapon carried by cowards pure and simple

-----------------------------

TomnearCentral

With cheap airfares comes the ability for the riff-raff to travel around the region (and the world) and transport their 'kulcha' with them

Well now, the man is going to pay for his drunken stupidity...that is for sure.

---------------------

GemGuy

10 years would be the minimum for this guy....... no less

-----------------------------

And so on .......& so forth...........page after page sending him to be hung or whatever............then maybe a bit latter......a trail after that.

Pocket knifes are commonly carried by many people I would imagine. The idea of money changing hands is conjecture at best, unless one is privy to additional information.

Pocket knifes are commonly carried by many people I would imagine. The idea of money changing hands is conjecture at best, unless one is privy to additional information.

PhuketWan has claimed Mark paid first 100k for funeral costs, and recently an additional 1,2 mio.

My pops always encouraged me to carry a swiss army knife and it's helped me out a thousand times since I was a kid. Thankfully I've never been in a situation to even consider using it to defend myself. He might have been carrying a bowie knife for all I know, but a lot of people carry small utiltiy knives around.

Who the hell has midnight Rotary meetings?

In the event of an assault you can use whatever's at your disposal to defend yourself and if your defensive actions aren't considered excessive you're in the clear.

Why some people think the legality of weapons used effects the above? Don't have their thinking caps on.

The separate issue of carrying an illegal knife was dealt with.

It's nice of the airlines to let you aboard the plane to Thailand with a knife on your pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

"However, Mr Pendlebury was fined B500 for carrying a knife in a public place"

That knife probably saved Mr. Pendlebury's life and he was fined B 500,-, Thai police on it's best....again. NOT.