Employment problems---for staff

My son aged 22 ,with Thai citizenship, joined a large property group as an employee in the middle of lApril. At the end of the month no payment was made to him--he was told that he would be paid after completion of a full months employment.

This did not happen and now he has been told that he will have to wait till the end of this month. The reason given was that the company had taken on a number of new employees and time was needed to sort things out.

I have heard stories of the offhanded way Tha employers treat their staff but this company is not small and is European in name and almost certainly ownership,but clearly using Thai staff control.

Difficult situation for the poor employee--he can only wait and hope --or the alternative is to walk away --which i am told happens a lot . If the employee maks a fuss then he will probably be sent on his way without any payment and the company will feel secure in the belief that nothing will happen.

I worry that payment may not be made-- “need time to sort it out” again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Simply wrong. For a Thai the paper work is simpler.

I joined my current company over 4 years ago, confirmed acceptance of position on the 4th of the month and actually started work (work-permit in hand and health insurance in place) on the 15th of the same month). Salary calculated to a daily rate since joining partway through the month, tax and social deducted and paid on time before the end of that month.

As posters above, suggest, have your son discuss it with the labor department. They are more often than not on the side of the employee and not the employer.

Simply wrong. For a Thai the paper work is simpler.

I joined my current company over 4 years ago, confirmed acceptance of position on the 4th of the month and actually started work (work-permit in hand and health insurance in place) on the 15th of the same month). Salary calculated to a daily rate since joining partway through the month, tax and social deducted and paid on time before the end of that month.

As posters above, suggest, have your son discuss it with the labor department. They are more often than not on the side of the employee and not the employer.

We had staff join in the last week of the month and they got the payment based on the working days on the 30th like all the other staff.

What I think is happening here: After 2 month, maybe 3 they will tell some of the new staff that their work performance is not good enough and don't pay them.

lodge a complaint at the Department of labour

but this company is not small and is European in name and almost certainly ownership

Trust me, if the company are playing silly buggers with things like WP's for foreigners they are employing they will not want the DOL sniff about their business

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Don't know about rest of the world but for instance in Sweden most of the jobs are like this...

Someone starts a new job january 1th and work the entire month but that someone wont get that january salary until around 25th of february. February salary is paid out around 25th march and so on for the rest of the year.

If your son raises the issue with HR, with a veiled mention of labor rights, they will pay up pretty quick. Happened to my son, who is also a Thai citizen. Perhaps, being a luk kreung and not being scared of management played a part. Many Thais would be too shy to say anything and rather walk than make a fuss.

Did your son stopped to work self or did they kicked him out? In normal they must pay him addional for 1 month. If you stay in Pattaya, the next Labor Office is in Sri Racha on the left side of the Sukhumvit when you drive out of the city.

Edited by snowgard

What does your son's co-workers say about this? Is it normal company procedure or is his case different?

If it is normal then wait it out. He is not losing money as it is only being held back. Once he is paid, and on time thereafter, it will soon be forgotten.

If it is not normal, then take it up with the Labor Board.

So he just started working and he is already making problems ? For sure we cannot trust any Thai staff !

How is expecting to be paid in a timely manner 'making problems and being untrustworthy'?

Any company worth working for treats their employees with respect and values their work. Paying them for the work they do is the first step to trusting the company, not the other way round.