Ashes 2015

7by7

There's a little bit to it.

Steven Finn's spell was,well something he will never repeat again like that.(awesome)

If the aussies could manage another 50 and get to seventy.

There maybe a few nervous batsmen in the last innings.

Reality is probably England by 5 wickets,we will see.

I think you're giving too much credit to Finn instead of looking at the batting.

Finn bowled a great spell but he's only playing because of an injury to Wood.

If it wasn't Finn it would've been Broad, Anderson or Stokes.

Clarke is finished and is averaging 18 this series, and that's bolstered by a 32 not out.

Voges is not up to it and is averaging 14. At nearly 36, has surely played his last test match.

Mitch Marsh is averaging 15 and is only playing his 5th test and Neville is only playing his 2nd game.

So when we lose 2 wickets, we're virtually 5 or 6 down.

Shaun Marsh will come in for Voges and it wouldn't surprise me to see Watson brought

back for Marsh or even a quickie just to try and bolster the batting. Watson got slaughtered

for keep getting out for 30 odd. In this line up he would be the 4th best batsmantongue.png

I would love to see Nevill and Starc put on a few.

A 150 in front would make it interesting.

Sadly, all over by lunch methinks.

Edited by Will27

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dont suppose there's any news on anderson? Losing him for the series will be a HUGE blow. series breaker? Imo quite possibly.

rijit

Just saw on Sky that Jimmy has been ruled out of the next test.

Will probably have to wait and see if he's fit for the 5th test.

I'm hoping the series will still be alive by then.

Indeed, Jimmy's definitely out for Trent Bridge.

Which is a pity as the ball swings there!

Wood's ankle should be OK by then, so expect him back and Finn to stay in.

Finn's come back performance after all the trouble he's had since knocking that bail off with his knee on his delivery stride and the hard work he has put in to adjust his run up and action is heart-warming. By all accounts he's a great lad, and I hope he has a future in Test cricket.

This game has certainly had a lot packed into the first two days!

Australia managing to hold on, thanks to Warner and Nevill, and avoid the ignominy of not only an innings defeat but also a defeat inside two days. The last time that happened in an Ashes test Queen Victoria was on the throne.

Australia seem in an impossible position; but so did England at Headingly in 1981 until a certain I. T. Botham decided to have some fun at the crease!

If Nevill and the tail enders can get the lead up to 150 then who knows? Certainly Johnson is perfectly capable of doing to the English what Willis did to the Aussies at Headingly in '81.

But it's a big 'if.'

BTW, Nevill's innings is the only one so far in this game to have lasted for more than 100 balls.

Shame about the aussies first innings led an inexplicably bizare turn around from the last test. But good drama. Nothing out bout anderson wonder who'll take his place? him going out could be key to the outcome of the series, shame if it is.

rijit

Well done England,you've passed the selection headaches back to us.

We still have a few; not least who to replace Anderson with, especially if Wood isn't fit, and what to do about Lyth.

But, yes, your headaches are, I believe, worse.

The biggest one being your number 4, who also happens to be your captain!

His batting form atrocious, "At the moment we are playing with 10 players," he admitted on Friday evening. "The number four isn't turning up." (source)

In addition, he has now lost more Tests than any other Australian captain; ever.

Dropping your captain in mid series is a bold step; but could Clarke do a Mike Denness and drop himself?

The Australian pace bowling has been, to say the least, inconsistent.

Average at Cardiff, magnificent at Lords, pony at Edgbaston.

In your position, I would put Peter Siddle in the team. Not only is he economical, but, perhaps more importantly, he has played county cricket for Nottinghamshire and knows Trent Bridge very well.

But who to leave out?

Starc has got wickets, but is going at an average of 4 an over.

Johnson bowled two magnificent, unplayable balls here to dismiss Bairstow and Stokes, but the rest of his performance, especially in England's second innings, caused that song to ring around the ground. His 10 wickets in the series so far at 33 run each makes him the most expensive of the Australians who have taken a wicket.

Hang on! 10 wickets from 6 innings! Is that all? From the man reckoned by some before we started to be the series winner; the man the English top order were losing sleep over facing; the man who would destroy England!

I said before that while he's a real menace in Australian conditions, in English ones he's decidedly ordinary.

Well done England,you've passed the selection headaches back to us.

We still have a few; not least who to replace Anderson with, especially if Wood isn't fit, and what to do about Lyth.

But, yes, your headaches are, I believe, worse.

The biggest one being your number 4, who also happens to be your captain!

His batting form atrocious, "At the moment we are playing with 10 players," he admitted on Friday evening. "The number four isn't turning up." (source)

In addition, he has now lost more Tests than any other Australian captain; ever.

Dropping your captain in mid series is a bold step; but could Clarke do a Mike Denness and drop himself?

The Australian pace bowling has been, to say the least, inconsistent.

Average at Cardiff, magnificent at Lords, pony at Edgbaston.

In your position, I would put Peter Siddle in the team. Not only is he economical, but, perhaps more importantly, he has played county cricket for Nottinghamshire and knows Trent Bridge very well.

But who to leave out?

Starc has got wickets, but is going at an average of 4 an over.

Johnson bowled two magnificent, unplayable balls here to dismiss Bairstow and Stokes, but the rest of his performance, especially in England's second innings, caused that song to ring around the ground. His 10 wickets in the series so far at 33 run each makes him the most expensive of the Australians who have taken a wicket.

Hang on! 10 wickets from 6 innings! Is that all? From the man reckoned by some before we started to be the series winner; the man the English top order were losing sleep over facing; the man who would destroy England!

I said before that while he's a real menace in Australian conditions, in English ones he's decidedly ordinary.

Clarke won't drop himself and there's no one to replace him if he did.

Johnson has blown through your top order several times already but hasn't had the support needed.

Ten wickets for an impact bowler in a side losing 2- 1 is pretty good. Anderson only has 10 as well and

that included his first inning 6 for.

MJ at times has terrorised Ballance, Lyth, Bairstow and Stokes. I assume you watched the game so don't tell

me the over he removed Bairstow and Ballance in 4 balls wasn't sensational. You're also forgetting the wickets

he creates for Lyon and Co at the other end.

After Lords, Botham and Hussain both said MJ was opening up old wounds for the English batsmen.

He's an impact bowler, not a medium pacer !

I bet you all the tea in China if you said to Cook he could have 1 bowler from both sides, he would take MJ

every day of the week. Decidedly ordinary........go and ask the Pommy batsmen if he's ordinary.

Only one of 2 Aussies to take 300 wickets and score over 2000 runs.......sounds ordinary to mewhistling.gif

Maybe save your cockyness for the next test, it's still only 1-2.

BTW, how many World Cups have the Poms wontongue.png

Edited by Will27

Maybe the Aussie selectors will bring Haddin back into the team....as a batsman? gigglem.gif

Watson could be brought back...But I'd still keep Marsh.

Voges most likely to go?

Not a chance in hell Clarke will be dropped.

Rodgers 385

Smith 354

Warner 269 runs

Johnson 123 runs

Nevill 106 runs

Starc 98 runs

Clarke 94 runs

Voges 73 runs

Here are the batting averages thus far this series:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=9249;type=series

Will27,

Yes, Botham and Hussein did make that comment, after Lords and based on his performance there.

But those wounds, if opened at all, were firmly closed at Edgbaston.

Yes, I do know the over in which he dismissed Bairstow and Stokes (not Ballance, Lyon got him) was sensational; you must have missed the bit in my post where I said "Johnson bowled two magnificent, unplayable balls here to dismiss Bairstow and Stokes......" But other balls from him were rubbish; one so wide the square leg umpire was closer to it than the batsman!

I also know that Johnson is one of only 2 Australians to have made over 2000 runs and taken over 300 wickets.

I also know that Stuart Broad is just one wicket away from joining that exclusive club.

I have not said Johnson is not any good, just that in English conditions he is ordinary; not the force he is in Australia. His figures prove that.

If the English batsmen feared him before this series started, I doubt that they do now.

Obviously, as we saw in that one over, Johnson is capable of producing balls which are unplayable and will get batsmen out; but I suspect the Aussie batsmen are more glad to see the back of Anderson than the English batsmen would be were they told Johnson was to miss the last two Tests.

Johnson's figures so far: 94 - 21 - 336 - 10. An economy rate of 3.57 runs per over and each wicket costing 33.6 runs.

Anderson's figures so far: 87 - 20 - 275 - 10. An economy rate of 3.16 runs per over and each wicket costing 3.16 runs.

Anderson's figures, of course, include an abysmal performance at Lords, no wickets and an economy rate of over 4.

No one is making excuses for Anderson at Lords, so why make excuses for Johnson at Cardiff (0 for 111 in the first innings) and, more so, Edgbaston?

Not being cocky, simply pointing out the obvious.

It is a pity that England have not won a world cup; but it is Test cricket we are talking about; a different game.

Save your cockiness over that until the ODIs are over; but only if the Aussies win those.

Edited by 7by7

Good point 7x7, but you have to take into account the 'Family Friendly' pitches of the first two tests, lovingly created to nullify the impact of Johnson's terrifying short balls. We saw what happened as normally competent English batsmen cowered in fear in Australia and the mental anguish and destruction it caused more than a few.

The two wickets he took in the 3rd test had the power to rip England apart, and if he had received more backup from the bowling team it would well have done the trick. Unfortunately the Aussie bowlers have been bleeding runs and pressure not maintained.

MJ has down well so far, given his role, his style and what he has to work with

<snip>

Good point 7x7, but you have to take into account the 'Family Friendly' pitches of the first two tests, lovingly created to nullify the impact of Johnson's terrifying short balls.

All those concerned have consistently denied any pitch doctoring. The worst England can be accused of is asking for "typical English pitches" and what is wrong in that?

Are you telling me no Australian captain or coach etc. has never asked an Australian groundsman for a pitch which would favour the home side more than the visitors?

<snip>

Good point 7x7, but you have to take into account the 'Family Friendly' pitches of the first two tests, lovingly created to nullify the impact of Johnson's terrifying short balls.

All those concerned have consistently denied any pitch doctoring. The worst England can be accused of is asking for "typical English pitches" and what is wrong in that?

Are you telling me no Australian captain or coach etc. has never asked an Australian groundsman for a pitch which would favour the home side more than the visitors?

Denying it and doing it are two different things of course. The English denied at the the time they were using mints to advantage themselves with the swing of the ball...Later that was shown to be an outright lie

I have no doubt it has happened numerous times on AUstralian pitches.

Anyway, just advancing one of the main reasons MJ has been ineffectual...

Will27,

Yes, Botham and Hussein did make that comment, after Lords and based on his performance there.

But those wounds, if opened at all, were firmly closed at Edgbaston.

Yes, I do know the over in which he dismissed Bairstow and Stokes (not Ballance, Lyon got him) was sensational; you must have missed the bit in my post where I said "Johnson bowled two magnificent, unplayable balls here to dismiss Bairstow and Stokes......" But other balls from him were rubbish; one so wide the square leg umpire was closer to it than the batsman!

I also know that Johnson is one of only 2 Australians to have made over 2000 runs and taken over 300 wickets.

I also know that Stuart Broad is just one wicket away from joining that exclusive club.

I have not said Johnson is not any good, just that in English conditions he is ordinary; not the force he is in Australia. His figures prove that.

If the English batsmen feared him before this series started, I doubt that they do now.

Obviously, as we saw in that one over, Johnson is capable of producing balls which are unplayable and will get batsmen out; but I suspect the Aussie batsmen are more glad to see the back of Anderson than the English batsmen would be were they told Johnson was to miss the last two Tests.

Johnson's figures so far: 94 - 21 - 336 - 10. An economy rate of 3.57 runs per over and each wicket costing 33.6 runs.

Anderson's figures so far: 87 - 20 - 275 - 10. An economy rate of 3.16 runs per over and each wicket costing 3.16 runs.

Anderson's figures, of course, include an abysmal performance at Lords, no wickets and an economy rate of over 4.

No one is making excuses for Anderson at Lords, so why make excuses for Johnson at Cardiff (0 for 111 in the first innings) and, more so, Edgbaston?

Not being cocky, simply pointing out the obvious.

It is a pity that England have not won a world cup; but it is Test cricket we are talking about; a different game.

Save your cockiness over that until the ODIs are over; but only if the Aussies win those.

Something about batting, wounds can't be opened and closed at will.

Bairstow looked like he'd seen a ghost as he was walking off.

Take the 2nd innings out of the equation, the match was gone so there was

no pressure.

It's no use talking about economy figures, MJ doesn't run in and try and bowl dot balls,

that's not his job.

If you re-read my post, no one is making excuses for anyone. MJ was off at Cardiff, it is what it is.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about MJ. Calling him a 1 trick pony and ordinary (In England) is ludicrous.

In 2014 against SA in South Africa, who at the time I think were the number 1 rated team in the world,

MJ took 21 wickets at 17 in 3 tests and made the SA batsmen look like park cricketers.

Also winning the ICC cricketer of the year (twice) doesn't really back up your claims.

Back to the series, it's closer than you make out. Austraila's lack of runs in the middle order has been the difference.

For your guys, Cook has had one good innings in 6, Ballance gone, Bairstow nothing, Lyth nothing, Root holding it

all together.

It's funny, after Lords people were screaming out for multiple changes and now 1 test later, most things are ok.

Everyone's banging on about losing Anderson but seem to have forgotten we lost Ryan harris before a ball was bowled.

How many WC's was that againtongue.png

England on brink of winning back the Ashes

STEVE DOUGLAS, AP Sports Writer
NOTTINGHAM, England (AP) — Many pre-series predictions had Trent Bridge as the ground where the Ashes would be clinched.
Few, though, guessed it would be England heading to the fourth test at Nottingham starting on Thursday with the famous urn within reach.
An oscillating, unpredictable series swung back England's way with an eight-wicket win inside three days at Edgbaston last week, putting the hosts 2-1 up against Australia. One victory for the English in the final two matches will see them regain the Ashes.
The momentum is on England's side — although that may not be a reliable guide.
The team's record over the last seven tests reads: Win. Loss. Win. Loss. Win. Loss. Win. No other team in test history has registered such a bizarre sequence.
"We are consistently the most inconsistent side," England bowler Stuart Broad said. "We have to change that."
If they succeed in doing so at Trent Bridge, England will have won a fourth straight Ashes series on home soil. That's no mean feat considering the Australians arrived in Britain in June as the heavy favorites and still buoyant from a 5-0 whitewash of their old foes Down Under 18 months previously.
However, cracks are appearing in what was initially viewed as a tight unit. Players are struggling for form with the bat — notably captain Michael Clarke, with just 94 runs in six innings this series — and paceman Mitchell Johnson is carrying the bowling attack.
Australia showed its class in a 405-run win in the second test, but was thrashed in the first and third tests.
"We need to really improve in this game," Johnson said Tuesday. "It's like a grand final for us."
Trent Bridge is known to be a swing bowler's paradise, which makes the absence of injured paceman Jimmy Anderson all the more tough to take for England.
The country's all-time leading wicket-taker has a side strain, picked up during the third test, that deprives him of the opportunity of adding to his record of 53 wickets in eight tests in Nottingham — at an average of less than 20. Anderson had a 10-wicket haul here in the 2013 Ashes.
"It's a massive loss for them," Johnson said.
Mark Wood is likely to replace Anderson after having treatment on an ankle injury that ruled him out of the Edgbaston test. Wood practiced in the nets this week, and England captain Alastair Cook said the paceman was fit and in pole position for a recall.
"It looks really good for Woody," Cook said on Wednesday. "He has looked fit and ready. He is excited to have the opportunity he has got."
Liam Plunkett and uncapped left-armer Mark Footitt are other pace options for England.
Adam Lyth will retain his place as opening batsman, despite only averaging 12 this series and looking tentative outside his off-stump.
Australia may opt for a change in personnel, with Peter Siddle potentially returning to the bowling attack and Adam Voges' place in the batting lineup looking shaky.
One thing is for sure: Clarke will remain in the team.
"I have no intention to walk away from cricket," Clarke wrote in his column in The Daily Telegraph, "... I want to keep playing for Australia beyond this series, however I will be judged on performance like everyone else."
The experienced Brad Haddin is once again set to miss out, with Peter Nevill likely to be preferred as wicketkeeper for a third straight test. Australia coach Darren Lehmann has dismissed suggestions that Haddin's demotion has caused tension in the touring party.
"To lose someone like Hadds, and I guess in the situation it was, it's very difficult for everyone. More so for him. I'll probably just leave it at that," Johnson said in an uneasy remark about the issue.
aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-05