Red Number Plates At Night

2long

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Up until the other day, I quite liked someone-on-this-board's previous theory that red plates were historically for 'new drivers', and that this law has migrated to new cars. Therefore driving at night was not allowed and the police stopped drivers.

One of my students is a lawyer and I have just bought a new car this week. I asked him about it and he said that the plates are what we know in the UK as 'trade plates' and should only be used for 'showroom/test drive/service/dealer' purposes. Therefore, driving at night, when the dealer is closed, is not allowed unless a letter is written and stamped by the dealer for each and every night!

Hope this helps, but in reality, it's wee red banknote under one's licence when one heands it to a uniform, whether you like it or not!

In practice no one ever stops cars for driving with red plates. Yes, they are "dealer plates", registered to showrooms. I've never heard they were for "new drivers".

Some dealers don't have enough plates in stock, so they fix the fake ones, I heard.

Legally you can't drive outside your province with red plates, too.

I bought a Pre Runner about 2 months ago.The saleslady explained that the red plates were just copies and that when I needed to drive out of the area I would have to pay 3500 b deposit to get the real ones. :D

I phoned her a couple of weeks ago and said I was driving half way round Thailand in a few days time.

She said they had no original plates left because of the good sales they'd had.

Then she told me not to worry because fakes or originals , I'd still get fined :o T I T :D

I went through 5 road blocks but only got one 200 baht fine and he never even mentioned the red plates :D

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this has been answered before.

Up until the other day, I quite liked someone-on-this-board's previous theory that red plates were historically for 'new drivers', and that this law has migrated to new cars. Therefore driving at night was not allowed and the police stopped drivers.

One of my students is a lawyer and I have just bought a new car this week. I asked him about it and he said that the plates are what we know in the UK as 'trade plates' and should only be used for 'showroom/test drive/service/dealer' purposes. Therefore, driving at night, when the dealer is closed, is not allowed unless a letter is written and stamped by the dealer for each and every night!

Hope this helps, but in reality, it's wee red banknote under one's licence when one heands it to a uniform, whether you like it or not!

I have been waiting for my "real" plates for 2 months. The dealer seems to be in no particular hurry to get them.

My theory is that that's actually a service by the dealer - because red plates == new car == show off in the village, so people want to keep them on for as long as possible. Maybe?! :o

Never had a problem going through all sorts of police stops with them but I would really much rather have proper plates...

I was told several times that Thai,s use them as a status symbol indicating they have indeed puchased a NEW car.

I,ve even seen cars with them on that are obviously not so new.

Also the numbering comes into the equation with certain plates bearing " lucky numbers "

emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm T.I.T. of course :o

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

The weirdest story that I heard about the reason why red plate cars could not be on the road at night was because NEW cars were more likely to be stolen at night.

When I bought my car I was told them same by the dealer. Cars with Red plates aren't registered yet as the registration is in process, so when get stolen you have no insurrance. No Book, no cover as its hard to show you are the owner. You will get the dealer book with the red plates. Thats why they say to avoid driving at night or parking in dark area's over night.

So I dont know exactly what the truth behind red plates and driving after 7pm is.

The weirdest story that I heard about the reason why red plate cars could not be on the road at night was because NEW cars were more likely to be stolen at night.

When I bought my car I was told them same by the dealer. Cars with Red plates aren't registered yet as the registration is in process, so when get stolen you have no insurrance. No Book, no cover as its hard to show you are the owner. You will get the dealer book with the red plates. Thats why they say to avoid driving at night or parking in dark area's over night.

So I dont know exactly what the truth behind red plates and driving after 7pm is.

Well according to the Expat Motors' website there are no restrictions on driving a car with red plates in Thailand.

I also asked my gfs' dad (Thai) and he said the same thing, no problem to drive anytime with red plates :o

The story I heard was similar, that, being a new car, not yet registered to its owner, it would be more likely to be stolen in the night than during the day.

Legally you can't drive outside your province with red plates, too.

There has never been any law preventing anyone with a new car that bears red plates driving outside the province where the car was first purchased.....but there is a condition.

The pair of red plates comes with a dedicated log book that records the name of the new owner. Should the new car be driven outside of that province, then the log book has to be completed with the details of the itinerary. The log book and the red pates are passed on together to any subsequent new car purchase. Please don't ask me why.....I have never understood the logic!!!

Yes I would go along with the not speaking Thai bit, my Thai is good but not used in these situations, I have found it always works out more expencive, just throw your hands up in the air and look compleatly confused.