Facebook clip emerges of fatal truck crash on Pattaya Highway 36

webfact

Facebook clip emerges of fatal truck crash on Pattaya Highway 36

crash-51.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Tuesday a video clip was posted on a popular Thai Facebook Page which appeared to show dashcam footage of a fatal truck crash which occurred on Highway 36 on 13th June.

The crash was not reported on by local journalists who only knew about the crash on Tuesday. The video clip appears to have been recorded just before 6.30am on 13th June and shows an 18-wheel truck jackknifing due to the poor road conditions at the time caused by heavy and sustained rainfall. The truck was also suspected of being driven too fast considering the adverse weather conditions.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/200397/facebook-clip-emerges-of-fatal-truck-crash-on-pattaya-highway-36/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-06-17

Typical Thai driving, foot down hard no matter the conditions. Gotta love the compassion showed by those that simply slowed down until the road was clear and then continued on their merry way. (deleted)

Edited by petercool
religious slur

That no one appeared to stop to help for such a horrific accident is beyond disturbing.

Just for the record. In 2007, as I was drive up Rama III in the Klong Toey direction, I saw a car clip a motorcycle taxi, causing it to hit the curb on the side of the road

and flip over a few times. The car,as per usual, just drove off. Anyways, I stopped,as did a few more folks,all Thai except for me, to try and help the poor bloke who was lying facedown and motionless, but aside from making sure he was breathing, there wasn't much to do until the ambulance pick-up thingy arrived. A cop showed up about 10 minutes after the crash, and almost immediately accused me of being the culprit. All my explanations were in vain, and he was adamant that I had caused the crash and injured the bike rider. It was only through the persistent interruptions by the other Thai folks that the <deleted> finally stopped his groundless accusations. I hate to think what would have happened to me if there were no other witnesses to the accident and the taxi driver had died. After that I will never,ever stop to help at a traffic accident in Thailand again.

Very similar, about 3 weeks ago driving S/E on 36 around dusk in rain, I saw a truck do the same thing on the other side, the truck came towards me thru the gully, but stopped before it made it out on to my side. I flashed my lights for the next few kms trying to warn others.

Scary to see something coming towards you like that

My car cam had stopped working so it didnt capture the crash.

A reminder to make sure it does work, mine needed the card to be re-formatted.

That no one appeared to stop to help for such a horrific accident is beyond disturbing.

Just for the record. In 2007, as I was drive up Rama III in the Klong Toey direction, I saw a car clip a motorcycle taxi, causing it to hit the curb on the side of the road

and flip over a few times. The car,as per usual, just drove off. Anyways, I stopped,as did a few more folks,all Thai except for me, to try and help the poor bloke who was lying facedown and motionless, but aside from making sure he was breathing, there wasn't much to do until the ambulance pick-up thingy arrived. A cop showed up about 10 minutes after the crash, and almost immediately accused me of being the culprit. All my explanations were in vain, and he was adamant that I had caused the crash and injured the bike rider. It was only through the persistent interruptions by the other Thai folks that the <deleted> finally stopped his groundless accusations. I hate to think what would have happened to me if there were no other witnesses to the accident and the taxi driver had died. After that I will never,ever stop to help at a traffic accident in Thailand again.

Absolutely sad, this is not the first time I've heard something like this.

(deleted)

Edited by petercool
edited profane sentence

This is why people rarely stop, Thais included! Noone to blame = no insurance claims.

Cause of accident:

''The video clip appears to have been recorded just before 6.30am on 13th June and shows an 18-wheel truck jackknifing due to the poor road conditions at the time caused by heavy and sustained rainfall.''

Nope.

Cause of accident:

Driver.

That happened to my father in law after offering a ride to the hospital to a father and son involved in a hit and run. The son kept on telling the police my father in law was helping but the police kept asking for money. My father in law finally drove away from the check stop and took them to the hospital. Father in law is Thai.

Worked for a few years in Northern Malaysia in the early 90's. Was one of the initial expats on a large construction project.

We were visited by local transport department officers who gave us a talk on licence and driving related issues. They strongly advised that, in the event of an accident, if at all possible, we should head directly to the nearest police station and let them deal with the situation. Further, if we happened to come across an accident for which we had no involvement, on no account stop and attempt to assist. They stated there had been cases of such 'do-gooders' being seriously injured by locals thinking they had caused the accident.

All those advocating stopping and assisting when they come across an accident need to be fully aware of the attached risks. It may go against most people's better judgment not to help, but personal safety should always be paramount.

Typical Thai driving, foot down hard no matter the conditions. Gotta love the compassion showed by those that simply slowed down until the road was clear and then continued on their merry way. (deleted)

Unfortunately it's not just Thailand, too many idiots drive 'with foot down hard no matter what the conditions' in England, I'm a truck driver and I see it everyday.

Must admit as an ex heavy goods driver I could not see why he lost it......The ride did not jackknife, the tractor unit suddenly veered. Yes it was wet but we all drove in those conditions.

About 24 seconds in, it looks like something flew to the right of the trailer just before the trailer itself swings to the right, maybe shred a tyre, not easy to make out, might have been roadside dirt flicked up by the unit.

Does not appear to be driving very fast, the ranger driver did not exactly have to stand on the brakes too hard.

Edited by LennyW

After that I will never,ever stop to help at a traffic accident in Thailand again.

That was pretty well the first piece of advice I was given by long term ex-pats when I first arrived here in 2004. And I never have. Just get out of the way and let them sort it out.

Sounds heartless, but then so are many Thais, as we've seen in that clip. In the UK, everyone would be trying to help.

Pity police do no have tag numbers displayed...

That sort of behaviour needs reporting.

just the other night saw a TV documentary, "Traffic Cops", filmed from a police car racing to the scene, Pedestrian injured on motorway, turned out a car had over turned, a driver passing pulled up after the incident got out of her car and was walking back to give assistance, and was hit by a truck who had to take avoiding action to avoid the overturned car.

I recall the last time I witnessed a road traffic accident, it was a 3 lane dual carriageway with hard shoulder, I pulled right off the road on to the grass leaving the hard shoulder clear, even during daylight in good weather some drivers are not paying attention and when they take avoiding action the go all over the road.

What was wrong here was the person with the dash cam did not offer it (footage) to the police, someone died here and it is important that cause of the crash should be established to no one else was to blame.

I am all for surveillance cameras, including dash cams, but also want to see control on how any "footage" is used.

Edited by Basil B

A dashcam should be the norm for residents in 2015, along with a spare SD card and a pin for the reset button permanently in the car.

Cam and spare sd card should be enough. I've had a cam for years here.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago, but it was the Thai folks who surrounded me and were accusing me.

Lucky for me, the motorbike rider (bless him) was conscious and told the "lynch mob" that he had hit a pothole in the road and I had only stopped to help.

I was a police officer for 30 years and I have been in more than a few scary situations, this was among the scariest.

Will I ever stop to help again? I hope so, but I really don't know.

A dashcam should be the norm for residents in 2015, along with a spare SD card and a pin for the reset button permanently in the car.

Can you kindly explain this a little more for a resident without a dashcam , but who wishes to get one !

What sort and buy where etc ??? (Pattaya )

Thank you

Can you kindly explain this a little more for a resident without a dashcam , but who wishes to get one !

What sort and buy where etc ??? (Pattaya )

Thank you

See seperate thread in the motoring forum or order one from lazada who sponsor this site.

HTH

Cam and spare sd card should be enough. I've had a cam for years here.

How do you plan on resetting it without losing critical files if it ever malfuntions? I had to 'borrow' a thumb-tack from a supermarket noticeboard when it happened to me. I still have it 3 years later as explained.

A paperclip will do as a rule of thumb.

Edited by evadgib

Don't really follow. If the cam malfunctions, the SD card will retain all your files up to the point of the malfunction. If the card malfunctions you remove it and recover what you can. Yes you may need to reset the cam during a trip if it has a problem, but I don't see how that affects files already recorded. Perhaps I'm not getting your point.

Don't really follow. If the cam malfunctions, the SD card will retain all your files up to the point of the malfunction. If the card malfunctions you remove it and recover what you can. Yes you may need to reset the cam during a trip if it has a problem, but I don't see how that affects files already recorded. Perhaps I'm not getting your point.

Most have memory lock button, you stop and hit that before you turn off the power.

but as a friend found out recently, sometimes you need to re-format the card as they get "clogged up" and will not overwrite old videos files.

In this case he was in a crash and the cam had stopped about 1 hr before, which has cost him money, time and grief for something that was not his fault,

and which the cam would have been great help.

Mine did something similar, so just a warning for anyone, re-format