Cinema sound, Central Plaza

AngThong

Saw the new Jurassic movie at Cineplex in the new Central Plaza in Rayong.

I've never before been to a cinema in Thailand. The decibel levels weren't deafening, they were skull-splitting; I sat through the entire movie with my fingers pressed against my ears, my chair shaking from the vibrations. I couldn't believe that everyone else seemed to enjoy the movie without covering their ears; my friend from Singapore who also attended also had to sit through the movie with ears closed, to avoid ear pain and headache. I've never witnessed anything like this in any cinema I've been to.

I could easily hear all the dialogue with my ears covered, and some of the louder bangs still almost hurt. I've witnessed a number of IMHO very loud temple fairs, but this was something else.

Is this common in Thailand? Or specific to the new Rayong Cineplex? I didn't see anyone else protecting their ears, god only knows how they avoid hearing loss and headache. I hope it was a freak event, or else I won't be going again.

Apart from the noise , is it a movie worth watching or a bit ho hum for the thinking movie goer?

I was never impressed by the previous Juassic Parks twenty years ago apart from knowing other people enjoyed them .

hahaha obviously you haven't walked through Central Ladphrao or Terminal 21 or one of the other shopping centres when they have an event on.....

Yeah i am amazed too, in Au its called noise pollution.....i wouldn't want to be one of the sales assistant in a near by store or in that that cinema, no work cover in Thailand you know.

Oh one time staying with ex TGF out at Don Muang at election time...to my horror roving pick up trucks blaring political slogans at peek hour time morning and night could be heard as far away as Chiang Mai.

Apart from the noise , is it a movie worth watching or a bit ho hum for the thinking movie goer?

I was never impressed by the previous Juassic Parks twenty years ago apart from knowing other people enjoyed them .

The movie was OK. Standard Hollywood fare, nothing outstanding whatsoever - effects, character, plot or otherwise.

I decided to sit it through as I'd driven quite a bit to see the movie.

I still cannot believe everyone was sitting as if these skull-splitting decibel levels were normal. I'm not talking about temple fair or loudspeaker car noise levels, I'm talking about the kind of noise that makes your chair vibrate and shatters your skull unless you cover your ears with your hands.

• 1 year later...