Ashes 2015

7by7

The first test begins in Cardiff on 8th July, but the build up has already started.

Ashes 2015: Michael Clarke aims to prove 'Dad's Army' label wrong

Australia have the experience edge, and possibly the talent one as well.

But England are fired up and have home advantage.

I'm not going to make a prediction, though, other than to say I think it will be close.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The recent 1 day series against the Kiwi's will be a hard act to follow, but lets hope the Ashes is played in the same spirit.

I don;t think it will be the 5-0 whitewash some have predicted but I do think the Aussies have the better bowling attack and will probably win. Would like to see Ashid play ahead of Ali who i don;t think is a good enough spinner at this level.

England has come out firing in the one day matches so maybe they will go into the Ashes with the same mindset?

Has thew new coach been involved for the one day series?

No he was not involved but the interim coach Paul Farbrace has worked with the new coach before and it is expected he will have a role in the new set up.

England has come out firing in the one day matches so maybe they will go into the Ashes with the same mindset?

The England test and ODI sides are substantially different in personnel these days.

But if the test side shows the same positive attitude, and based on their recent performances in the Caribbean and especially against New Zealand I think they will, then we are in for an entertaining and close run corker of an Ashes series.

Interesting article about David Warner

$50m rebel cricket contract would be tempting: David Warner

David Warner says he would consider taking up a mega contract offer from a rebel cricket league, in line with the way many of Australia's greats defected to Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket in the late 1970s.

Fairfax Media last month revealed Indian billionaire Subhash Chandra was, through his Essel Group empire, prepared to offer Warner and Australia Test captain Michael Clarke each a 10-year contract worth $50 million to spearhead the mooted rebel Twenty20 league.

Such a move would almost certainly, as occurred during the WSC split, disqualify those who signed with the rebel competition from representing Australia in current ICC-sanctioned competition, such as the looming Ashes series.

Warner said he considered being a target of the rebel league as one of "the things that come out in today's day and age".

"I don't like pointing things at people, but say for instance in the NRL or NFL or NBA if someone puts out a couple of extra thousand dollars on the table ... nine times out of 10 they do take that," Warner told Sydney's Sky Sports Radio on Monday morning, from London.

"It's about being honest. You can't rule it out, you can't say no, because ... we love playing the sport we do but we also love getting paid for what we do, so if we can be honest and up front [that it is better]. If I say I'd never take it and all of a sudden I do it looks stupid on your behalf. I'm just being honest in saying it's not out of the question, and I'd certainly have to think about it."

Warner agreed players from countries where central contracts are dwarfed by those on offer to top Australians would be more susceptible to offers from a rebel league.

The England test and ODI sides are substantially different in personnel these days.

But if the test side shows the same positive attitude, and based on their recent performances in the Caribbean and especially against New Zealand I think they will, then we are in for an entertaining and close run corker of an Ashes series.

I think the Aussies have the best fast bowling attack in the world.

We're very skinny in the batting department however. Warner can

be a bit hit and miss and Rogers isn't even a certainty to play.

Smith is world class but I think Clarke is in decline. The jury is still

out on Voges and Watson is more of a 30 something like player.

Mitch Marsh could be a key if given a go. A lot might depend on our

late middle order of haddin, MJ and hazlewood.

Warner is quoted as saying that “in the past I’ve been someone who’s been told to go out there and do this and do that, but at the end of the day I’ve got to look after myself. If I don’t want to be that instigator, I don’t have to be that instigator.”

“As his captain I can guarantee I’ve never asked him to go and sledge somebody,” Clarke replied.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jun/21/michael-clarke-australia-ashes-aggression-england-sledging

laugh.png

How competitive would a whitewash by either side be?

Though if England achieve it, I wont complain!

England achieve a white wash? As likely as.........

pigs2.jpg

England must be thankful Australia's best spin bowler is Nathan Lyon

I'm looking forward to it, big time!

Anybody any ideas about how to watch on TV/Internet. I have 365sport, so maybe it will be on there?

Aust 4-0 (a wash out 1time surely)!

What's best way to watch our near certain triumph !

Is it on cable or do is a streaming service available.?

I'm not sure where the best links are yet.

I'm hoping Star Sports in India are showing it. You can watch it through their website if they are

There is also these ones who will have links:

http://firstrowsportes.eu/others

http://www.hahasport.com/c-11.html

http://livetv.sx/en/allupcomingsports/41/

http://www.crictime.com/ will have it free.

Australia is very strong in the bowling department.

Lyon and Hazlewood seem certain to get a start,Harris and Johnson would be the others??

Starc would be the one to replace any of them if they are not performing up to scratch or injured.

Watson also picked as an all rounder would expect to bowl. He was probably our best bat in the Ashes series 4 years ago too.

If you can't get live TV coverage, there is always Test Match Special online.

When cricket in the UK was on terrestrial TV I often used to watch with the TV sound off and listen to TMS, but since it moved to satellite they've been out of sync.

Meanwhile: England must not be afraid to lose - Michael Vaughan

Indeed; positive play, do not be deterred when things go wrong and if they do then come back fighting.

We're not going to win every game, but with the right attitude we can win the series.

I bet Kent are happy they won the toss and decided to bowl.

Aussies 3/348 with everyone cashing in.

181 for the first wicket with Rogers making 84 and Marsh 114.

Marsh and Rogers it would seem are figthing each other for the

other opening spot.

I placed this in the Ashes forum as it's a lead up game.

It's a county game against county batters and bowlers.

Don't start counting chickens just yet!

There's no counting of any chickens, but who else can he bowl against?

BTW, I didn't write the headline eitherwink.png

Edit: The player talking about MJ is Rob Key, who did play 15 tests as a batsmen.

It's a county game against county batters and bowlers.

Don't start counting chickens just yet!

There's no counting of any chickens, but who else can he bowl against?

BTW, I didn't write the headline eitherwink.png

Edit: The player talking about MJ is Rob Key, who did play 15 tests as a batsmen.

One of England's better recent ones?

It's good to see the county players talking up Johnson for us and putting some fear into the English player's minds.

My boy Mitch Marsh blasted 101 off 104 balls with his hundred coming off of 93 deliveries

including 12 4's and 5 6's.

I reckon it's line ball between him and Watson for the all rounders spot. A lot will depend on

if Watson is able to bowl.

MM is one of the biggest hitters in world cricket and I could see him doing some real damage

on those small grounds.

My boy Mitch Marsh blasted 101 off 104 balls with his hundred coming off of 93 deliveries

I reckon it's line ball between him and Watson for the all rounders spot. A lot will depend on

MM is one of the biggest hitters in world cricket and I could see him doing some real damage

on those small grounds.

He retired after 100, so could have slogged even more

Shaun marsh to open?

Mitch marsh as the all-rounder?

Any idea why Shaun Marsh didn't open in the second innings?

If Watson cannot bowl, then Mitch would be a better option. When Watson is fit to bowl, he can lock down an end. Mitch is probably a better option anyway.

Might all come down to family connections.

on those small grounds.

He retired after 100, so could have slogged even more

Shaun marsh to open?

Mitch marsh as the all-rounder?

Any idea why Shaun Marsh didn't open in the second innings?

If Watson cannot bowl, then Mitch would be a better option. When Watson is fit to bowl, he can lock down an end. Mitch is probably a better option anyway.

Might all come down to family connections.

To put the rampage in perspective, Marsh reached triple figures by scoring 77 runs in the same time Watson managed five.

I reckon it's Marsh versus Rogers and unless Rogers fails in the next game, I'd be going for Rogers.

I think Marsh has more natural ability than Rogers, but he also has a heart the size of a caraway seed.

At least Rogers will try and tough it out.

Clarke shuffling the order to give everyone a crack.

"Might all come down to family connections"

You're killing me BookManfacepalm.gif

Archived