Trouble Obtaining Non Imm "o" In Australia

Hey guys,

well i have just called the Embassy here in Canberra and they have told me i cannot apply for a Non Imm type "O" as i am not over 50 years old??? that doesnt sound right?

I am flying back to Thailand on December 3rd for a period of about 6 months maybe more so i think a NOn Imm is my best option.... she has said i can applyu for a 60 day tourist visa with 2x re-entry's....i ddidnt quite understand her... if i was to take this option how long would i be entitled to stay in thailand for in total for my trip?

Sorry for all the questions i just find it hard to believe no-one under 50yo can get a Non Imm "O"

J

i just find it hard to believe no-one under 50yo can get a Non Imm "O"

Hi mekka,

You can get a nom-Imm "o" visa when you are under 50yo...

but only if you married a thai lady,

or if your father or mother is thai,

or a few restrictive conditions like that,

but NOT for tourism.

For you the best (and only?) solution is a Tourist Visa with triple-entry

that can give you up to 3x90 days (about 9 months)

Pattaya46

Hey Pattaya!

Thanks for the very fast reply! much appreciated!

Ok that clears a few things up for me, with this 90 day tourist visa how does that work? She only mentioned a 60 day tourist visa...and if i wanted to have 3x re-entry stamps doesnt this go against the new rules of only being allowed to stay for 90 days within a 6 month period? Sorry to sound stupid but all this really confuses me! Your help is very much appreciated!

Hi mekka,

but NOT for tourism.

Pattaya46

A tourist visa allows for a sixty day entry ino Thailand. This can be extended a further thirty days at an immigrations office just before the initial sixty days expires (for a fee, of course). Using the extension route yields a total of ninety days per entry.

For what you are planning, a double entry tourist visa (with extensions) should work, but a triple entry tourist visa would be better assuming the embassy will issue one.

doesnt this go against the new rules of only being allowed to stay for 90 days within a 6 month period?

Your confusing people who come to Thailand and recieve a 30 day visa exemption stamp upon arrival and then nip out the country and back in for a further 30 day stamp.......which is what the new rules are all about.

What you intend to apply for is different.

Ahhh ok mi think i have it clear, because last time i was there for 6 months i was just doing a visa run every 30 days...so the new rules are for the visa on arrival ppl doing border runs every month right?

thanks for your help guys i will go into the embassy and see if i can score one of tthese re-entry ones.

Is the 30 day extension a definate...or does it depend on the immigration officer? and what is the fee?

Ahhh ok mi think i have it clear, because last time i was there for 6 months i was just doing a visa run every 30 days...so the new rules are for the visa on arrival ppl doing border runs every month right?

Yes the new rules pertain to the thirty day entry stamps (i.e. no visa).

thanks for your help guys i will go into the embassy and see if i can score one of tthese re-entry ones.

Technically, it's not re-entry. For a tourist visa it would be double-entry, triple-entry etc.

Is the 30 day extension a definate...or does it depend on the immigration officer? and what is the fee?

I've never heard of anybody being turned down for such an extension although I certainly don't profess to be an authority on this (I believe the fee for an extension is 1900 baht). I like hedging my bets though, so if I were you I would opt for a triple-entry tourist visa if Canberra will issue one.

Edited by ovenman

Hi mekka,

but NOT for tourism.

Pattaya46

Very bad information given Pattaya46 :o

Yes, you can get a non immigrant O visa if you are under 50. You do not have to be married. You do not have to have Thai parents. You must be visiting for Bussiness, Professional education or other non tourist activities.

Visiting friends and family of friends is an acceptable reason. A letter from a Thai friend would certainly bolster the chances of approval :D

For the OP, I assume you do know someone in Thailand that could help you out in that area.

Edited by Thai Chi

Hi mekka,

but NOT for tourism.

You can get a Non Imm O for visiting family or friends in Thailand - regardless of your age 18 or 80.

No documentation from the Thai you are visiting is required, just their name & address on the application form.

A Non Im m 'O-A' retirement visa is only issued to the over 50s

Yes, you can get a non immigrant O visa if you are under 50. You do not have to be married. You do not have to have Thai parents. You must be visiting for Bussiness, Professional education or other non tourist activities.

Sorry, but you are the one that is incorrect. One will not be issued a non-immigrant 'O' visa for any of the activities you list. Business visitors are issued non-immigrant category 'B' visas, students non-immigrant category 'ED' visas, missionaries non-immigrant category 'R' visas, etc. Suggest you review the list at Non-Immigrant Thai Visas before you are so quick to criticize.

Visiting friends and family of friends is an acceptable reason. A letter from a Thai friend would certainly bolster the chances of approval :D

Once again you are incorrect. "Visiting friends" is not technically a valid reason for a Thai consular office to issue a non-immigrant category 'O' visa, although some of the smaller, friendlier consular offices may in fact do so. A Thai embassy will generally follow the letter of the law and category 'O' is usually reserved for dependants/family as Pattaya46 stated.

Sorry, but you are the one that is incorrect. One will not be issued a non-immigrant 'O' visa for any of the activities you list. Business visitors are issued non-immigrant category 'B' visas, students non-immigrant category 'ED' visas, missionaries non-immigrant category 'R' visas, etc. Suggest you review the list at Non-Immigrant Thai Visas before you are so quick to criticize.

Once again you are incorrect. "Visiting friends" is not technically a valid reason for a Thai consular office to issue a non-immigrant category 'O' visa, although some of the smaller, friendlier consular offices may in fact do so. A Thai embassy will generally follow the letter of the law and category 'O' is usually reserved for dependants/family as Pattaya46 stated.

Ovenman, yes you are correct. I am partly wrong. I took my information from the Thai consulate site in Brisbane. Whilst typing the reply I inserted the "O" after non immigration :D Why??? Probably because that was the type of visa I obtained from them. It was not intentional.

Aplologise to pattaya46 in this case, as I was responding on my own experience. IE: Multi non immigration O visa issued for visiting friends.

Next time I'll just shut up and leave it to the experts :D

yes you should. I'm tired of people on this board who claim airily that you can get a NonImm O easily for "visiting friends".

While I don't doubt that this can occasionally happen (many years ago?) it is clearly as rare as snow in July and to all intents and purposes discount the advice of anyone who tells you this.

Ovenman, yes you are correct. I am partly wrong. I took my information from the Thai consulate site in Brisbane. Whilst typing the reply I inserted the "O" after non immigration :D Why??? Probably because that was the type of visa I obtained from them. It was not intentional.

Aplologise to pattaya46 in this case, as I was responding on my own experience. IE: Multi non immigration O visa issued for visiting friends.

yes you should. I'm tired of people on this board who claim airily that you can get a NonImm O easily for "visiting friends".

While I don't doubt that this can occasionally happen (many years ago?) it is clearly as rare as snow in July and to all intents and purposes discount the advice of anyone who tells you this.

10 Posts and your tired already :D

Go have a lie down son :D

You can get Multiple Entry Type-O Non-Immigrant Visas for visiting friends or even just an extended stay. Each consulate and embassy is different and seem to be a law unto themselves - if your local one doesn't give them out, try another one in your home country if that is possible. Or even the same consulate a few weeks later you might find they have changed their rules or you are talking to a different staff member. About the only constant is that the consulates and embassies only give out the longer visas to locals, so I doubt an Australian could visit the embassy in Hull UK and get one.

Even if 'not technically valid' acording to the letter of Thai law to give out the visas (which I understand is deliberately vague anyway, and I wouldn't trust a translation either), they are still legal visas if you get one.

Except in this case, it's not what the OP is really asking for nor needs and is therefore inappropriate in this particular case and many others. Only a matter of time before the inappropriate use of them leads to their cancellation for all that do want to use them appropriately... so by all means, get the visa that is the least expensive, the least troublesome, and the most appropriate for your particular needs.

For the purposes of this thread, the OP already mentioned he would obtain the appropriate visa two days ago.

Edited by sriracha john

yes you can get a O visa from Australia !

i have one

no married

under 50

if one consulate tell you No , ask a other, off course you need to have a good financial positions !

I know three consulates who are not flexible , but mentioning name is not wise , do some search !

as stub said :

Each consulate and embassy is different and seem to be a law unto themselves - if your local one doesn't give them out, try another one in your home country if that is possible.

Except in this case, it's not what the OP is really asking for nor needs and is therefore inappropriate in this particular case and many others. Only a matter of time before the inappropriate use of them leads to their cancellation for all that do want to use them appropriately... so by all means, get the visa that is the least expensive, the least troublesome, and the most appropriate for your particular needs.

For the purposes of this thread, the OP already mentioned he would obtain the appropriate visa two days ago.

You seem to be claiming better knowledge of what is an appropriate visa is than the consulates. There are a number of consulates who do think a Multiple Entry Type-O Non-Immigrant visa is the appropriate visa to issue to long term stayers, whether they are here for an extended holiday, telecommuters, or whatever. The O in Type-O stands for Other, and it is up to the discretion of the consuls and ambasadors to decide to whom it is appropriate to give them to within the mandate given to them by the Thai govornment. Just like they can refuse to give you any visa at all if they don't like the way you look or are suspicious of your motives. And it is their opinion that counts.

This flexibility is desirable. Instead of an inflexible beurocracy that can be gamed, the discretion of their consuls can allow them to do things like make it difficult for the paupers to obtain visas (by telling Penang and other neighbouring consulates to follow stricter guidelines), but allowing consulates in rich countries to funnel in people who can demonstrate sufficient wealth that it is obvious they wouldn't consider working here. The bulk of visitors fit into the standard rules, and the remainders can still discuss the issue with an official with the power to make decisions. Do you honestly think Thailand wants to deny a visa to a visiting Fortune 500 CEO because their company doesn't have a business presence in Thailand and they might do some work here? Or a pop star? Or a telecommuter and their partner earning western wages and pumping a big chunk of that straight into the local economy?

Not sure what you're going on and on about. The way the forum works is someone starts a thread expressing a specific need and people respond with what would work best for that specific person in that specific situation.

The OP already expressed his intent to follow was suggested to him in his specific situation, so essentially... its a closed thread.

Thanks, anyway, for trying to express whatever it is you were trying to express.

Hi mekka,

but NOT for tourism.

Pattaya46

I used to get Non Immigrant "O's" in L.A.I guess things changed,or maybe because I was LAPD!!!!!!!!! :o:D:D