Red flagging Thai aviation safety is normal procedure

webfact

Red flagging Thai aviation safety is normal procedure

19-6-2558-11-19-43-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Announcement by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) on its official website that it was red-flagging Thailand for its failure to address significant safety concerns (SSC) within the 90 day deadline was a normal procedure but will stem regional civil aviation authorities to make more stringent check on the Thai aviation safety protocols.

Chairman of the Thai Airline Operators Committee (AOC), Louise Moser Jr., stated that the ICAO’s posting of the red-flagging on its website was normal procedure but admits that from now on, regional civil aviation officials will be making more stringent checks on Thailand’s civil aviation safety protocols.

However he reiterated that this was not a serious concern as Thai authorities are working to solve the problem.

At the same time deputy director of the Department of Civil Aviation of Thailand Mr Seree Chitsopa said that the country’s civil aviation industry has been red-flagged by the ICAO for failure to provide safety oversight in accordance with SSC guidelines set out by the ICAO within the stated period.

This is not a serious concern as the country will still be allowed to make corrective measures, he said.

The red-flagging however does not stipulate a specific time period for remedies to be made but is more likely an ongoing process where the country will make continuous regular steps to address the problem, he said.

The problem arose when the ICAO discovered problems with Thailand’s civil aviation safety standards in February 2015, he said.

ACM Prajin Juntong, the minister for the Ministry of Transport, meanwhile, admitted that he felt as if the country was a student who had failed in an important school test and will be closely monitoring the matter.

Of prime concern is the looming European Community’s announcement in connection with Thailand’s aviation industry on June 25 whose decision will greatly affect the country.

But nevertheless, the minister stated that the country will still move ahead regardless to improve safety standards.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/red-flagging-thai-aviation-safety-is-normal-procedure

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-19

>>ACM Prajin Juntong, the minister for the Ministry of Transport, meanwhile, admitted that he felt as if the country was a student who had failed in an important school test and will be closely monitoring the matter.<< Quote

A stupid Thai student ?? Not possible!! They are all passed................

sad... Thailand really has a long way to go...

all Thai aircraft are worthless as they don't do proper maintenance or have proper maintenance records.

i guess it is OK as long as they keep flying around inside their own bubble world country.

i wonder if the Thai Air Force does the same thing?

" This is not a serious concern as the country will be allowed to make corrective measures. "

Air safety isn't serious ? Would anything have been done if the ICAO hadn't made it public and red flagged Thailand ?

With attitudes like this the ICAO needs to stop talking, warning and giving deadline extensions and take positive and decisive measures as LoS won't give a toss until they do and will continue to just paper over the cracks. Sorry, bad choice of words when it comes to aircraft maintenance.

Currently, the countries hit with a red flag are Angola, Botswana, Djibouti, Eritrea, Georgia, Haiti, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Malawi, Nepal, Sierra Leone and Uruguay.

What a wondersful set of countries to be grouped with !!!

And ide lay odds that together they handle less air traffic than Bangkok

Let alone Thailand

rijit

Transport Minister 'Confused' by Downgrade of Thai Airlines
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Thailand's Transport Minister said he was surprised to see the United Nations' aviation agency announce a safety downgrade for Thailand-based airlines on its website yesterday.

Air Chief Marshal Prajin Janthong said he was informed by a Thai official that the UN’s International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) would not make a public announcement about the downgrade, which Thailand had been given 90 days to address.

ACM Prajin said his assistant, Arkom Termpittayapaisith, traveled to the ICAO headquarters in Canada to negotiate for more time to address the agency's safety concerns, and sent him a text message that the ICAO had agreed not to publish any information about Thailand's failure to meet the agency's standards.

"But yesterday the ICAO ended up putting red flag on Thailand on its website," ACM Prajin said. "That means the president of the ICAO did not do what he told Mr. Arkom. I am really confused why this happened. I have to admit that there was some miscommunication, but whether it was a miscommunication between me and Arkom, or between Arkom and the ICAO president, we are still checking about that."

He told reporters that he has already instructed the head of Thailand's Civil Aviation Department to get in touch with Arkom, who is still on a trip abroad, and clarify what was said at the meeting with the ICAO.

Prajin also said a formal press conference will be held by the Ministry of Transport on 22 June to explain the red flag's implications for the Thai aviation industry.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1434695910

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-19

Maybe they should hire all those executives backwink.png ? OR maybe fire 20 more, freeing up their salaries to hire 500 aviation mechanics and avionics techs to bring their planes up to higher standards.

Dump those airframes that are losing more and more value every single day, get what you can out of them, even if it is by kg at the scrap yard and work on the airframes you have in your fleet. (http://business.asiaone.com/news/thai-airways-downsize-fleet-more-24-2016)

And get someone in to "kick some a$S" and bring your load capacities up.

"However he reiterated that this was not a serious concern as Thai authorities are working to solve the problem."

How typically arrogant : the problem is immediately dismissed. I expect he thinks his face is fully intact after solving the issue already.

Arkom told: "Ah, yes the message I had to give to ICAO? Well, I didn't have the time to go the ICAO office myself because we was busy shopping with my wife in Europe. I asked my daughter, 12, to send a SMS to ICAO instead but she had no money anymore in her telephone. We'll contact ICAO as soon as possible. By the way, what is the message? Ah yes 'every thing is ok.' Fine."

Frankly, I even worry about non Thai planes being serviced at Swampy that I have to fly in.

I mean, how can a BA or Emirates pilot be 100% sure that Somchai didn't put fuel in the water tanks and vice versa? coffee1.gif

Here's a thought - why not have Thai Airline Operators Committee Chariman Louise Moser Jr. and ALL his staff do daily test flights on all questionable planes?

I believe they would get them fixed quick fast and in a hurry!

"He told reporters that he has already instructed the head of Thailand's Civil Aviation Department to get in touch with Arkom, who is still on a trip abroad, and clarify what was said at the meeting with the ICAO."

LoL. He needs to have someone else get in touch with his own assistant? Strange relationship...

Well here is a RED FLAG for you to start with then...

NOK AIR FLIGHT DD9515 to Don Muang on 15 June

Since when did Duct Tape become a standard practice for holding critical Engine Clips in place?

I guarantee it hasn't been fixed since Monday either....

Just what are customers supposed to feel when they look out of the window and see this???

post-18632-0-85744900-1434701459_thumb.j

post-18632-0-53396300-1434701471_thumb.j

post-18632-0-11154500-1434701482_thumb.j

all Thai aircraft are worthless as they don't do proper maintenance or have proper maintenance records.

i guess it is OK as long as they keep flying around inside their own bubble world country.

What Thai Air Force? There is a Thai Air Museum branded as an air force. However, ...

Don't you just love the headline? Red flagging Thai aviation is normal procedure.

It may be normal for Thailand to get red flagged but it is not normal for most of the rest of the world.

It has been almost 2 months now since Thailand got red flagged from Japan. What has happened since then? My guess would be nothing but reports and finger pointing. Which is a good reason why the ICAO red flagged them also.

What I don't understand is why Chief Marshall Janthong would be confused about?

Isn't it called thainess to agree to do something with a smile without any intention of doing it at all. I would say the President of ICAO is showing them some good thainess communication with Thailand.

I also don't understand how Thailand could move forward without any tourists spending their money here? If they don't fix this problem they could be banned by the world for air travel. One would think given Thais jumping hoops for tourist dollars that this would be a major concern for Thailand.

Don't you just love the headline? Red flagging Thai aviation is normal procedure.

It may be normal for Thailand to get red flagged but it is not normal for most of the rest of the world.

It has been almost 2 months now since Thailand got red flagged from Japan. What has happened since then? My guess would be nothing but reports and finger pointing. Which is a good reason why the ICAO red flagged them also.

What I don't understand is why Chief Marshall Janthong would be confused about?

Isn't it called thainess to agree to do something with a smile without any intention of doing it at all. I would say the President of ICAO is showing them some good thainess communication with Thailand.

I also don't understand how Thailand could move forward without any tourists spending their money here? If they don't fix this problem they could be banned by the world for air travel. One would think given Thais jumping hoops for tourist dollars that this would be a major concern for Thailand.

or perhaps they could do a deal exclusively With china banning the rest of the world flying into thailand !!! THAILAND ONLY OPEN TO CHINESE

That would spin :D

rijit

Edited by ChrisY1

"Still be allowed to make corrective measures"

The attention is in the detail, the key words should have been continues to implement outstanding corrective measures raised previously.

They should full steam ahead with their CAR's they already had 90 days to complete them, now by all accounts they're being given another 120 days.

If these are not done by this period, the transport minister should be sacked, based on Prayuths very early on comments about sacking people who are not efficient or good enough at their jobs, for failing to address these issues within 6 months.

Then senior THAI officials also need to be given the coco for their part in this failure, no doubt there are some who would not see this as a failure but a warning, no Mr Transport Minister the warnings were given what? 10 years back, and your flagship airline couldn't be bothered sorting the problems back then.