Ashes 2015

7by7

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Oval next week is a perfect opportunity for the English selectors to experiment a little with some more new blood. biggrin.png

With due respect. This is the ashes, fuc experimenting, I want 4-1 tongue.png

rijit

You are right. Why mess around with a wining combo. The Australians should be experimenting.

I bet Clarke will regret going on one more if they serve up another pitch like the last two.

I think it' the right move.

It's a dead rubber and I think he deserves a fairwell match.

G'Day Will, hope you are well mate.

Don't I recall you saying that would have been the right move some years back? wink.png

Congratulations England - Well played!

Now you can morally and Legally hold the Ashes !

We've morally and legally beaten Australia in our last four consecutive home series.

Edited by uptheos

I bet Clarke will regret going on one more if they serve up another pitch like the last two.

I think it' the right move.

It's a dead rubber and I think he deserves a fairwell match.

G'Day Will, hope you are well mate.

Don't I recall you saying that would have been the right move some years back? wink.png

G'day mate

Good to hear from you.

I do reckon Clarkey went on a tad long, but they all do now. They're so well paid now,

and rightly so, that most try and hang on.

But, having said that, as you can see, there was never anyone good enough to replace

even when he was in decline.

As it stands now, this Aussie batting line up is as weak as I can remember for a long long time.

Edited by Will27

Yep, game over for us Aussies. Outplayed and perhaps now outdated. It'll be time to introduce some young blood and build a new force.

I say again, very well played by the English but after copping some flack, might I just remind all of our dominance throughout the 70's, 80's and well into the 90's.

Again, the English team outplayed us to be victors in this Ashes. Well deserved.

I can understand cricket when watching but I am at a loss when listening or reading the game

interim scoring. I just need to be told who won the game. England happy, Australia sad. thumbsup.gif

I am very pleased by the England performance. A bit disappointed with the shortness of the last two tests and the lack of any real competition - two days viewing gone!!. Feel sorry for all the caterers etc at Edgbaston and Trent Bridge.

Anyway, just to throw in a view about pitches. An earlier poster stated they are the same for both teams. However, in every country, the grounds men prepare the pitches for the 'home' team. They all do it. I have no argument with that, but I think the 'toss' then becomes debatable. Was it Ricky Ponting who suggested the visiting team in any country should have the right to decide on batting or bowling. ? I have some sympathy with that idea, or, an alternating system whereby there is one toss and the winner gets 3 and the loser 2 of the 5 decisions in a series, or 2/1 in a 3 match series or 3/3 in a 6 match.

As a long standing member at Warwickshire CCC I remember twice going to Lords on a Saturday for the Gillette Cup. These were played in early September, usually in 'dewey' overcast conditions early on in the day. Whoever won the toss put the opposition in and had by far the best of the conditions. There was only one solution, bring the final forward to August. So, even though the 'toss' issue is not relevant here, certainly the pitch and conditions are not always the same for both sides. Mind you, some of the Aussies were technically very poor on that first morning and the swing bowling from England was excellent.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the one day series, and the final test match.

Anyway, I am looking

I can understand cricket when watching but I am at a loss when listening or reading the game

interim scoring. I just need to be told who won the game. England happy, Australia sad. thumbsup.gif

Listening on the radio could be confusing, even alarming, to those not so familiar with the game: "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey". ( Brian Johnston, sadly we won't hear his like again).

2 days and 39 minutes...Time to pay them by the hour.tongue.png

Day 3:

• 12 runs
  • 3 Wickets
  • 10.2 overs
  • 39 minutes of play

Well at least the day 3 ticket holders got a 50% refund, if only England got the out 3 ball earlier they would have got a 100% refund.

Love him or hate him, wise words from Chapelli methinks.

"Every time I hear people say the batting is better now, I nearly throw up, because the batting is not better.

The hitting is better, but the batting is not better. We've seen that with Australia. The art of survival is on the way out fast.

I don't blame the young guys."

Aussie guy goes into a fetish club and says he wants to be dominated and humiliated, the madame says it will cost him $100. He says that sounds reasonable, what do I get for that.

She says an Australian cricket shirt and a baggy green cap !

Nothing wrong with the pitches.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the pitcheswink.png

FJ

There's nothing wrong with the pitches ,I agree ,I think they have changed a lot over the years, go back a long time , pitches were uncovered and had something called grass on them.

Then ,say England would announce a team with several bowlers ,on the morning of the match ,after a pitch inspection they would make they mind up which bowlers to include in the team, if it was a green pitch or a bit overcast a certain bowler was picked, to suit the conditions ,especially a spine bowler .

The team bowling would open with the 2 main fast bowlers ,then a medium pace bowler after a while, as of now , that attack would keep going until lunch, then after lunch , a spin bowler would come on .

Now days ,teams are picked before, hardly ever on the day ,and spin bowlers are ,almost bowling well before lunch ,often with success .

Is it the big influence of ODI that has changed the way pitches are prepaid, even for the long format of the game, to get a result ,not a draw.

My 2 stangs worth.

@stoneyboy I read that piece from the Beeb,good article.

Pitch controversies have raised themselves ever since Laker's 19 for 90 at Old Trafford in the 1956 Ashes; if not before.

No other bowler has taken more than 17 wickets in a first class match; before or since.

His 46 wickets in the series, at an average of 9.60, is still a record for a five match Ashes series.

Did the English groundsmen, especially at Old Trafford, prepare pitches especially to suit him? Or was it simply the conditions plus the uncovered wickets of the period plus his undoubted skill?

I guess most people's answer depends on their nationality!

Yep, kicks off again today.

A bit hard to maintain interest but an Ashes test is an Ashes test.

Anderson out is a let down for the Poms and a boost for the Aussies.

I'm hoping that Cummings comes in for hazlewood and Mitch Marsh for Voges.

Would be nice to see Rogers and Clarke get some runs in their last tests.

Let's hope we can at least be respectable.

Teams:

England
  • Adam Lyth
  • Alastair Cook©
  • Ian Bell
  • Joe Root
  • Jonny Bairstow
  • Ben Stokes
  • Jos Buttler(wk)
  • Moeen Ali
  • Stuart Broad
  • Mark Wood
  • Steven Finn
Australia
  • David Warner
  • Chris Rogers
  • Steven Smith
  • Michael Clarke©
  • Adam Voges
  • Mitchell Marsh
  • Peter Nevill(wk)
  • Mitchell Johnson
  • Peter Siddle
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Nathan Lyon

Cook wins toss and puts Australia in. Unusual for the Oval where most prefer to bat first; but it's a heavy, overcast day so he probably expects it to swing.

The last Test captain to put a team in at the Oval and win was.......Alistair Cook.

Four overs in and Australia haven't lost a wicket!

England looking to break another record, as they have never won four home Ashes Tests before.

Edited by 7by7

Teams:

England
  • Adam Lyth
  • Alastair Cook©
  • Ian Bell
  • Joe Root
  • Jonny Bairstow
  • Ben Stokes
  • Jos Buttler(wk)
  • Moeen Ali
  • Stuart Broad
  • Mark Wood
  • Steven Finn
Australia
  • David Warner
  • Chris Rogers
  • Steven Smith
  • Michael Clarke©
  • Adam Voges
  • Mitchell Marsh
  • Peter Nevill(wk)
  • Mitchell Johnson
  • Peter Siddle
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Nathan Lyon

Cook wins toss and puts Australia in. Unusual for the Oval where most prefer to bat first; but it's a heavy, overcast day so he probably expects it to swing.

The last Test captain to put a team in at the Oval and win was.......Alistair Cook.

England looking to break another record, as they have never won four home Ashes Tests before.

Just astounded the selectors went with Peter Siddle over Cummingsfacepalm.gif

Lunch, 82 for 0 from 27 overs.

Rogers 27, Warner 53.

Cook's gamble hasn't paid off; due to some wayward bowling but mainly a different approach from the Aussie batsmen.

They have finally realised that they should not try and hit every ball!

Old fashioned, Test cricket; play yourself in by only playing balls you have to and once established start to look to score.

Australia's morning.

Teams:

England
  • Adam Lyth
  • Alastair Cook©
  • Ian Bell
  • Joe Root
  • Jonny Bairstow
  • Ben Stokes
  • Jos Buttler(wk)
  • Moeen Ali
  • Stuart Broad
  • Mark Wood
  • Steven Finn
Australia
  • David Warner
  • Chris Rogers
  • Steven Smith
  • Michael Clarke©
  • Adam Voges
  • Mitchell Marsh
  • Peter Nevill(wk)
  • Mitchell Johnson
  • Peter Siddle
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Nathan Lyon

Maybe its his farewell game as well.

Maybe its his farewell game as well.

If that's the case, we might as well give Rod Marsh the boot right now.

Siddle has been a wonderful soldier for Australia but you don't gift test matches.

Missed a great chance to give a young promising quickies a taste of test cricket.

I think it's more likely just another selection balls up like dropping Mitch Marsh in the previous test.