Too Old For A WP?

I work at a public government school and we have a new teacher that started this year. He was brought in by and agent. He inquired about when he should expect to be getting his WP and was told by said agent that he didn't need 1 because he was too old (over the age of requiring a WP to work). He's 63 years old and the agent told him that people over the age of 60 are not required to have a WP because the retirement age in Thailand for working is 60.

He's not a TV member which is why I'm posting this on his behalf. Hoping some of the more learned members could shed some light on this as I myself will be hitting the magical 60 in a few years.

Thank you in advance. smile.png

Edited by mrwebb8825

Sorry but that is nonsense regarding not required to have a WP over 60. There is no age restriction on getting a WP. The over 60 is the mandatory retirement age for government workers but working on an annual contract there is no limit except what the school may restrict it to. Obviously he can't get a WP if here on annual extension based on retirement.

So far the replies are pretty much what I expected to hear. Does it make a difference if it's a 10 month contract? We each carry a full 20 hr class load. He's on a married visa extension same as I am.

Edited by mrwebb8825

So far the replies are pretty much what I expected to hear. Does it make a difference if it's a 10 month contract? We each carry a full 20 hr class load. He's on a married visa extension same as I am.

nope still requires a WP

A mate who's also a TV member has a WP and he's 70, not a teacher mind.

Anyone who is working needs a WP!

When I was a teacher, one of my fellow teachers had a work permit and be was in his seventies.

That 60 year old thing is because gov't school teachers are meant to retire at 60.

So people will tell you all sorts of things.

If you work for university, International, or private school you don't have to retire at 60 but need a permit. Any other job needs a permit.

He needs a work permit which he may not get as he's over 60. The school wants him to work under the table because he's past 60.

Sorry just read Tywais post, on one year contract no 60 year old mandatory retirement. So work permit.

Edited by duanebigsby

A mate who's also a TV member has a WP and he's 70, not a teacher mind.

Anyone who is working needs a WP!

When I was a teacher, one of my fellow teachers had a work permit and be was in his seventies.

Perhaps not a gov't school?

Sorry just read Tywais post, on one year contract no 60 year old mandatory retirement. So work permit. And that's how the fellow teacher had one.

Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 1

As said above re the age limit. The agency simply doesn't want the hassle of processing a 'B' visa / WP / Extension & they certainly don't want to pay for it.

Even here in Bangkok, I estimate that 75% of schools use agency teachers who, more often than not, don't have a Bachelor's degree & therefore don't qualify for a WP. This is possible due to the 'whack-a-mole' visa system here which temporarily clamps down on some visas while allowing the rampant abuse of others, resulting in illegal teachers being able to work here year round, year upon year. sad.png

Some of the better agencies will get you a WP / Extension but most will not pay for it. These teachers are lucky enough not to have to deal with the Teacher's Council as their WP will be based on working in a language centre, not the K-12 school where they will actually be working. I recently interviewed with some of the more reputable Bangkok based agencies, for secondary school positions, & they basically threw my teacher's licence back at me, stating that I needed a 'different type' of licence to work with them. blink.png

Meanwhile, the requirements & costs for legal teachers spiral upward every year - post graduate education qualifications, (mostly unavailable) culture courses, degree confirmation letters, degree transcripts, notarised copies of degrees, visa conversions, medical tests, photos (of varying sizes) & associated transport costs. This is apart from the stress of it all, especially the constant worry about the next waiver. bah.gif

Agencies, illegally employing people to work in K-12 schools, continue to prosper, while wages & conditions for 'qualified' teachers worsen year on year; I wonder if there's a connection?

Edited by GanDoonToonPet