Alcohol-related mental disorders on the rise in Thailand

webfact

Alcohol-related mental disorders on the rise in Thailand

BANGKOK, 17 June 2015 (NNT) - According to the Department of Mental Health’s latest survey, the number of alcohol-related mental disorders is on the rise in Thailand.

The department conducted the national mental health survey every five years to study the link between psychiatric disorders and substance abuse. This year’s survey was conducted on nearly 5,000 subjects aged over 18 across Thailand during July and September of 2013.

The survey found that the prevalence of Thais with mental problems is at 1.9 percent or 1 million people. In this group, 1.8 percent or 900,000 people suffer from depression while 1.6 million people suffer from anxiety. Around 500,000 adults have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

The alarming discovery in the survey is the fact that the prevalence of alcohol drinkers with mental issues is 19.6 percent or 10.1 million people. Compared to other countries around the world, Thailand tops the list, followed by Ukraine, the US, South Africa and Japan.

Alcohol can contribute to the development of mental health problems, as well as exacerbating pre-existing mental health difficulties. It can also reduce inhibitions for an individual to act on suicidal thoughts, which they may not have done if not under the influence of alcohol.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-17 footer_n.gif

The survey found that the prevalence of Thais with mental problems is at 1.9 percent or 1 million people.

and

The alarming discovery in the survey is the fact that the prevalence of alcohol drinkers with mental issues is 19.6 percent or 10.1 million people.

1 million and 10.1 million are virtually the same? facepalm.gif

Edited by phoenixdoglover

The survey found that the prevalence of Thais with mental problems is at 1.9 percent or 1 million people.

and

The alarming discovery in the survey is the fact that the prevalence of alcohol drinkers with mental issues is 19.6 percent or 10.1 million people.

1 million and 10.1 million are virtually the same? facepalm.gif

Easy to understand when you know the person writing the article has absolutely no idea of what they are writing/cut and pasting.

This is chicken and egg stuff. Sure drink can make you depressed and anxious. On the other hand, if you are already depressed and anxious you are more likely to turn to drink. Another example of statistics proving anything you want to prove.

And yet the evil called Marijuana is still banned.

Medicinal studies in the US found that consuming Marihuana is benefic to the mentally disordered ... People who use Marihuana are mentally more stable and less agressive ( and depressive ) than others .

Edited by pumpuy

Medicinal studies in the US found that consuming Marihuana is benefic to the mentally disordered ... People who use Marihuana are mentally more stable and less agressive ( and depressive ) than others .

I have been working with people who used "Ganja" on a regular basis in the past and have to clearly state here that I found all of them being:

A ) lethargic

B ) slow

C ) absolutely unreliable

D ) in total denial (I could stop at any given time, blablah...)

E ) dishonest

A agree with alcohol making people more aggressive and depressive, but that doesn't reduce Marihuana to a harmless "snack".

Edited by MockingJay

Do you have any links to these Studies? smile.png

Yea, appears things in The States are going to Hell. To many Freaken Drunks

On the roads already ; so let's all legalize marijuana too; not enough Freaken

Potheads grooving on the roads, we need more, NOT TALKING ABOUT THE

RECREATION USERS, A JOINT NOW AND THEN, I MEAN THE DAILY, DUMB

ASS, STONERS. (Who will, no doubt, be offended by this post)

"Traffic fatalities went down in 2014, according to data released by the Colorado Department of Transportation,vii challenging claims that the legalization of marijuana would lead to an increase in traffic fatalities. In the first 11 months of 2014, the state had 436 traffic fatalities, a 3% drop from the 449 fatalities in the first 11 months of 2013. The decline in fatalities in 2014 marks a continuation of a 12- year long downward trend in traffic fatalities in the state of Colorado."

A new strategy for Thailand?

I have been working with people who used "Ganja" on a regular basis in the past and have to clearly state here that I found all of them being:

A ) lethargic

B ) slow

C ) absolutely unreliable

D ) in total denial (I could stop at any given time, blablah...)

E ) dishonest

A agree with alcohol making people more aggressive and depressive, but that doesn't reduce Marihuana to a harmless "snack".

And I'm calling bull on this.

I seriously doubt that you have ever met anyone that you know is on ganja or otherwise you would not be making these stupid and baseless claims.

The window lickers are out early this season. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by tonytigerbkk

"Traffic fatalities went down in 2014, according to data released by the Colorado Department of Transportation,vii challenging claims that the legalization of marijuana would lead to an increase in traffic fatalities. In the first 11 months of 2014, the state had 436 traffic fatalities, a 3% drop from the 449 fatalities in the first 11 months of 2013. The decline in fatalities in 2014 marks a continuation of a 12- year long downward trend in traffic fatalities in the state of Colorado."

They probably clogged up the streets though because they were too stoned to notice the lights had turned green while they were rolling one on their lap, so nobody could get to a speed high enough to do damage. Still, I guess on balance that's a better situation than fatalities.

Or... "I was gonna ride my bike, but then I got high. I was going to head out for a drink, but then I got high". That would bring down road fatalities also.

https://www.drugpolicy.org/sites/default/files/Colorado_Marijuana_Legalization_One_Year_Status_Report.pdf

For Thailand rather Ketamine...