Pirates board 3 ships in three hours in Singapore Strait

webfact

Pirates Board Three Ships in Three Hours in Singapore Strait
by Mike Schuler

SINGAPORE: -- Three commercial ships were boarded by pirates within just three hours of each other in Straits of Malacca and Singapore (SOMS), the ReCAAP Information Sharing Centre has reported.

The three vessels were boarded in close proximity of each other while underway Wednesday in the eastbound lane of the SOMS. ReCAAP says that the three incidents occurred within about three hours and just 4 to 10 nautical miles of each other, leading authorities to believe that the perpetrators were part of the same group.

In all three incidents, the perpetrators were sighted in the engine room, an indication that the vessel’s engine spare items were targeted, ReCAAP said.

The vessels have been identified as the Brazilian-flagged bulk carrier MV Densa Shark, the Norwegian-flagged LNG tanker Clipper Posh and the Panama-flagged tanker Pro Triumph.

Full story: http://gcaptain.com/southeast-asia-piracy-three-ships-boarded-in-three-hours-in-singapore-strait/

-- gCaptain 2015-06-18

About time they had a ready response group in that area so that as soon as a may day call is received fighter jets and, or helicopters can be scrambled to intercept any pirates and track any ship that is hijacked. Distances are short in that area so they should be able to be with a ship in trouble very quickly.

A combined ASIAN naval task force with at least one ship on patrol at all times should also put in place.

About time they had a ready response group in that area so that as soon as a may day call is received fighter jets and, or helicopters can be scrambled to intercept any pirates and track any ship that is hijacked. Distances are short in that area so they should be able to be with a ship in trouble very quickly.

A combined ASIAN naval task force with at least one ship on patrol at all times should also put in place.

this is not to say i dont see the need for one. But cant easiy imagine asia raisng funding To save other Nations ships and cargos

To me it would go against their nature.

rijit

Edited by rijit

this is not to say i dont see the need for one. But cant easiy imagine asia raisng funding To save other Nations ships and cargos

rijit

Lovely imagination... yours!

rijit

Yeah well it aint my imagination that these attacks been going on for ???years and i dont suppose our man is the first to suggest a task force, so you work it out.

rijit

rijit

Yeah well it aint my imagination that these attacks been going on for ???years and i dont suppose our man is the first to suggest a task force, so you work it out.

rijit

There has already been, for several years, a multi-national force patrolling the Straits, and which even includes India among the members (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htseamo/articles/20060302.aspx). Piracy had been brought down dramatically as a result of this. Let's not make too much of what, in a sense, is a single incident.

rijit

rijit

There has already been, for several years, a multi-national force patrolling the Straits, and which even includes India among the members (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htseamo/articles/20060302.aspx). Piracy had been brought down dramatically as a result of this. Let's not make too much of what, in a sense, is a single incident.

Agreed i was going on what a poster

Was saying that there wasnt one . Im glad there is one but tbh sadder that the people are so piss poor they need to do shit like this.

rijit

Edited by rijit