Sony Bravia 60" t.v

pgardiner

I bought new in Pattaya about 8 years ago. After about 2 years had to buy a part for it, (like a big bulb), for about 8,000 baht. Now it has developed vertical coloured lines down the picture. Phoned up Sony who said it was the prism box which they didn"t have and would cost in excess of 50,000 baht! Has anybody else had a similar problem and if so what is the answer because I do not wish to throw a 8 year old t.v away that cost me around 130,000 baht. Thanks for any replies or advice

I would have a service check as it might be as simple as a ribbon connector loose or shorting. Timing control board is mentioned as a cause on internet and that should not cost a great deal (but being that brand in Thailand not so sure). But I would not accept a phone call 50k guess.

It sounds like the TV in question is a rear projection type? if you're not sure what that means, does the side profile view look something like this?

Sony_KDF_50E3000_KDF_50E3000_50_BRAVIA_H

If it is one of these, look only for cheap and simple fixes - it's simply not worth spending proper money on to fix it... you can replace it with a light-years better 60" 1080P LED screen for less than 40K Baht, or a ten-light-years better 60" UHD screen for under 50K.

Was not thinking of that and indeed if that is what it is take the loss and get a much more advanced system for a lot less than repairs (which probably can not be done in any case as no parts and few such sets were ever sold in Thailand).

But that said there would be little lost in having a local TV repair shop take a look at it - it might be something they could fix cheaply. But you will still have a system well out of date in the world of HD/LED viewing.

Thanks for the replies and I will get a local technician to check it. Just seems very unprofessional of Sony having to throw away an 8 year old t.v costing 130,000 baht

I hear what you're saying, but if it's a rear projection unit, it has been well and truly superseded - the technology literally doesn't exist anymore.. and while it may have cost 130K, it's not even worth 10% of that now.

Edited by IMHO

8 year old TV's despite costing that much are as mentioned already obsolete.

My 2.5 year old Samsung 51" HD plasma TV have already developed one thin stripe vertical on the left side.

This stripe is there even when playing a movie from an external hard drive which is not a good sign.

It's not so bad yet that I gonna bin it but perhaps in the end of this year, bye bye.

The next one will not be a Samsung, that for sure, our old 36" HD Sony are still working well and living up in the master bed room.

It's disappointing man, 2.5 years, I had hoped for 4-5 years before exchanging it.

Samsung seems to have display issues with double image and lines - but often they can be corrected with just adjustment of the ribbon connections to the display (each side has one) so all might not be lost. Google has DIY information if you are up to it - but expect non company service would also be an option at a place that does much repair work.