Mass shooting at Charleston church in South Carolina leaves 9 dead

webfact

9 fatally shot at historic black church in Charleston, SC
ALEX SANZ, Associated Press
DAVID GOLDMAN, Associated Press

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (AP) — A white man opened fire during a prayer meeting inside a historic black church in downtown Charleston on Wednesday night, killing nine people in an assault that authorities described as a hate crime. The shooter was still at large.

The shooting took place at the Emanuel AME Church, Police Chief Greg Mullen said. He said there were survivors, but would not say how many, or how many were inside at the time of the shooting. He also would not confirm whether the pastor, state Sen. Clementa Pinckney, was one of the victims.

Mullen described the suspect as a white male in his early 20s. He said he believed it was a hate crime, but would not elaborate.

"The only reason that someone could walk into a church and shoot people praying is out of hate," said Charleston Mayor Joseph P. Riley. "It is the most dastardly act that one could possibly imagine, and we will bring that person to justice. ... This is one hateful person."

As police and the city's mayor updated the news media, a group of pastors huddled together praying in a circle across the street.

Police moved members of the news media back away from the site due to what they called an "imminent" threat. They did not release any details.

The campaign of Republican presidential hopeful Jeb Bush sent out an email saying that due to the shooting, the candidate had canceled an event planned in the city Thursday.

The Emmanuel AME church is a historic African-American church that traces its roots to 1816, when several churches split from Charleston's Methodist Episcopal church.

One of its founders, Denmark Vesey, tried to organize a slave revolt in 1822. He was caught, and white landowners had his church burned in revenge. Parishioners worshipped underground until after the Civil War.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-18

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ugly, revolting crime? - Yes!

Crime of Hate? - Yes!

Catch him. Hang, Gas or Electrocute him? - Yes!

But before this is done they will have to try this "white young man in his 20-s" to answer the question "Why".

Something tells me he is not going to be taken alive. Perhaps it will be better for him.

But I am sure it will be better for the Authorities. The reason "Why" may be embarrassing.

Hate???

Another word worthy of consideration... racism.

Sorry, BB, this is NOT racism.

The local Authorities in unison agree on "Hate crime".

There are many racists on either side of the color divide, but such heinous crimes are rare.

Nobody, but nobody, goes and starts shooting people in church because of racism.

Intense, burning Hate is the motive. The big question is "Why"? I suggest we wait and see.

RIP...

Another sad day for America.

Walk into a Church and start shooting, almost certainly none of the victims had a gun in church to be able to defend themselves.sad.png

Yes because everyone being armed with a glock in church is what jesus would want.

Hate???

There are many racists on either side of the color divide, but such heinous crimes are rare.

Nobody, but nobody, goes and starts shooting people in church because of racism.

Intense, burning Hate is the motive. The big question is "Why"? I suggest we wait and see.

Maybe because they hate black people?

Hate???

Oh? I am amazed that you can tell it wasn't a hate crime (racially motivated) from..... Well, from the only 2 things we know. He was white and walked into a black church and killed 9 and wounded another.

Again ?

Shocking!

R. I. P.

Yes, it is getting worse and worse in America.

The situation may get out of control soon if they did not change the regulations regarding gun possession. shock1.gif

What do you think?

Again ?

Shocking!

R. I. P.

Yes, it is getting worse and worse in America.

The situation may get out of control soon if they did not change the regulations regarding gun possession. shock1.gif

What do you think?

I would like to answer you question but..............

People on this website asking why this is not called a terrorist attack. Seems a pertinent question by many.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/91193-reactions-to-charleston-church-shooting-show-that-an-attack-like-this-is-an-attack-on-us

Love how you defend scum bags unless the scum bags are white. There are bad people in this world of all races and religions. Dude will be caught and dealt with. Cannot help but thinking that all of these recent racial crap plastered all over TV regarding cops and riots are going to bring out the crazies such as this guy. Some people, unfortunately including our president, cannot see the forrest for the trees and take actions which make all of this bs worse.

Obama will not come out and condemn what is clearly black on white crime, but he will certainly stir the pot on this one. This will only cause more racial divide and hard feelings resulting in potentially more riots and more senseless killings.

Why is it when I read about all the mass shootings in the US over the years...the movie "Jacobs Ladder" always comes to mind....?

...oh well. Back to taking photos of the dinner I'm about to eat.

Fundamentalist Christians again!!

What a dumb a@@@@ comment to make before any facts are known. Fact is, the christians I know are actually really good people, that lead good lives and hep others. This crazy mf'er has zero to do with religion or Christianity and everything to do with being a crazy loser scum bag. Religion did not make him that way.

Candidly, I wish some of the religious normal would stick on me and make me a better person. Lol, I probably would not hang out is miserable places like this listening to a bunch of whining ol _____ if I had a better grasp on my faith and lived a better life.

Another white American male kills indiscriminately. When is the community going to do stand up and do something about the killers in their midst?

Dude will dealt with swiftly and harshly. What do you want to happen? What are you suggesting? I could be wrong, but you sound a bit like a nutter or another miserable sot calling for more violence.

Another white American male kills indiscriminately. When is the community going to do stand up and do something about the killers in their midst?

Dude will dealt with swiftly and harshly. What do you want to happen? What are you suggesting? I could be wrong, but you sound a bit like a nutter or another miserable sot calling for more violence.

It's a comment which is made over and over and over again on forums like this whenever there is some Muslim atrocity; it would be nice if standards were universal.

It's a comment which is made over and over and over again on forums like this whenever there is some Muslim atrocity; it would be nice if standards were universal.

Lol, answer the question rather than throwing it off on everyone else. More of the same pathetic bs used by same pathetic bs people to create same bs problems. Trying to use this to create excuses for crazy Muslim terrorist behavior and divisive mentality is just more pathetic non-sense.