Apartment vs Condo

aTomsLife

Moving back to BKK and am looking for a hidden gem of an apartment building.

Condo market seems off to me. I used to live in Life Sutthisan and paid 15K a month for a 40 sq.m. one-bedroom. Unit was the epitome of cookie cutter and was only semi worth it due to the building's amenities (gym and pool) and its proximity to the MRT.

I noticed that many condos near MRT/BTS are advertised in excess of 15k now, and what's more, average unit size has shrunk to somewhere between 30 and 36 sq.m. Rent hike doesn't seem right given all the talk that the market is oversaturated with available units. Then again, maybe that's not true. Do the prices I'm seeing online reflect the reality on the ground?

Apartment buildings, serviced or otherwise, seem to offer a better value, as well as have more personality than their condo counterparts.

I'm hoping, then, that someone can recommend a good off-the-beaten-path apartment building.

Doesn't have to be serviced. I live alone and am capable of cleaning up after myself. Something around 40 sq.m. would be comfortable. Building doesn't need to be walking distance from a train station, but not too far either. District isn't too important, am open to any suggestions.

For a 1-bedroom, I can go as high as 15k. Would also consider a studio, so long as it's well laid out.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You're not wrong, there is most

definitely a glut of units so you

needn't be overly concerned

about rent hikes. I think they

more likely reflect the inability or

unwillingness of the typical agent

to manage owners' expectations

for fear of losing instructions.

If you haven't already, join FB

groups like Bangkok Expats or

DSBKK. Almost every day there

are units being offered either by

owners or those needing to get

out of a lease. Easy to find places

matching your requirements in

terms of size and budget from

what I've seen.

The biggest difference is how the utilities are charged. Most condos are direct billed from the utility provider while apartments are billed from the apartment management. In an apartment you could be billed 2, 3 , 4 times or higher per unit for electric over what a condo renter would pay. Using that Air con in an apartment could end up with an electric bill higher than the rent.

If you are going to be long term try House by the pond they have several different untits but soi 24 down soi 3 I think long time no go there were in yr bracket and is run by a good team.Up in the 70 sukhumvit you have some cheaper ones .let me know how you you get on.

The biggest difference is how the utilities are charged. Most condos are direct billed from the utility provider while apartments are billed from the apartment management. In an apartment you could be billed 2, 3 , 4 times or higher per unit for electric over what a condo renter would pay. Using that Air con in an apartment could end up with an electric bill higher than the rent.

Though sure the power charges are irratating the biggest diference 4 me was that in apartments there was a constant flow of really noisey work going on, constantly converting them over to suit demand att ie 2 bed to 1 bed or whatever, And also the resultant shockingly thin walls giving abso piss poor sound insulation didnt add to quality of life.

rijit

Edited by rijit

A condo is rented direct to the tenant by the owner. Condos in buildings are all privately owned units.

An apartment building is owned entirely by a company, that rents out all the units and provides the services like water, power and internet. Because services are supplied by the apartment building owners , they are the ones that send you the bill. They can charge what they like for water and the other provisions and often do charge up to four times what you would pay if dealing with the utilities companies directly yourself, as you would in a condo.

I have a 35 sqm, one bedroom condo coming available in mid July. Includes Fridge, microwave, flat screen TV and double bed. Cool North facing, overlooking the khlong with a very large pool, no gym though. There are washing machines on site and water machine.

It is very quiet in this building as most condos remain vacant. Good security and includes parking for one car. Transport is 7 baht to On Nuch BTS or about the same to Seacon Square. 15 minutes or so. Rent is 9200 Baht per month. Own arrangements for water and electric at standard rates.

PM me if interested.

post-100936-0-95218500-1434871365_thumb.

post-100936-0-88856700-1434871413_thumb.

post-100936-0-65840700-1434871473_thumb.

If you were in Suttisan before, move down a stop to Huay Kwang. There's some great rents under 15k all within walking distance to the MRT. 4 stops and you're in Sukhumvit in 7 mins. Apart from the massage places on Ratchada road, the area is generally inhabited by young professional Thais. There's a Life Condo block right by the station too.

If you were in Suttisan before, move down a stop to Huay Kwang. There's some great rents under 15k all within walking distance to the MRT. 4 stops and you're in Sukhumvit in 7 mins. Apart from the massage places on Ratchada road, the area is generally inhabited by young professional Thais. There's a Life Condo block right by the station too.

Yeah, I've often heard this. Happen to have any ideas why it's typically cheaper? Seems like the very same type of neighborhood and, like you said, is actually one stop closer to the CBD.

markeewan: thanks for the info re: your unit. Looks like a good deal. I should have mentioned, though, another reason why an apartment will suit me better right now is that I don't want to sign a long term lease. Will be in and out of Thailand the next five months, then will look to settle more permanently in November.

I have a 35 sqm, one bedroom condo coming available in mid July. Includes Fridge, microwave, flat screen TV and double bed. Cool North facing, overlooking the khlong with a very large pool, no gym though. There are washing machines on site and water machine.

It is very quiet in this building as most condos remain vacant. Good security and includes parking for one car. Transport is 7 baht to On Nuch BTS or about the same to Seacon Square. 15 minutes or so. Rent is 9200 Baht per month. Own arrangements for water and electric at standard rates.

PM me if interested.

Is that the Klong Tong building? I never saw their pool before. Important to note there is no kitchen, cheers.

High rise buildings generally comply with acceptable construction standards,although room sizes are often unacceptably small.

A lot of the low rise buildings are built without any engineering supervision and construction standards are shoddy.

Have a good look around any low rise building before making a choice, particularly if your stay is likely to extend.

High rise buildings generally comply with acceptable construction standards,although room sizes are often unacceptably small.

A lot of the low rise buildings are built without any engineering supervision and construction standards are shoddy.

Have a good look around any low rise building before making a choice, particularly if your stay is likely to extend.

Would a 8 floor building with 200 ish units count in that non supervised group?

If so what issues would you suggest to look for?

rijit

It's not the apartments getting smaller, it's the rents increasing year on year.

If something is vacant, do it the Thai way, don't reduce to sell or rent, increase the price & sit back

Craziness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not always true rocket boy, i've seen apartments rents reduced after they havent been able to tenant them out.

rijit

Would a 8 floor building with 200 ish units count in that non supervised group?

If so what issues would you suggest to look for?

rijit

I believe that the regs are only applied over 7-8 stories, but am not wholly up to date on that. I observed construction of one such building at close quarters from my condo last year and it was absolutely shambolic and dangerous to those working there. Normally a decent construction company would aim for 'right first time'. In that case it seemed like 'well we've done it 3 times already, it will have to do'. There was no evidence of supervision, the site owners just seemed to let the workers get on with it. They even tried to kill 3 or 4 of them working in an unsupported excavation which, as expected, collapsed.

Sorry for the rant, makes me very angry that these people treat their workers as disposable assets.

Difficult to suggest what to look for as obvious pointers such as cracks at beam, slab and column joints take time to develop. A more obvious sign is lifting of tiles owing to non-provision of movement joints. Also these building seem to have very poor quality fixtures and fittings (showers /taps / electical fittings/ door furniture etc.). Check also that doors / windows fit properly and open/ close easily.

PM me if interested.

Is that the Klong Tong building? I never saw their pool before. Important to note there is no kitchen, cheers.

Hi David, it is the Areeya Aspace G building next to PickaDaily mall. You are right there is no kitchen, just a sink. Cooking is not allowed in the rooms because of the dangers of gas bottles but some people cook on the balcony with electric.

As an alternative, I once rented at Vasan Mansion on On Nuch Soi 14. It is much closer to the BTS but perhaps too far to walk in the heat. These are apartment rooms with some furnishing for around 5500 Baht, restaurant downstairs and very quiet. Hi Speed internet available. Car parking available for 500 baht per month. If you want cheap and clean and don't mind a bedsitter within walking distance of the local Fitness First centre and easy access to Big C and the Skytrain then this is very affordable. The only complaint I had was that I was in the top floor and it got very hot from the sun in the day. Anything other than the top floor would be fine.

If you are going to be long term try House by the pond they have several different untits but soi 24 down soi 3 I think long time no go there were in yr bracket and is run by a good team.Up in the 70 sukhumvit you have some cheaper ones .let me know how you you get on.

You would actually have to pay me to spend a night in "House by the Pond". It's dark, creepy, and infested with all kinds of critters.