U.S. Passport Issuance Glitch

Have seen a number of items in the online news about a glitch in the issuance of U.S. passports, and visas, in the last few days.

Here's a clip from the U.S. Embassy Bangkok www site:

Delays in Overseas U.S. Passport and Visa Processing
The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with our overseas passport and visa systems. This issue is not specific to any particular country, citizenship document, or visa category. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working urgently to correct the problem and restore full operability.
Passport applications accepted overseas or after May 26, 2015 are affected by this delay. If you applied for a U.S. passport overseas during this time frame and have travel plans within the next 10 business days, please consider requesting an emergency passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at which you originally applied.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My current passport expires May 2016 so I'm due to get a new one in November 2015 to allow travel to countries that require 6 month validity, like to Laos. Was thinking of doing this in October but kind of concerned about another glitch delay so will do so as soon as the present problem is resolved. Lose 3-4 months out of the 10-year validity of the passport but better than being unable to travel at all.
Mac

I renewed mine 9 months early so I could combine the trips to Bangkok with getting my income affidavit and then one trip to immigration for do stamp transfer and extension.

Using the cost of my old passport i figured I lost $4.50.

Also don't forget you need 12 months of passport validity ( since August of 2013) to apply for your extension of stay or your extension will only be valid to the date your passport expires.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Philippines and since I'm moving to Thailand on Aug 3, I applied for a new passport via a travel agency in Angeles City on June 8, 2015.

I received my new passport yesterday at around 5PM. It was printed in the US on 19 June. 23 days for a new passport is not that bad in my book.

Also received 52 pages instead of 28.

Hmmm, perhaps I should apply for a new U.S. passport in Manila??

FYI, below an email I received from the ACS here yesterday afternoon.

Mac

Bangkok ACS
2:21 PM (12 hours ago)
to me
Mr. Thompson,
We will remove the blurb on the passport pages when the technical problem has been resolved. For now, some passport applications remain affected.
Kind Regards,
American Citizen Services │U.S. Embassy Bangkok │ 95 Wireless Road │Bangkok, Thailand 10330
Phone: 02-205-4049 (inside Thailand); +66-2-205-4049 (outside Thailand)
Fax: 02-205-4103 (inside Thailand); +66-2-205-4103 (outside Thailand)
Email: [email protected] │Website: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html │Twitter: @acsbkk
Enroll with us to receive emergency messages and information for U.S. Citizens: www.step.state.gov

https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_ip.asp

Here's what mine says even though the passport has been delivered::

U.S. Passport Application Status

Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book!

Your passport application locator number is xxxxxxxxx.

Your passport has been printed and mailed to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you applied.

Please contact the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate where you applied to confirm the passport has been received before making arrangements to pick up your passport.

Edited by TDCNINJA

Still not resolved, wonder if they're working overtime on getting the passport situation up and running.

Dummies!

Mac

----------------------

They are not saying but the storage of the database for the records was hacked.

Many data records of those who had applied or previously held a U.S. passport were compromised.

The database was maintained by a private company under contract to the Department of State

That stored database is what was hacked

The U.S. government is blaming the Chinese.

They will need to prove the security of the database to verify that some records were not changed.

It is a big problem, and it won't be fixed soon as they have to verify nothing was changed in the database and phony records were not inserted.

I myself, was lucky..... I applied May 26th for a new passport and got my new passport on 5 June 2015.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I hit the ACS this morning, turned in my paperwork and $$ for the new passport, they said wait about two weeks. Paid the baht 80 for EMSing back to me.

One item surprised me, they kept my still valid passport, which'll be renewed but cancelled, along with the new passport. So, am left without a passport for hopefully not more than a couple weeks.

Mac

Mac,

I think the 2 Weeks is Max. I got my notification email that my PP was ready to pick up approx. 8-10 days after submission, IIRC. Cant remember exact dates!

But I chose to pick up in person, so do not know how long EMS will take for you?

Approximately when did that happen (8 to 10 days)?

One item surprised me, they kept my still valid passport, which'll be renewed but cancelled, along with the new passport. So, am left without a passport for hopefully not more than a couple weeks.

I suspect that is due to your having it sent EMS as they have to cancel the old passport when giving the new one. Without the old one in their hands they can't cancel it (red stamp and hole punched) so you would have two valid passports. Otherwise, they normally will hand the old one back and do the canceling when you come and pick up the new one. You get to keep the old canceled one also.

I've had 3 or 4 done here, most recently about 8 months ago and how it works when doing it in person for pickup. BTW, it took about 7-8 days for my new one to arrive at that time.

Mac,

I think the 2 Weeks is Max. I got my notification email that my PP was ready to pick up approx. 8-10 days after submission, IIRC. Cant remember exact dates!

But I chose to pick up in person, so do not know how long EMS will take for you?

Approximately when did that happen (8 to 10 days)?

6th July is when I got notified by email. But I didn't go in to pick up until much later.

PS: Had to go back thru email trash to confirm date.