Deworming Chickens

The shop you buy your chicken feed will also have one or more deworming agents along with medicine and vitamins.

We have never dewormed our birds but maybe i should look into that.

Are your birds free range?

I'm currently haIving a tapeworm problem with my own chickens, and just last week likely lost a hen to tapeworms. I've discovered that the best medication is something with praziquantel in it. The only available meds I've been able to find in Thailand with this in is Drontal for dogs. 1/4 tablet per chicken. Dosed yesterday. Hope this helps. :)

Don't like to hijack a thread....but maybe someone could advise me? I want to use lime in the chicken coop and also make up a limewash. Can someone please tell me the Thai name for the CORRECT type of lime to use...not the stinging type. Many thanks :)

I'm currently haIving a tapeworm problem with my own chickens, and just last week likely lost a hen to tapeworms. I've discovered that the best medication is something with praziquantel in it. The only available meds I've been able to find in Thailand with this in is Drontal for dogs. 1/4 tablet per chicken. Dosed yesterday. Hope this helps. smile.png

Don't like to hijack a thread....but maybe someone could advise me? I want to use lime in the chicken coop and also make up a limewash. Can someone please tell me the Thai name for the CORRECT type of lime to use...not the stinging type. Many thanks smile.png

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm#tape

http://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/tapeworms-and-fluke-in-backyard-fowl

Here are a couple of websites that may help. Tapeworms usually do not require treatment and can be controlled when you treat for coccidiosis. Praziquantel is not licensed for poultry, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be effective. Wormers in general are very hard on the chickens. I would not use meds for other animals or humans as you just can't know what would be an effective dose or if it would work in a different digestive system. DE is effective against all internal and external parasites for poultry. I have been using it in Thailand for about 12 years with good results.

Are you going to use the lime wash to clean your coops between flocks? If you want to control external parasites with he poultry in place it would be better to use DE.

Also, any time you are using meds on poultry make sure you know how many days it is before you can eat the eggs or meat.

Thanks for your reply. :)

I'm wanting the lime for two things....a) to sprinkle around the coop and inside the coop mixed in with the litter, and B) to limewash the inside of the concrete walled coop. Just not sure of the correct lime to buy here.

I often use 'off label' meds with my chickens and have never had any problems. Although, I don't just randomly use stuff, I do check it out carefully first. See this thread for info.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/934451/uuugghhh-constant-worms-it-seems

I've been receiving personal help from one of the long-standing and experienced chicken breeders on this forum.

Hope this is helpful for others. :)

the granddad used creosote and sprayed it around brooder house each year with new order of chiks before arrival of new chicks, he did not worry about layers he had they did not hang around to watch.