Those needing U.S. banking while living in Thailand ... be paranoid before you leave

I use Bank of America. Have been in Thailand for 7 years straight without issue. Went paperless and changed address from my old residence to my brothers residence, received new debit card in Thailand, updated phone numbers online to brothers #, etc etc... Never a problem, most everything can be done online without a phone call.

I think the point is: if you have to pretend you still live in the country that you have left, then this is the very definition of a problem.

I thought I had prepared very well for permanent life abroad, but in the past six years or so I have had 1. a notification that my UK based credit card will be cancelled because I didn't have a UK address ( solved by pretending I had moved back there and giving a relative's address- many people would not have this option); 2. a notification from Fidelity that I will not be allowed to make any mutual fund trades in my retirement account (IRA) because I have a foreign address (more difficult to manage an equities to bonds rebalancing as you near retirement age without this facility!) and 3. closure of a UK brokerage account and share certificates being sent to me in the mail, because an apparently stable broker (ETrade UK) simply closed their UK business, leaving me with the problem of opening a new trading account in the UK from outside. This was possible, but worrying while it was going on and a huge hassle

It is certainly possible to avoid some or all of these things by pretending you live in a country that you no longer have any contact with, but this is a procedure that is not open to all, and can be a problem to sustain if you have no firm links to that country.

The OP is a good reminder that things that you rely on can change, without warning, so have a lot of back-up strategies in place.

I too am continually trying to anticipate what the next problem will be, so I can pre-empt it. I'm sure it will be US related!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Bank of America. Have been in Thailand for 7 years straight without issue. Went paperless and changed address from my old residence to my brothers residence, received new debit card in Thailand, updated phone numbers online to brothers #, etc etc... Never a problem, most everything can be done online without a phone call.

About ten years ago, Bank of America policy changed due to the requirements of the Patriot Act and I found myself in Thailand with a frozen account and unusable plastic unless I presented myself "with acceptable ID in person" at the nearest branch. I managed to get things working again after a couple of teleconference calls alongside the staff at the (then) Bank of America office on Nai Lert. They weren't part of the banks personal or retail banking structure at all but luckily enough they still shared a common security platform that enabled this. I remain indebted to the staff at BofA Bangkok who were totally mesmerized by the whole affair since I was asking them to do something that wasn't in their remit on behalf of their US personal banking operations.

About 5 years ago, I decided to open a new UK bank account after over 30 years of onshore UK banking inactivity and living overseas. It was only enabled by having proof of a long-standing and current offshore UK bank account, otherwise I would have been out of luck as primary provenance of ones bona fides includes income tax receipts, utility bills, pay slips and other impossibilities. Last year, I decided to update my address information with the offshore bank. This opened a can of worms due to a recent internal restructuring of the banks policies that mandated due diligence on all pre-existing accounts. I had to basically prove who I was with rather specific requirements on what they considered as acceptable proof and who could attest to it without my returning to the UK personally.

I think the main point is not only maintaining whatever banking you already have in your home country in case of changing circumstances but keeping current with all the changes that various acts of legislation require, both local and international. If the bank mails or emails the revised terms and conditions, take some time to read them to avoid unpleasant surprises.

For folks in the US, I recommend opening a box at a UPS store. It gives you a physical street address (not a PO box number) and you can set it up to have your mail forwarded whenever you like. You can also contact them if you are expecting a check or a credit card and have them send that to you immediately. I get the forwarded mail in about 5 - 10 business days. I also have packages (like things I order from Amazon) sent to that address and then forwarded to me. It's generally easier to do it that way than to have the company try to get it to me here. My US driver's license has the same address so that I'm able to prove the address if I need to.

The box lets me keep a US address for all of my regular mail to go to. Also, I set up travel notifications on all of my credit and debit cards each year to say that it's ok for charges to come from Thailand during that time. That way, they have my US address as my official address, but they are aware that I'll be using the cards in Thailand.

I have an account with one of the largest banks in the U.S. And have a U.S. Passport. I sold property in the U.S. last year and wanted to send some of the money to my EU account where I am a resident.

Long story shorter, it took 4 weeks from the time I requested the transfer until the time I received the money, and required a flight to the embassy to get the transfer form notarized before I could even make the request .

Two weeks after I sent it they put me on a 3-way recorded calI verifying my information and confining the transfer. The excuse, eerm, reason was to have a record of the "fees and exchange rate".

I can only imagine what kind of hell I'd go through to try to send my own frickin money to my Thai bank.

My advice is go to your U.S. bank(s) in person and set up transfer request paperwork in advance. It might save a week of the 4 week wait.

For folks in the US, I recommend opening a box at a UPS store. It gives you a physical street address (not a PO box number) and you can set it up to have your mail forwarded whenever you like. You can also contact them if you are expecting a check or a credit card and have them send that to you immediately. I get the forwarded mail in about 5 - 10 business days. I also have packages (like things I order from Amazon) sent to that address and then forwarded to me. It's generally easier to do it that way than to have the company try to get it to me here. My US driver's license has the same address so that I'm able to prove the address if I need to.

The box lets me keep a US address for all of my regular mail to go to. Also, I set up travel notifications on all of my credit and debit cards each year to say that it's ok for charges to come from Thailand during that time. That way, they have my US address as my official address, but they are aware that I'll be using the cards in Thailand.

There are lots of mail forwarding/receiving services in the U.S. that provide non-Post Office Box addresses that can be used to receive packages and such -- unlike traditional Post Office boxes.

But, I suspect having a UPS Store address vs. the one I have now with a different mail forwarder would have made no difference in the couple of new bank account denials I've experienced. Because the UPS Store address likely would be just as much a commercial address (as opposed to residential) as the service I currently use. And in both cases, the U.S. financial institution would have looked at that and said... prove you live there via utility bill or something similar. I too have a matching address DL, but that wouldn't have satisfied the banks involved.

For years I had an account with "NETBANK" which was a great bank back then, bc it was built to run on the internet. Then they just went belly up. I got mailed a check for the money I had in there. So I had no u.s. bank account for several years. Then my dad died and left me some money. Bank of America was handling the probate. The lady agreed to open me a checking account with my Dad's money. I had to log in from "virginia" and my zipcode was 00000, which caused some minor problems. Then in the Philippines I had to get a replacement ATM card. To do that I had to change my address to the P.I. which was easy. But to change the address back to a U.S. address was impossible without an in person visit to a branch.

I've used b.o.a. transfers to bangkok bank n.y. with no problems,

But now I have an account at coinbase. If I need money here, I buy bitcoins from coinbase ( auto withdrawal from b.o.a,; a 1% fee.; 3 days) Coinbase to local bit coins (0 fee, instantaneous). Sell on localbitcoins for baht ( 1% fee, seller deposits into thai bank account). No foreign exchange rates at any point.

If you are transferring social security funds, you can open an account with US Direct Express which is on the social security website. You can also open an account with the bank that manages the account. Now you can transfer funds to Bangkok Bank in NY for $1.50..

Bangkok Bank of NY will then charge you $5 to accept transferred funds. Plus if you then 'forward' that money to a local Bangkok Bank (Pattaya) they will charge you again.

There are lots of mail forwarding/receiving services in the U.S. that provide non-Post Office Box addresses that can be used to receive packages and such -- unlike traditional Post Office boxes.

But, I suspect having a UPS Store address vs. the one I have now with a different mail forwarder would have made no difference in the couple of new bank account denials I've experienced. Because the UPS Store address likely would be just as much a commercial address (as opposed to residential) as the service I currently use. And in both cases, the U.S. financial institution would have looked at that and said... prove you live there via utility bill or something similar. I too have a matching address DL, but that wouldn't have satisfied the banks involved.

In my case, the address looks like this:

123 Anywhere St

Anytown, TX 54321

So, basically, it looks like an apartment address. I can see where one that looks more corporate would be a problem, though. I talked to both my main bank and my credit card banks before I came over and they said this was the easiest way. As long as I had a presence in the states, they were satisfied. Your mileage may vary, of course.

fyi, my mail forwarding address is in exactly the same form as yours, and it looks like we might even be using the same service.

It's not the format of the address that caused a problem for the U.S. banks. It was the fact that the address in question somehow surfaces in their verification systems as a "commercial" address, which is what you'd expect for a mail forwarding business address/location, instead of a traditional residential designation address.

What kind of system the banks are using to differentiate between commercial vs residential addresses, I have no idea. But I have seen the residential vs. commercial designation show up attached to address references on my credit reports in the past.

Also, as I mentioned above, this was NOT a problem for handling mail for existing/ongoing bank accounts. But it has been a problem SOMETIMES, but certainly not always, when you go to apply for a NEW account using a mail forwarding service address as your address.

I really am having problems now with my US banking. I did not make up any of this. Yes I would have set things up differently if I knew then what I know now but don't get a redo.

I probably should have said this all is critical to me because I need the bank method for retirement extensions here.

Also note if you need to redo an in branch wiring agreement in the US a passport ID won't work. It would need to be a state license. Not always easy for those out of the US for many years.

The longer you're out of the US more time for things to go wrong or changed policies in the US.

Believe it or not.

Edited by Jingthing

fyi, my mail forwarding address is in exactly the same form as yours, and it looks like we might even be using the same service.

It's not the format of the address that caused a problem for the U.S. banks. It was the fact that the address in question somehow surfaces in their verification systems as a "commercial" address, which is what you'd expect for a mail forwarding business address/location, instead of a traditional residential designation address.

What kind of system the banks are using to differentiate between commercial vs residential addresses, I have no idea. But I have seen the residential vs. commercial designation show up attached to address references on my credit reports in the past.

Also, as I mentioned above, this was NOT a problem for handling mail for existing/ongoing bank accounts. But it has been a problem SOMETIMES, but certainly not always, when you go to apply for a NEW account using a mail forwarding service address as your address.

Doesn't look very reliable to me.

I have no idea why you'd say that or what you mean...

I've been using this mail forwarding service for years, without any problems. In fact, they've been exceptionally reliable, sending monthly envelopes of all my U.S. paper mail each month via USPS Flat Rate international -- and never yet had any of them go lost or tampered with.

But that's a separate issue from the issue I was posting about, and that's the kind of verification checks that U.S. banks do when you go to open a new account, and they are required by federal law to "know" the details of the customer they're dealing with, including their residence address.

I really am having problems now with my US banking. I did not make up any of this. Yes I would have set things up differently if I knew then what I know now but don't get a redo.

I probably should have said this all is critical to me because I need the bank method for retirement extensions here.

Also note if you need to redo an in branch wiring agreement in the US a passport ID won't work. It would need to be a state license. Not always easy for those out of the US for many years.

The longer you're out of the US more time for things to go wrong or changed policies in the US.

Believe it or not.

Jing, maybe I've missed it somewhere, but have you explained anywhere here why the pretty simple any U.S. bank ACH to BKK Bank NY to BKK Bank Thailand route isn't a viable option for you? It works pretty well for most U.S. folks here, myself included.

If you are transferring social security funds, you can open an account with US Direct Express which is on the social security website. You can also open an account with the bank that manages the account. Now you can transfer funds to Bangkok Bank in NY for $1.50..

Bangkok Bank of NY will then charge you $5 to accept transferred funds. Plus if you then 'forward' that money to a local Bangkok Bank (Pattaya) they will charge you again.

Actually, the fee charged by BKK Bank New York for their handling is on a sliding scale, depending on the amount sent. That's the first fee.

Then, on the Thailand end, your local BKK Bank branch also charges a fee for receiving an incoming international funds transfer, usually in the amount of 0.25% of your deposit, minimum 200 baht and maximum 500 baht.

But the good news is, usually, the combination of those two relatively small BKKB fees is usually LOWER than what most people would typically pay for a U.S-originated international wire transfer. Depending on the bank, the sending fees for those in the U.S. range from $35 to $50 or more, and then you're still going to be paying the 0.25% (min 200, max 500) on the receiving Thai bank's end of things.

Because the Thai bank account I started using for my retirement extensions isn't BB! I don't think that method even existed when I started here.

I never said it doesn't work. I use it.

Well, it seems the source of your angst in the OP was centered around the hassles and hoops that various U.S. banks make their customers go thru when they want to initiate an international wire transfer. And I agree, I've run into those and seen what some of them require. It's pretty ridiculous.

I guess, if it were me, I'd not worry about doing traditional international wire transfers at all, especially considering the grief they're giving you.

Just use the BKK Bank route to handle all my U.S. to Thailand transfers, and then once the funds arrive in in Thailand, move the money from BKK Bank to whatever Thai bank you have your account/relationship with. They're all pretty well set up to handle online Thai bank to bank transfers these days, either same day or next business day depending on how small you want their fee to be... maybe $1 or so.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

When I was working in a bank we had to attend courses (and pass tests) like "Know your customer" and "Compliance" (with Anti Money Laundering regulations) at least once a year. Surveillance got tighter and tighter every year, so did the definition of what should be suspected to be "Money Laundering". If you're considered a suspect, banks are obliged to report you, and they are prohibited to tell you.

I don't think it's much less restrictive in the USA than in Germany.

Social security transfer my monies monthly direct to my Bangkok bank account, which I set up with their head office in Silom. I have a private pension that will not pay it out of the country. This is now paid into Bangkok bank in New York and immediately transferred to Thailand.. This again was set up for me in their head office in Silom.

Seems to me your pulling teeth with cotton wool.

• 3 weeks later...

I have annual issues with funding my account for annual retirement extensions and also considering the funds must be SEASONED for three months before the application date. So each year this is some stress to make this deadline.

But this year, the stress level went up a lot.

My usual bank didn't work out for SWIFT as I explained before, either they didn't mail a new two year password or it got lost in the mail. They wouldn't send a new one and insisted I go into the USA branch and sign a new agreement. No dice there.

So then I had to look at my backups.

Well one of my backups gave me a massive hassle the last time I did an online SWIFT transfer when I logged on it's clear they don't like me as they wouldn't even let me view my bank link details without going through a phone call security protocol.

So transferring money in there from another U.S. bank would have been quite risky if they just block the account with a lot of money in it.

So that's a last resort.

I'll try to patch things up with that bank later, probably worth keeping as unusually they have an ONLINE SWIFT capability.

I looked into ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank but found some interesting problems with too. I was limited to 2000 per transaction and 10000 per month total ... which would have cut it really close as far as my immigration requirements.

So the best bet seemed a SWIFT wire on another account that requires the details be mailed or faxed.

I faxed it from a VOIP U.S. phone number ... and success.

A lot of the drama was too much procrastination ... I waited too long this year and didn't have much time space for things to go wrong and that one thing did go wrong.

Anyway, the moral of the story as from the OP, new expats do the best you can to consider these future issues (and future problems) BEFORE you leave the U.S. and also if you can manage it, have at least ONE backup account in the U.S. to use in case you need it. Personally I am happy I have multiple backups ... that's up to you.

Edited by Jingthing

Look into other money transfer options like We Transfer, Transferwise, Moneygram, Payoneer, a Paypal account there and here. All these options have requirements that you need to fulfill like copies of bank statements, proofs of address, utility bills etc. and take time. Most costs are similar to bank transfer fees.

U.S. banks are a huge pain in the ass to work with. I sold property in the U.S. and tried for months to get some money sent to Europe and it went at glacial speeds and used prehistoric banking methods for the transfers, see my tribute page I made after my experience. www.f****wellsfargo.com

It was so slow and complicated it was easier to fly to the U.S. from Thailand with an empty briefcase and return with cash and a copy of the property sales documents for the nosy feds.

I do not understand the $2000 and $10000 limits you mentioned. I see nothing that states there is such a limit for the ACH transfers into your Bangkok Bank account on their website.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

The limits are from my U.S. account!

I did locate a policy page and that's even more bizarre. They make it clear they can change the limits anytime they like for whatever reason they like.

They don't suggest contacting them to raise the limits.

I decided not to contact them because I didn't want to red flag my situation which is basically about sending money to Thailand.

It gets even weirder.

Years ago I used them and the first transfer allowed was 2K. Then I tried a higher transfer later and that was allowed.

Using them again this year, the first transfer only 2K. Then later a higher amount allowed but I didn't need much more then.

There is nothing on the transfer page on raising the MONTHLY limit though!

What I hate about their system is for example you really need 10K in a month that means lots of transfers in a short time which seems to me could be viewed more suspiciously than one large transfer.

I mentioned this before and apparently a number of U.S. banks put limits on these ACH to Bangkok Bank transfers.

Look into other money transfer options like We Transfer, Transferwise, Moneygram, Payoneer, a Paypal account there and here. All these options have requirements that you need to fulfill like copies of bank statements, proofs of address, utility bills etc. and take time. Most costs are similar to bank transfer fees.

U.S. banks are a huge pain in the ass to work with. I sold property in the U.S. and tried for months to get some money sent to Europe and it went at glacial speeds and used prehistoric banking methods for the transfers, see my tribute page I made after my experience. www.f****wellsfargo.com

It was so slow and complicated it was easier to fly to the U.S. from Thailand with an empty briefcase and return with cash and a copy of the property sales documents for the nosy feds.

Wells Fargo, huh?

That's not surprising.

I'm not going into details about this but I would go so far as the specifically suggest that expats AVOID dealing with Wells Fargo.

I used to bank with them.

Two times.

Never again.

Not a fan of Bank of America either.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm a member of Navy Federal credit union in the U.S. and asked them if they can do ACH transfers to Bangkok bank.

The answer I got was ambiguous - meaning I don't think the person I talked to really knew (nor did the manager).

They're official policy is the only do ACH transfers to U.S. banks.

I then told her that Bangkok bank has a New York physical address and would that make any difference.

Basically, the only straight answer I got was that they'll do a wire transfer (over the phone) to Bangkok bank.

Does anyone out there use NFCU and has anyone done an ACH transfer with NFCU (Navy Federal credit union)?

Thanks

I'm a member of Navy Federal credit union in the U.S. and asked them if they can do ACH transfers to Bangkok bank.

The answer I got was ambiguous - meaning I don't think the person I talked to really knew (nor did the manager).

I then told her that Bangkok bank has a New York physical address and would that make any difference.

Basically, the only straight answer I got was that they'll do a wire transfer (over the phone) to Bangkok bank.

Does anyone out there use NFCU and has anyone done an ACH transfer with NFCU (Navy Federal credit union)?

Thanks

While I do not use NFCU, I use another military based credit union and transfer money to the New York branch of Bangkok branch with no problem.

Thanks

The key is don't ask, just do it online with NFCU. You will have to have a Bangkok Bank account obviously.

Not an NFCU member, but they probably have a page for setting up accounts for ACH transfers. Once you are there, use the routing number for the Bangkok Bank New York branch. It's a legit ACH routing number and the computer doesn't care. Likely NFCU will make two transfers of less than a dollar to Bangkok Bank and you will have to get those amounts from the Thailand branch of Bangkok Bank where you opened your account and report them back online to NFCU. You have to get the amounts in USD which can be a real challenge over the phone so you should probably do this while you are in Thailand and can visit your Bangkok Bank branch in person

The Bangkok Bank website gives a national phone number for checking the deposit amounts. That did not reflect ground truth in March as the person who answered that number told me I would have to call the branch where I opened my account.

Edited by nkped

Wells Fargo, huh?

That's not surprising.

I'm not going into details about this but I would go so far as the specifically suggest that expats AVOID dealing with Wells Fargo.

I used to bank with them.

Two times.

Never again.

Not a fan of Bank of America either.

There are wrinkles on transfers. I'm more or less stuck doing some banking with Wells Fargo. If I tell Wells Fargo to do a transfer to USAA, there is a fee. If I tell USAA to do a transfer from Wells Fargo, no fee.

Thanks

I'm NFCU but haven't tried linking to Bangkok Bank because they indicate transfers are only checking to checking, and my LOS accounts are savings. There was also an annoying transfer limit of some kind, I forget now what it was. I asked to raise the limit and they said no.

FWIW and with some exception, I no longer use NFCU as my main banking/credit org, but still maintain all the accounts and cards. As part of my pre-move details to LOS, certain member(s) of this forum pointed me toward Charles Scwhab for banking, and among a few suggestions, I landed with Capital 1 for credit and back up bank accounts with debit/ATM cards. Apart from both these orgs being too sensitive to overseas status, glad I made the changes.

Thanks

The key is don't ask, just do it online with NFCU. You will have to have a Bangkok Bank account obviously.

Not an NFCU member, but they probably have a page for setting up accounts for ACH transfers. Once you are there, use the routing number for the Bangkok Bank New York branch. It's a legit ACH routing number and the computer doesn't care. Likely NFCU will make two transfers of less than a dollar to Bangkok Bank and you will have to get those amounts from the Thailand branch of Bangkok Bank where you opened your account and report them back online to NFCU. You have to get the amounts in USD which can be a real challenge over the phone so you should probably do this while you are in Thailand and can visit your Bangkok Bank branch in person

The Bangkok Bank website gives a national phone number for checking the deposit amounts. That did not reflect ground truth in March as the person who answered that number told me I would have to call the branch where I opened my account.

I am an NFCU member, and explored all this with them. 'Got the same answer you did, @jjJJ. They will only do wire transfers, and that's accomplished by faxing them a form (every transaction, every time). For me, I have the forms with me when I travel as a backup, but my investment company/broker is cheaper & easier option for transferring money into Thailand so I don't use NFCU. I do carry their GoRewards VISA card, also just as a backup (if used, no foreign transaction fees, and I'd immediately go online and transfer the funds necessary to avoid any finance charges, and if I remember correctly, they refund any ATM fees as well). My investment firm charges no transaction fees, only requires a free phonecall, and the money's in my account the next day, so that's my SOP.

Edited by hawker9000