Re-entry on Educational Visa

I'm currently on a single entry ED visa that is due to expire around November.

My current extension of stay is until the 7th of August, however I will need to leave the country before then and I won't be back until after this date.

If I understand correctly, I'll need to pick up a re-entry permit to maintain my visa.

When I arrive back in Thailand, does this mean that I will automatically be issued another 90 days to stay in the Kingdom?

Does it make any difference if I arrive before / after the 7th of August?

Cheers

The re-entry permit will only be valid until your current extension ends and will give you an permit to stay to that date when you enter the country.

If you enter after that date you will only get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you qualify for it.

You are on extensions of stay now not a visa. Your single entry non-ed visa expired long ago and is irrelevant now.

If you have an extension of stay the "visa" has expired long ago and is of no use.

If you do not expect to be back in country before Aug 7th a re-entry permit is of no use.

You must obtain a new visa or accept a visa exempt entry of 30 days (assuming you qualify)

Thanks ubonjoe and nzexpat, but I don't understand your response entirely from the terminology used.

I arrived in October last year, and I was under the impression that my ED visa lasted until November (and this is what the school told me).

I'm guessing this is based on the initial "visa" part lasting 90 days, and then me being eligible for extensions of stay for up to a year.

I'm (and the school) are probably using the terminology incorrectly, but I've been getting extensions of stays from January until this time (in theory for 90 days, but with the new regime it's mostly been 60 or 70 days).

If I didn't leave the country, based on the information that I have so far I would continue to be able to do extensions of stays until Novermber when I would have to leave the country and apply for a new Visa.

Are you saying that by leaving the country before November and not arriving before my extension of stay expires, I'm forfeiting this?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I would be fine if I got the re-entry permit and got back before the extension of stay expired and then I could continue extending it until November.

Would that be the case?

If you go out of the country with a re-entry permit and return before your current extension expires then you can apply (with paperwork from the school) for a further extensions of stay.

The "school" has mislead and misinformed you about the "visa" which as you now know is long expired .

Your visa only gave you a 90 day permit to stay when you entered the country and you have been extending that permit to stay.

You can get a total stay of one year by getting extensions up to one year from the date you entered the country on your ED visa.

In reality you have nothing to forfeit other than you current extension if you don't enter the country by end of your current extension using a re-entry permit. The extensions of stay keep the non immigrant visa entry you got valid. If you loose that permit to stay you have to start all over again by getting a new non-ed visa.

Ok thanks a lot, that's clear now.

As far as the validity of the ED visa (or in reality the correct description would be extensions of stay) until November, that is correct based on what I've said so far and your understanding of the ED visa?

If the visa itself is only valid for 90 days, what specifically about the ED visa entitles you for extensions of stay for a 12 month period?

I guess what I actually mean is what is that I have (if anything) that's valid for 12 months, is this officially documented anywhere?

Is this actually an official rule, or simply a practice that you have to reapply every 12 months because they will deny you extension of stay otherwise?

You are allowed to get extensions of stay for one year. Your visa was only valid for 3 months from the date it was issued it gave you the firs 90 days of the one year you are allowed.

From clause 2.9 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

"(2) In case of non-formal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for no more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom."

The part in bold is why immigration can give you the 60 or 70 days you mentioned.

Extensions of stay are provided for many reasons and are only available to those who qualify.

You qualify by virtue of attending "school" providing the school supports any application you make for an extension of stay.

You have nothing which is "valid" for 12 months but you will be allowed to make applications for extensions of stay for up to one year providing you qualify.

It is an official rule that language school students are only permitted extensions of stay for up to one year, providing they qualify, before a new visa is required.

Edited by nzexpat

I can actually change my travel plans around to arrive before the extension of stay expires and it's not hard to change my plans at this point.

In your opinion do you think that immigration would have any problem granting a further extension of stay based on the length of the absence from the educational institution (given my passport will be stamped, there would be no way to pretend I hadn't been absent from school)?

I'll probably be gone around 5 weeks.

I can actually change my travel plans around to arrive before the extension of stay expires and it's not hard to change my plans at this point.

In your opinion do you think that immigration would have any problem granting a further extension of stay based on the length of the absence from the educational institution (given my passport will be stamped, there would be no way to pretend I hadn't been absent from school)?

I'll probably be gone around 5 weeks.

Being absent for that period of time may place your chance of obtaining further extensions at risk .