Getting a DBS check from living and working in Thailand?

Hi members,

First of all I'm not sure if the topic is in the right place. I do apologize if it isn't.

I need to obtain a DBS check from Thailand as I have just returned to England and the companies i'm applying for work are needing these things, Because i have lived and worked outside the country for many years.

Do the British embassy do these things? or do I go to any police station and have it translated to English?

Your help and support will be appreciated, Thanks.

Do a search on TV think its the police headquarters in BKK that does these, not sure how you deal with this outside Thailand as think they need your finger prints, copies of your WP / visas etc but if memory serves if no records found you get it in around 7 days

I did this recently and it was a bit of a hassle, it depends on what you need it for as well.

I managed to do it online through an umbrella company and got a Basic Disclosure certificate, also known as a 'Discovery Scotland' (it's valid for all UK citizens). This is pretty easy to do and requires three bits of ID, such as passport, driving license and something official, recent with an address on. This took about 10 days to arrive in BKK.

I also went to the central Thai police station in BKK and got the Thai certificate - you can find what you need online, but you will also need a letter from your employer requesting this check. I completed the forms and fingerprints then got told to wait. When I asked 'how long?', the officer thought a while and replied 'two weeks!'. He was good to his word.

I believe that if you are in the UK you can go to your local police station and ask them to do a check. I know it's a lot easier if you're in the UK. If you are going to be working as a teacher you can also request the ICPC which I'm no expert on, but I think is straightforward to get.

In the end my new employer (a school) also had something set-up where I filled in an almost identical online form to the Discovery Scotland, the difference being it was requested by them, and I got an Enhanced Disclosure certificate (soft copy, still waiting for hard copy to UK address).

I think if you're in the UK you should go your local police station asap and ask them. I would request the ICPC if I was back as well as anything else I could get.

Edited by JestersShoes

I did this recently and it was a bit of a hassle, it depends on what you need it for as well.

I managed to do it online through an umbrella company and got a Basic Disclosure certificate, also known as a 'Discovery Scotland' (it's valid for all UK citizens). This is pretty easy to do and requires three bits of ID, such as passport, driving license and something official, recent with an address on. This took about 10 days to arrive in BKK.

I also went to the central Thai police station in BKK and got the Thai certificate - you can find what you need online, but you will also need a letter from your employer requesting this check. I completed the forms and fingerprints then got told to wait. When I asked 'how long?', the officer thought a while and replied 'two weeks!'. He was good to his word.

I believe that if you are in the UK you can go to your local police station and ask them to do a check. I know it's a lot easier if you're in the UK. If you are going to be working as a teacher you can also request the ICPC which I'm no expert on, but I think is straightforward to get.

In the end my new employer (a school) also had something set-up where I filled in an almost identical online form to the Discovery Scotland, the difference being it was requested by them, and I got an Enhanced Disclosure certificate (soft copy, still waiting for hard copy to UK address).

I think if you're in the UK you should go your local police station asap and ask them. I would request the ICPC if I was back as well as anything else I could get.

I had one of these a while ago, and even though it's the top police place in the country, you still don't have to really wait 2 weeks to get the report.

From what I remember there is a same day service. wink wink nudge nudge