War on Thai lottery over-pricing by wholesalers now declared

webfact

War on lottery over-pricing by wholesalers now declared

16-6-2558-5-02-34-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In an effort to stamp out lottery overpricing, the Government Lottery Office (GLO) will work closely with the Revenue Department, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) and the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) to strictly enforce the law with any wholesalers found to distribute overpriced tickets.

The war on overpricing came as authorities have arrested three lottery dealers or wholesalers for overpricing lottery tickets sold to street vendors for the June 16 lottery draw.

GLO board chairman Maj-Gen Apirat Kongsompong said under the joint operation, the Revenue Department is tasked to investigate their sources of income and tax payment record

Further to this, if they are found to be guilty, then DSI will come to investigate and AMLO will be tasked to seize their assets.

Revenue Department director-general Prasong Poontanet warned lottery wholesalers to strictly abide by the rules, otherwise they will face investigation and tax payment probe.

For the three wholesalers arrested for overprice, he said they will be given the opportunity to provide detailed information on their source of income which includes finances in the savings account, property, homes, automobiles, etc.

The investigation is expected to take up several months in order to compile relevant evidence after which any other reported suspected distributors selling overpriced tickets will also be investigated.

All wholesalers have been warned that they keep to the sales procedures identified by the GLO or face criminal charges.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/war-on-lottery-over-pricing-by-wholesalers-now-declared

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-16

How come street lottery ticket sellers are dealt with immediately for overpricing, by way of large fines, but it will take several months to deal with the real villains, the wholesalers?

There's a clue in the post... read it again...

The whole lottery system is screwed up as far as distribution is concerned. Stop this bureaucracy. Its simple Start selling tickets to such outlets as BIG C and 7-11 for retailing at 80 Baht each

Guess what The street venders will soon realize they cannot get more and will fall in Line No need for all this policing and pressure and fines.

Its called MARKET FORCE and has worked for a very long time. Hey Thailand give it a try it really does work.

How come street lottery ticket sellers are dealt with immediately for overpricing, by way of large fines, but it will take several months to deal with the real villains, the wholesalers?

Because the wealthy have more political influence?

Because the wealthy can contribute more to personal retirement accounts?

Because the wholesellers have personal connections with enforcement?

Be creative.

Thailand is the Hub of Conflict of Interest afterall.

Because they (the wholesalers) are tigers.

And our current PM is an (Eastern) tiger..................coffee1.gif

Because the wealthy have more political influence?

Because the wealthy can contribute more to personal retirement accounts?

Because the wholesellers have personal connections with enforcement?

Be creative.

Thailand is the Hub of Conflict of Interest afterall.

Could that be the very reason for, that the logical solution here, an online lottery, is out of the question?

Doesn't allow for kickbacks......................

So all the big agencies going to war against the poor and disabled lottery vendors....

If only they could use this energy to go after the RTP reforms... facepalm.gif

Cos at the end of the day, even at 100THB, could buy 3 tickets if one didn't have to give the 300 THB to the officer at the corner....

Priorities anyone?

Edited by CantSpell

So all the big agencies going to war against the poor and disabled lottery vendors....

If only they could use this energy to go after the RTP reforms... facepalm.gif

Cos at the end of the day, even at 100THB, could buy 3 tickets if one didn't have to give the 300 THB to the officer at the corner....

Priorities anyone?

I was unaware that the wholesalers were poor and on top of that disabled, thank you for enlightening me.

I assume that is a rhetorical statement ;-)

Pretty sure you mean "rhetorical question," since it is a question, not a statement. Also, "rhetorical question" is the cliche normally used in such a situation. Sorry for being obnoxious. I'm a bit bored at the moment.

Good to see they have got their priorities right and they are concentrating on stamping out the scourge of overpriced lottery tickets, I will sleep better knowing they are taking this seriously now if they could only get a grip of the deckchair problem in Jomtien the world would be a better place....

There's a clue in the post... read it again...

I dislike cryptic responses like this. If you don't know, say so. I've read the article. It's talking about investigating the sources of income of the three wholesalers involved. It does not say they are being punished for "not following the rules." Is there a law against wholesalers selling the tickets at a higher price, or is it just a set of rules put out by the Government Lottery Office (GLO)? If the latter, I assume they cannot arrest or fine the three guys, but the article doesn't say so. Have they been fined? Can they be fined? The article doesn't say so. It goes rambling off about how if there's anything fishy about their bank accounts they'll also be investigated for tax compliance and possible violations of the money laundering rules (which do have supporting laws). In other words it's a lot of fluff that gives the impression something is going to be done without actually saying anything.

Pretty sure you mean "rhetorical question," since it is a question, not a statement. Also, "rhetorical question" is the cliche normally used in such a situation. Sorry for being obnoxious. I'm a bit bored at the moment.

The mistake was in ending with a question mark, otherwise it would have been a rhetorical statement. I'm also bored :)

Now get this right the GLO will give it to the DSI who will give it to the AMLO who will give it to the ???? mmmm coffee1.gif

And then you do the Hokey Cokey and you turn around

That's what its all about....

biggrin.png

Edited by mrfill

The mistake was in ending with a question mark, otherwise it would have been a rhetorical statement. I'm also bored smile.png

Well, no, the construction "How come ..." is indicative of a question. Not that the fate of Western Civilization hinges on this. biggrin.png