Somkid tipped for Cabinet as ban scrapped

webfact

CABINET RESHUFFLE?
Somkid tipped for Cabinet as ban scrapped

NOPHAKHUN LIMSAMARNPHUN
THE NATION

30262078-01_big.JPG
SOMKID JATUSRIPITAK

BANGKOK: -- SOMKID JATUSRIPITAK, a former deputy prime minister, is expected to join the Cabinet around the end of July after an amendment to the provisional charter of 2014 is approved by the National Legislative Assembly.

Currently chairman of the prime minister's advisory board, Somkid last year was unable to join the Cabinet because he was among the 111 former politicians banned from taking up posts under the interim charter.

Sources close to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said it was highly likely that Somkid would be given a Cabinet post in the upcoming reshuffle, possibly taking charge of economic policies.

It is unclear whether Somkid will also bring in other people to take up economic portfolios or how this would affect MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, the deputy prime minister currently responsible for economic affairs.

Somkid played a prominent role in executing economic policies during the Thaksin Shinawatra administration back in the early 2000s. His expertise is in international marketing, branding and related areas, which sources say would be useful to help shore up the Prayut government's popularity, especially in economic, exports and related spheres.

While Prayut's military regime has restored domestic political stability to some extent, many people are |less satisfied with the |government's economic |management.

Sources say the weak global demand for goods has become one of the biggest challenges facing the economy at this juncture, since exports account for more than 70 per cent of gross domestic product.

Over the past four months, Thailand's exports have declined 3.99 per cent, with April shipments down 1.7 |per cent from the previous month.

Inflation dropped to negative-1.27 per cent in May, the lowest in five years and eight months, suggesting the economy is running into a growth challenge.

Political pundits have warned that the government will face more public dissatisfaction if people's economic well-being worsens in the coming months.

To prevent a further slide in popularity, the prime minister would need to restore public confidence and boost effectiveness in executing crucial economic reforms by reshuffling his economic portfolios, they said.

Once the charter amendments are approved by the NLA, possibly by July end of this month, Prayut is expected to work on the crucial Cabinet reshuffle with a focus on |the economic-management |team.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Somkid-tipped-for-Cabinet-as-ban-scrapped-30262078.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-11

How convenient. Same game, over and over again. thumbsup.gif

How strange that so many people were whining about the purge of Thaksin's old parties and teams and now there is a possibility/probability that SOMKID JATUSRIPITAK may get a cabinet post and we have people mumbling about how convenient it is.

It could quite well be that Somkid was very good at his job and perhaps no longer supports Thaksins policies and was offered the job.

Perhaps it is a small start at reconciliation, who knows?

I have no idea and I suspect very few others on this forum do either though they do try to make mountains of of molehills in their efforts to play down anything and everything this government does.

How strange that so many people were whining about the purge of Thaksin's old parties and teams and now there is a possibility/probability that SOMKID JATUSRIPITAK may get a cabinet post and we have people mumbling about how convenient it is.

It could quite well be that Somkid was very good at his job and perhaps no longer supports Thaksins policies and was offered the job.

I have no idea and I suspect very few others on this forum do either though they do try to make mountains of of molehills in their efforts to play down anything and everything this government does.

Perhaps I will keep a copy of the op and every time the one-eyed red crowd cry foul and accuse the current government about being biased against the PTP I will throw this story in their faces. biggrin.png

Perhaps I will keep a copy of the op and every time the one-eyed red crowd cry foul and accuse the current government about being biased against the PTP I will throw this story in their faces. biggrin.png

Of course that idea would have been relevant if Somkid hadn't been appointed Finance Minister for the last junta "government" in 2006, served as an advisor for the current junta "government" on foreign economic relations straight after the latest coup and been a full member (one of only two civilians) of the NCPO since September last year.

Kind of takes the "sting' away doesn't it?

The 7%'ers said the military will never ever suspend or hold one of their own accountable. Then they suspended a military commander.

The 7% er's said the rice scheme would be a grand success. Then it wasn't.

The 7%'ers said the Junta is purging thaksin and is followers. Then the Junta want to employee a thaksin ex minister.

One day I swear they will get it right..Until then I will keep believing FACTS.

A reminder to some members in their efforts to promote their views on the situation in Thailand, please notice the part in bold font below:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.
Continue to violate the above forum rule may find your account permanently suspended. Please take note.

Of course that idea would have been relevant if Somkid hadn't been appointed Finance Minister for the last junta "government" in 2006, served as an advisor for the current junta "government" on foreign economic relations straight after the latest coup and been a full member (one of only two civilians) of the NCPO since September last year.

Kind of takes the "sting' away doesn't it?

Actually no it doesn't at all.

To me it means that despite his politics he MUST be far better that the "elected" Finance Minister if the last PTP government who openly admitted to the country that he lied.

Now if Kittirat na-Ranong was any good perhaps he would have been appointed instead.

It kind of shows what many people thought about him, doesn't it?

Even Korn Chatikavaij from the Democrat party wasn't appointed either.

The 7%'ers said the military will never ever suspend or hold one of their own accountable. Then they suspended a military commander.

The 7% er's said the rice scheme would be a grand success. Then it wasn't.

The 7%'ers said the Junta is purging thaksin and is followers. Then the Junta want to employee a thaksin ex minister.

One day I swear they will get it right..Until then I will keep believing FACTS.

Don't hold your breath waiting for them.

You seem confused.Thaksin's policies have in broad terms been copied by all subsequent governments including the Democrat administration and the current military one.It is loyalty to Thaksin that's unacceptable to those who could never be elected by the Thai people - not his policies which in the most part ( obviously not the rice price support scheme) have general acceptance.

To me it means that despite his politics he MUST be far better that the "elected" Finance Minister if the last PTP government who openly admitted to the country that he lied.

Now if Kittirat na-Ranong was any good perhaps he would have been appointed instead.

Well actually it kind of shows what the junta thinks of using populist economics aka Thaksinomics, when facing a failing economy and a restless population.

Well actually it kind of shows what the junta thinks of using populist economics aka Thaksinomics, when facing a failing economy and a restless population.

A restless population ??? Prove it !