Anyone Have Unwanted Original XP CDs?

scooterboy

Perhaps a slightly unusual request - maybe a member can help out. smile.png

I'm looking for an original Windows XP Installation Disk (SP2 or SP3). I know that many members have completely left the XP world and have gone on to other (maybe better) systems (Vista, 7, 8 - and soon 10).

I'm wondering if you still have an unwanted XP installation disk lying around, that I could perhaps benefit from? I'm obliged to keep a pc alive with XP on it, as some of my music progs can only be used on XP - not on other systems. I don't have an original Windows CD - my pc came with XP already on it (way back then). Just recently I had a problem with the pc - but was lucky to find a repair shop that could fix it - this time. However, I'm quite aware that a sudden missing system file could make life very difficult all of a sudden.

I've asked around in the local area, but the shops and stores here don't carry "original" CDs - and certainly nothing as old as XP.

I can only boot from a CD - USB is not an option.

Anyone ?

Thanks for any help - and cheers biggrin.png

Which version exactly?

Download, save and run this file as Adminstrator: OEM BIOS on the PC.
To run a file as Administrator in XP, you need to;

Locate the program you want to start..
Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you right-click the program icon, and then click Run as.
Click Run the program as the following user, and then type the user name, password, and domain of the administrator account that you want to use.

You will see a screen like this: OEMBIOS_HP.png

Report back as to what is written in the line that starts with F: as above

I think most of us that still have XP , have the OEM version on DVD that the laptop maker has provided us when we bought it. The OEM version slightly differs from a orriginal microsoft dvd and is for your own make of PC.

Nothing wrong with a non "orriginal" version , and they may still sell them at Panthip ,....

There are also versions still available on torrent sites.

But if your OS works fine now , make an image of it on an external drive , or at least a backup so you can change corrupted files.

That's it. Make an image of the drive. Be sure to make the rescue disk/boot disk (DVD) from the imaging program. The free version of Macrium Reflect would make the image and do the rescuing to a new HDD. Just be sure you don't save the image on the current physical hard disk.

Edited by NeverSure

Oops, sorry, guys - it's 32-bit XP version. I have 2 PCs at the moment - one running XP SP2 and the other running XP Sp3.

A torrent is the easiest solution, eh? Sounds very interesting - I'll look into that and that'll perhaps save me from bothering you guys too much.

Many thanks for the good advice.

PS - Slightly surprised to hear that most of you still have XP. I seem to be the only one using it in these parts....wink.png

Oops, sorry, guys - it's 32-bit XP version. I have 2 PCs at the moment - one running XP SP2 and the other running XP Sp3.

A torrent is the easiest solution, eh? Sounds very interesting - I'll look into that and that'll perhaps save me from bothering you guys too much.

PS - Slightly surprised to hear that most of you still have XP. I seem to be the only one using it in these parts....wink.png

No bother. It's nice to hear from another XP user. You'd be surprised how many there still are.

I have XP media version SP2 32 bit. But I hold on tight to my OEM dvd , in case of HDD failure , I prefer a clean (re)-install over an image , although it's a lot more work & time even with only the updates I want , and have on an external drive.

in case of HDD failure , I prefer a clean (re)-install over an image , although it's a lot more work & time even with only the updates I want , and have on an external drive.

Why don't you make an image right after a clean install and all setup work including updates, drivers, settings and other programs? Every time you used that image it would be another clean install on that same computer. Who uses an install disk more than once and goes through all of that detail when the completed install can be imaged in 20 minutes?

No bother. It's nice to hear from another XP user. You'd be surprised how many there still are.

I have XP media version SP2 32 bit. But I hold on tight to my OEM dvd , in case of HDD failure , I prefer a clean (re)-install over an image , although it's a lot more work & time even with only the updates I want , and have on an external drive.

Yes, agreed. I also think that an OEM CD would be the best in the end, but the other alternatives mentioned here seem very good as well, especially making an image - which I think I'll try - just for the experience, if nothing else. Hopefully, it won't be needed, but you never know .....thumbsup.gif

in case of HDD failure , I prefer a clean (re)-install over an image , although it's a lot more work & time even with only the updates I want , and have on an external drive.

Why don't you make an image right after a clean install and all setup work including updates, drivers, settings and other programs? Every time you used that image it would be another clean install on that same computer. Who uses an install disk more than once and goes through all of that detail when the completed install can be imaged in 20 minutes?

In 9 years of XP , I never needed to re-install so all I had was a backup to compare . Images are good for people that often need to re-install. Only when I put in a new (bigger) HDD , I have to re-install and prefer a clean one from the OEM dvd. I don't trust image software 100 % . And drivers have updates , some MS updates that would be in an image , I don't want anymore ,....The time consuming work is not the re-install & updates , but all the other programs with their settings/prefs/options. I would not want an image with other than the OS because I want to change /delete or update some of the other programs , and unstall ALWAYS leaves sh1t behind in the register.

The product code you have for activating must match the version of the CD in order to install.

OEM dvd don't always need an activating code. Manufacterers modify the OS slightly . I've never had to use the code or needed activating.

In 9 years of XP , I never needed to re-install so all I had was a backup to compare . Images are good for people that often need to re-install. Only when I put in a new (bigger) HDD , I have to re-install and prefer a clean one from the OEM dvd. I don't trust image software 100 % . And drivers have updates , some MS updates that would be in an image , I don't want anymore ,....The time consuming work is not the re-install & updates , but all the other programs with their settings/prefs/options. I would not want an image with other than the OS because I want to change /delete or update some of the other programs , and unstall ALWAYS leaves sh1t behind in the register.

An image is a clean install if it's an image of a clean install.

Every computer you could buy from a known manufacturer that has a licensed copy of Windows on it was imaged. We don't think that Dell or HP has someone install Windows on each new computer? They push an image from the server to lots of new computers all at the same time.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't trust an image when countless millions of new computers are imaged. When replacing a dead HDD or upgrading a HDD, it's simply the fastest and easiest way to do it.

Oh well...

If (when) I buy a new computer, it will hopefully be with Windows 10, which sounds like a very good platform - as it's said that MS have (at long last) taken the trouble to listen to users' wants and needs. tongue.png

However, I won't be buying this year - and will wait for the initial 'dust' to settle.

In the meantime, I seem to have finally aquired an XP disk that I can possibly use, not a real OEM, of course.....rolleyes.gif

Cheers

If (when) I buy a new computer, it will hopefully be with Windows 10, which sounds like a very good platform - as it's said that MS have (at long last) taken the trouble to listen to users' wants and needs. tongue.png

However, I won't be buying this year - and will wait for the initial 'dust' to settle.

In the meantime, I seem to have finally aquired an XP disk that I can possibly use, not a real OEM, of course.....rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Not particularly intelligent when you have the opportunity to get the real thing....

Cheers

there is also the new generation of intel chips coming which may use less electric and have a new chipset. As well the SSDs are also getting cheaper every day.

Well, when there's a new OS around, I've never jumped on the "intelligent" bandwagon and hastened to buy and install. Had too many friends get real big problems with their fantastic new OS, while I was still happily chugging away on my XP. Vista was something of a disaster, yet many bought it almost as soon as it came out. Windows 7 had a lot of problems at first - though later it turned out to be a pretty good system, I guess. Windows 8 I don't know anything much about, but it sure ain't been around a long time and now Windows 10 is already on the way.

Nope, "the real thing" is worth waiting for - and preferably after it's been used for a while and (m)any problems have been ironed out. XP has been around for a long, long time - it's stable and it works - and I see no reason to part with it (yet). biggrin.png

You do know that windows 8 has the ability to virtualise an environment as xp so xp program's will still run just fine. Have you investigated if the software works when launched under xp compatibility modes.

Also just download it from your MSDN subscription. I assume you have one, and not if it's not listed you will need to contact your rep to get the necessary changes made to your account but it should likely be there.

Edited by jcisco

I have three puters at home, XP is the best/fastest OS of the of them all.. And never believe what you read about XP not being serviced anymore. I have the ticket, it's a registry tweak that will send a false message to MS and alow you to update your XP until 2017. I applied it, nothing! Then the next day 144 securtiy and other updates where ready to download. Since then I've downloaded about 80 more. PM me with a check for 120usd and it's yours. biggrin.png

I have three puters at home, XP is the best/fastest OS of the of them all.. And never believe what you read about XP not being serviced anymore. I have the ticket, it's a registry tweak that will send a false message to MS and alow you to update your XP until 2017. I applied it, nothing! Then the next day 144 securtiy and other updates where ready to download. Since then I've downloaded about 80 more. PM me with a check for 120usd and it's yours. biggrin.png

That's not particularly funny.

In fact it's 2019. Here