Big Impact Expected From Tougher Visa Rules

OK so there is just too much information to weed through here, can anyone tell me...

Do the new 'rules' start from October 1st onwards? In other words, I have been here for four months already and I am due to go to the border on Friday, so obviously I will be OK that time. When October comes around and I go again, will that count as stamp number 1 and I will have 90 days from that stamp, as long as I dont leave the country in that time.

OR would you suggest that I go to an embassy and get a multiple entry visa for longer this month?

Any help is appreciated!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so there is just too much information to weed through here, can anyone tell me...

Do the new 'rules' start from October 1st onwards? In other words, I have been here for four months already and I am due to go to the border on Friday, so obviously I will be OK that time. When October comes around and I go again, will that count as stamp number 1 and I will have 90 days from that stamp, as long as I dont leave the country in that time.

OR would you suggest that I go to an embassy and get a multiple entry visa for longer this month?

Any help is appreciated!

Go back and read the posts. Yes, as of Oct. 1st, 3 stamps (or border runs) and your out for 3.5 months unless you get a visa.

If they were one third of the way smart, they would simply let the falang fo to immig and pay a few hundred B to extend.

Instead of causing more traffic, more wasted fuel [so much for "energy policy"] and making the Burmese and Lao rich.

I guess we file this under "not smart enough."

On the contary, The Thais are being very smart. A poster mentioned about the advertising abroad, this is exactly the point. Thailand wants foreign people in thailand, or rather they want foreign investment....the average sex tourist who does a 30 day run isnt the sort of person that LOS wants.

On the other hand, a businessman who wants to legitimately set up a company that pays taxes and employs Thai personnel is welcome via a work permit.

I can see their point. Someone who has been in Thailand for 5 years on continious 30 day stamps does not bring money into the country and in all honesty is more than likely working illegaly....

The smaller issues is that of those people under 50 who have more than enough money to support themselves but are not ledgable for a retirement visa - This is where the Thai's should change the law.....but at the end of the day, its THEIR country.

One point, very personnal because it's my situation:

I live in Thailand since 01/2002, with a tourist visa (monthly run).

I do work, but not illegaly, I do out sourcing work by internet. The reason is simple, even if I created a company (I did in 2003 and still pay Taxes on it at LamLuka taxe office) I am not entitled to a WP because I do not hire 4 thais. I also precise I tried to hire thais people, but obviously they were not willing to work with the hight stress that out sourcing IT work give usually.

So, yes that steps by the authorities can be a good one (clean a little bit the country from the shitbags who stay only because the beer is cheap and the girls hot), on the oither hand, mostly those shitbags pay, I mean they have money from outside Thailand, obviously they are not able to work too tired by f**** the girls and to drunk by the beers they drink.

The problem, and it's not a immediate problem, is I am not the only one by now to do 'out sourcing', several peoples/small companies are doing so. Thailand was the right place, internet was okie, life cost was okie too and it was possible to compete on this sector with the indians (same price but european/us work process). The soler results will be to push us to another neiborought countries (Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia ....). As our investment in harware are small and mobile, move is easy and noting will be left in thailand (a firm that move somewhere else will let the buildings, eventually a plant/fabric and the skills knowledges the local workers have acquires ... alll in one it's easy to re run the business in those conditions .... for IT , it's totally opposite, skills and knowledge can be aquires, but the will to work 15, 18 or more hours , and I mean work not time spend to chat).

I do agree it will not at first be a huge amount of money (btw us I earn about 50/60 k a month) but it's money who was spend integrally here, and as it out source, it mean foreigh currency. The other problem is the technology transfert. Rather than keep up the level of the thai programmers, it will at the end simply keep up the level of www.sanook.com. Last problem, my clients are my clients not because I am able to copy sanook.com with different colors (a kid of 10 can do it), but because some specials knowledge or skills. So even if some new thais coders try to get my market, they will have to show what they can do ....

Anyway, I am going to check the house renting in Vietiame and neighborought (I like Laos)

Roxannnnnnnnne

Roxy------

You would qualify for a non-imm-multi-Bissued elsewhere

There is even a chance that if you set your Biz up correctly that you could get a WP

Edited by jdinasia

Any help is appreciated!

As I understand it: yes, the clock begins Oct. 1. At least I hope so, since i'm in the same boat: already have a couple stamps in my passport.

And it won't be 90 days, it'll be sixty if you're already in Thailand on October 1, since you'll have 2 stamps already by the end of October. One way to add a little time to your stay in Thailand would be to do your visa run on Oct. 1 (instead of whenever it normally would have been in October), then you'll until the end of November to stay.

Either way, seems to me that all the visa runners will be out of Thailand by the end of November.

There are too many posts on too many threads on this subject now.

Has the main area of ambuiguity been sorted out, namely in any six month period can a tourist stay for ninety days in total regardless of the number of VOA entries or is there a definite limit of three entries/stamps during that time?

Sorry if a definitive answer has already been provided.

Edited by madmitch

[

From October 1, tourists from the 41 visa-exempt countries may still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but they will only be able to extend their stay here two times - that is, for a maximum of 90 days.

So if this IS true...3 times.....it could present a real problem for people travelling in S.E.Asia and hoping to make Bkk their "HUB"......

If you stay for one day in Bkk then fly ou to another country, come back to Bkk stay for another day.....come back one more time and that's it....no more entry to Bkk (without a visa) for 90 days and you've only been in the country for a matter of hours!

You guys are forgetting that this does not apply to airport arrivals. Arrive at any Thai international airport and your stamps will not be scrutinized.

They are only after the land crawling - stay ten minutes in cambo and come back in - visa runners.

This was mentioned two or three times earlier or somewhere I dunno anymore.

w.

~

You guys are forgetting that this does not apply to airport arrivals. Arrive at any Thai international airport and your stamps will not be scrutinized.

They are only after the land crawling - stay ten minutes in cambo and come back in - visa runners.

w.

~

It has also been mentioned a number of times that airport entries DO indeed count. So which is it? Who really knows? Logically, they would count. You can also air crawl, by flying to Singapore and back same day. Whats the difference??????

In all these thread including quotes from newspapers I have still to read what exactly the new rules are.

Anyone who knows should comment, all the rest is a distraction.

:o

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=112941

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=112920

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/16...es_30013796.php

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=83253&hl=

enough ??

:D

Everyone of these is equally imcomplete and ambiguous.

Sunbelt started this, so it would be helpful if they could create a table, showing all the possibilities, and then have a naive English speaking person proof-read it for inconsistencies and ambiguities.

There are more than a few posts here that contradict themselves. :D

In all these thread including quotes from newspapers I have still to read what exactly the new rules are.

Anyone who knows should comment, all the rest is a distraction.

:o

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=112941

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=112920

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/16...es_30013796.php

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=83253&hl=

enough ??

:D

Everyone of these is equally imcomplete and ambiguous.

Sunbelt started this, so it would be helpful if they could create a table, showing all the possibilities, and then have a naive English speaking person proof-read it for inconsistencies and ambiguities.

There are more than a few posts here that contradict themselves. :D

Sorry, make that native English speaking.... They already have enough of the former

Any help is appreciated!

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR THE VISA DETAILS ITSELF!

If people want to find out the details look in other threads. This thread is about the impact on Thailand.

Was it Blam who said something was a little off topic? I think its ok as the impact is a wide understanding of everything going on here.

w.

~

And to you... You just dont get it.. you dont know what you are talking about.

Do you think Thailand is after you because you are a visa runner?

No they are not. They are after something else, criminals or whatever.

The thing is they are not doing it the right way. Their announcment is done wrong and raise insecurity among people. Not only foreigners but to thai people also. This is a third world announcement of good caliber!

If they went out and said, "There are some new rules for tourists to follow... bla bla bla... You are still able to stay here all year around but we want you in a system which allows us to run check-up`s on certain people if we find that necessarry. The present system being used gives us no chance to do so."

I disagree on how they are doing it. A plan could have been drafted to benefit thailand much better.

30 days extensions should be available inside of Thailand, not free of cost.

They could have made a system which said every 6 month, 6 th entry or similar, the tourist visa process will take you 2 working days.

Thiis would just be examples but would make it better for everyone involved,

foreigners (more easy),

thai people (higher income for Thailand),

immigration ( able to run check-up`s )

Edited by F1 Visa Runner

Good posts hotgeekus, Col. Mustard, ramidin, bendix, and others who realize that true tourists are much better for a country than a bunch of people who are just a zigzag away from being refused entry.

We are ALL guests and visitors. Don't blame Thailand for enforcing ANY policy they care to invoke. You won't find any Thais in your country telling people how to run things.

Why hasn't this policy change been in the Thai press? Because 90% of Thai people couldn't care less. It's a non-item. They have their King, their culture, their family, their religion, and many other domestic problems, such as the violence in the South to be concerned with.

The effect on the actual tourist industry will be very VERY small.

I, for one, think things will improve for regular tourists. Mainly prices will go down after a period I would say. I know... I'm a moron or a Russian (let's go chug a bottle of vodka 'ay bendix ol' commerad?).

Vast stretches of Thailand may remain undeveloped and more pleasing to the true tourist who comes here for Thai culture, authentic food, and rustic beauty. Not high-rise condos jammed willy-nilly in every available space.

Just look at what has happened in Pattaya, Phuket, Samui in the last 20 years. They are zoos now with foreigners in the cages, that's all. Surely tourists don't come halfway around the world to see that.

As for the new rules. Easy.

Don't try to live here and pretend to be a tourist. Get the proper visa. If you can't get the proper visa, then Thailand doesn't want you living here. Just like any other country. Nothing to do with the current buzz word "xenophobia". Come back and visit anytime and you will be welcomed.

You have a condo? Lotsa people have condos in foreign countries all over the world for vacations and only go to them a month or so out of the year. They aren't complaining. err, maybe they are complaining but they still own them and go to them. You are surely welcome to visit your Thai condo anytime as long as you spend most of your time living elsewhere.

The main reason I am posting this is because I am sure this forum is monitored by Thai Immigration officials and certainly the English press here and elsewhere. So many other posts degrade and belittle and disrespect this lovely country. Including the guy half a dozen pages back who referred to it as "Land Of Sh*t". Wouldn't that make you angry if you were a Thai?

Others call Thai people stupid or at least naive. Others imply that bribery of officials will be the order of the day. Thais are lazy, money grubbing, etc. etc. This kind of thing is very unfair to the 50 million other Thai people you haven't met personally.

Please guys... Just concern yourself with what kind of visa you should try for and how to go about getting it. Face the truth. Act like a responsible person who values his time here and don't run down Thailand.

'nuff said

Quick question. Can you speak Thai? I can; and have been non-stop talking about this to Thais for the past few days, all of whom are horrified by the reality of this. If you cannot speak Thai and therefore have not actually been discussing matters with real Thais (that cannot speak English), then shut up. Enough said is the actual spelling

Perfectly stated Andrew. I don't think he will shut up, but it would be nice. Enough said.

Perhaps I've missed something in this enormous thread, but isn't the solution simply to just purchase a visa in your country of origin prior to coming to Thailand? From what I read it appears that the problem that is being seen by the Thai government is persons arriving (legally) with no visa with the intent of remaining for a long period of time. If ones intent is to remain for extended periods, it is very simple to obtain a proper visa in their home country, which can then easily be extended after arrival. The VOA system appears to allow undesirables a means of entry which makes them harder to track down by their home countries in cases where they might be considered fugitives.

If you really want to find something to complain about, look at the requirements for applying for 1 year visa extentions, and mull them over.

In short, get a visa first and then come visit and no problems should be encountered.

There are too many posts on too many threads on this subject now.

Has the main area of ambuiguity been sorted out, namely in any six month period can a tourist stay for ninety days in total regardless of the number of VOA entries or is there a definite limit of three entries/stamps during that time?

Sorry if a definitive answer has already been provided.

No Mitch, from what I gather, if I tourist arrives on Oct 1 and goes to Mae Sai and spends the night. Then on Oct 2 he pops across the border to do some shopping, comes back and on Oct 3 he pops across the border again to grab more stuff he forgot then he cant come back till April 1. please correct me if that's not what the rules say. each entry=30 days regardless of duration and 3 entries per 6 months are allowed. unlike what earlier people said where immi is going to somehow add up the days to equal 90 per 6 months on unlimited entries. This is going to end of being a nightmare for many legit tourists

w.

~

Haven't seen that in black and white so please do provide. Oh you can't, I didn't think so. You're just trying to blow smoke up everyone's arse

I'm very very bored of this subject now :-)

From what posts of yours I have read, you'll never be half as bored as anyone reading what you have to say. Not sure what your interest is on this subject matter. You only are antagonizing those affected by the changes. I'm sure that if people here had access to an ignore feature which your ID would be at the top of the list

Edited by Beavis and Butthead

w.

~

Haven't seen that in black and white so please do provide. Oh you can't, I didn't think so. You're just trying to blow smoke up everyone's arse

Yeah Sunbelt clarified this a little while back to say airport arrivals without a visa will receive a waiver stamp that counts toward the 3 in 180 rule.

We've been herer before, some Thai buearacrat stands up on his soapbox and makes an announcement without due consultation to all parties regarding the real impact, and lax law enforcement means it never gets effectively followed through. Calls made by a Thai friend last week to the CHiang Mai immigration department, TAT office and tourist police revealed that non of them knew anything about it - says alot for the organisational structure doesn't it.

Here's what I predict will happen;

1. Those who could afford to get the money together and paperwork in order to get a non-imm visa will

2. Those who can barely afford to fly home to get a decent visa will go elsewhere (Cambodia, Philippines), and frankly, Thailand can do without them.

3. Those who are in a position to take advantage of the situation by accepting bribes to 'overlook' the 3 visa renewals, will.

4. The overal tourist spend in Thailand will barely register a dip.

5. Within a couple of years they will announce similar tightening on issuing non-imm visas again and again to the same people.

It will all come out in the wash, some people will find themselves without tenants and regular customers but it will be a marginal impact on the greater economy. As always, those determined to stay here will get more resourceful, schools will provide letters for non-imm visas (without actually apply eventually for the wp), in order to keep teachers.

Remember, the opinions mostly expressed in this string are from those who typicall survive on visa runs, they are but a fraction of the foreigners living here and a mere blimp on the 12 million tourists who visit Thailand every year.

Thailand might be a 'budget kind of place attracting budget kinds of people' but I think they have every right to get strict.

Sounds about right.

Increasing scrutiny of marriages between foreigners and Thais.

"We will check whether they are really in love or not," Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, the head of the department, said at a news conference.

"We want real tourists, not fake tourists," Suwat said.

Dear Miss Manners,

How do you check whether people are really in love or not ? People in love have real orgasms and people not in love fake orgasms ?

Confused in Chiang Mai

My guess is that most of you people on this board do not speak Thai, if you do, maybe you can handle a fifty word vocabulary at best. I am not flaming you with my posts I am trying to make you understand the bottom line, maybe with a sense of humor. But Thai level, here it is:

If you spoke Thai you would understand that most of this country no longer supports the schitzophrenic movement of the Thai Rak Thai ruling party, no they don't, not any more. The extra judicial murders (known 4000, 10k is the accepted figure) during the cessation of ya-ba days was a shock to the Thai sensibilty. The corrupt construction contracts in the North were something they were used to, but 4 superhiways around a city that only needed one? Thai/Chinese contractors? Yep, they wonder a lot about that. (Thaksin is Thai/Chinese) The election commitee tampering, where 4 TRT supporters go to jail for not investigating fraud? The non payment of a massive amount of income tax by the Shinawatras? And of course, the switching of local military control to police control in the south, creating the bipolar effect we have now, i.e. bombs. (Thaksin is a big believer in police control, after all he is a 30 year cop.)

TRT has screwed up this country. If you need some correction on what the Thais think: this country IS NOT RUN BY THE THAI PEOPLE, it is run by Thai Rak Thai party. TRT is getting away with everything it wants without portfolio, and when something doesn't go their way they blame the press or the farangs. End of story. TRT vote buying strategies are already in place in all of the poor tambons in the country, because of this they will most probably win again. Thai people would not want you to know how it works, but there it is. People vote with their wallets 100% of the time.

Now. Tell me, who will buy the new condos in Chiang Mai and Phuket that Thaksin directly supported? Who is going to plunk down 10 million baht ($250,000 US) in hard currency for a retirement home w/visa in a schiziod and questionably controlled 'developing country? Big ideas, big plans, but hello they aren't selling, and the bathrooms are going to rust to rot before anyone is going to buy into this mess.

When you guys bloat up and start talking about the Thais want it this way, and the Thais want it that way... if you don't speak Thai, you know nothing of what you speak. You do however know what the ruling party wants, you know that for sure. Everyone I talk to, every one I know all over the country is sick and tired of the control issue. The educated Thai population wants Thai Rak Thai out, and out now. This visa issue is not a big thing, but it is ANOTHER thing that the Thai population is not happy about.

So, that's what it's all about here, control. Learn Thai, stop blither blathering with your farang buddies, stop pretending to know, TALK to the THAI people here. Educate yourselves on reality. And again... bendix and nuffsaid, stop it, just stop. Your high and mighty rhetoric is best served in your own homes. You don't have a clue what is really going on at ground level Thailand and you probably never will.

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

You are certainly correct about who wants the TRT out of power.

Increasing scrutiny of marriages between foreigners and Thais.

"We will check whether they are really in love or not," Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, the head of the department, said at a news conference.

"We want real tourists, not fake tourists," Suwat said.

Of course these problems are all caused by tourists and unwanted visitors, the Thai women and men are dragged off to the registry office where they are held down by their suitor and the marriage takes place.

The land is being rapped by the tourists and property developers who use all mean tricks to con the Thais into accepting unrealistic amounts for their beach front sites.

Sorry but the non Thais are not the only ones causing these problems, they are not FORCED into these positions .

I agree this country needs tax from the workers and a tighter control on visitors but the non Thais are NOT the majority of the population.

Unfortunatly and country that lets a political figure avoid TAX to the degree this one has does not have the bassis for sound judgement and correct decissions.

Suwat denied the crackdown was related to the arrest in Bangkok last month of John Mark Karr, the American teacher who was thought to have been involved in the high-profile JonBenet Ramsey murder case. He said there were many reasons that extended back for a long period.

ok so let me get this straight if this is not about the high profile case of john mark karr,and only about foreigners who don't pay taxes then why not charge these guy's tax everytime they cross the border??also they keep on saying that they want to keep bad people away from thailand.who also thought that all these "bad people"they refer to are border crossers?i mean shit john mark karr had a work permit right?he didn't cross the border every 30 days.

they also blame foreigners who work illegaly in thailand,how bout u guys blame them guys who hire these workers who pays a slave ass salary??i mean most of this thai businesses/businessman can't afford to pay for their employees work permits.i used to teach in a province before and there's a big shortage of teachers back there,but most of these schools don't have enough funds to pay for our work permit so i left.i guess they won't see the impact of this law now but give it a few months time maximum a year there and then we can only say mai pen rai.

I see this post has changed dramatically! Anyway, in a email I received from the Chiang Mai expiates club, Allan Hall has this to say…

THE SITUATION AS IT STANDS REGARDING VISA

1. Retirement Visa extension. If you have a foreign married spouse

who is a dependent they will be able to get this dependent visa. (

change of what has been happing the last couple weeks in Bangkok)

Example: You are 52 years old and you have a 34 year old wife who is

from Germany, she can be a dependent. You only need 800,000 or a

pension of 65,000 Baht per month as a couple.

2. Retirement visa extension: If you have children under 20. They

will no longer be able to get a dependent visa based on you having an

extension of stay on retirement. Immigration wants these kids to get

it based on education so they go to school.

3. Investment Visa extension: Will no longer be available after Oct

1st for new applicants on 3 million Baht.

4. Investment visa extension. For existing extension of stay holders

of 3 million Baht, we are now being told this will now be

grandfathered in and they will be able to get the extension forever

as long as they renew.

5. Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards

and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new

regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival or a Tourist Visa

Exemption more than three times in six months, you cannot come into

Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter

Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days.

If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If

you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When

you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming

back with a visa. The reason given is to force people who are

supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

Another example; you arrive for a week, this counts as 30 days, One

month later 3 days and its 30 days, two months later and its for a

two week period, still another 30 days. You can reenter Thailand in 6

weeks without having a visa.

The clock starts at zero on Oct 1st 2006, meaning everyone has a

quota of three entries in the next six months. No matter how many

previous entries you may have.

6. On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage

visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would

get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return to Immigration in

30 days you would get the one year extension.

Now however it will be the same as an extension of stay based on

business, with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps instead

of one stamp( like before). Immigration will go out and check to see

if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

For existing marriage visa holders, if they still have not checked

the marriage residence in the second year, the same multiple 30 day

consideration stamps, may apply before they issue the extension of

stay.

Your best choice is to obtain a multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa

which valid for 12 months. With this visa type you will need to exit

and enter Thailand at least every 90 days to get a new entry stamp

allowing you to stay a further 90 days.

If you utilize your visa the last time just before it expires, you

will get an extra 3 months "bonus", so the total validity will be

nearly 15 months.

You will probably NOT get a Multiple entry visa in neighboring

countries, your best chance of getting it is in your home country

before you arrive in Thailand.

Thai consulates in US, Europe and Australia seem to be the most

generous. The smaller consulates in Australia are the nearest and the

easiest, and air tickets to there are cheaper than to Europe or US. A

return ticket from Bangkok to Australia can be bought for less than

15,000 Baht with Air Asia (September 2006).

The Royal Thai Consulates in Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth in

Australia issue Multiple entry visas, as per September, 2006, we are

informed.

If you are married to a Thai citizen, you can easily get a multiple

entry visa in Penang. Bring your Thai marriage certificate in

original (and one copy)

Best Advice for anyone who is unsure is to speak with a lawyer.

Alan Hall

Chiangmai Expats Club - Expats helping Expats

Thank you for this. I am interested with your part about the resetting of the clock. "The clock starts at zero on Oct 1st 2006, meaning everyone has a

previous entries you may have." This is at odds with previous statements on the matter and has serious reprocussions for all and on the effect on Thailand. Does anyone (Sunbelt?) have any clarification on this.

Hi there,

I dunno if you can help me clear the situation on the new tourist Visa matters.

I have been in/out Thailand for more than 5 times the last 6 mths for meetings. This saturday, I need to go out to Malaysia and come back again to Thailand on Monday. I will be staying only for a week and then go back home to Malaysia for good (after the meetings is over).

If this new policy is starting on Oct 1, does that means I should not have any problems at the immigration upon arrival on Monday ? Btw, I am holding a return tix.

Thanks much !

I see this post has changed dramatically! Anyway, in a email I received from the Chiang Mai expiates club, Allan Hall has this to say…

THE SITUATION AS IT STANDS REGARDING VISA

Best Advice for anyone who is unsure is to speak with a lawyer.

Alan Hall

Chiangmai Expats Club - Expats helping Expats

Thank you for this. I am interested with your part about the resetting of the clock. "The clock starts at zero on Oct 1st 2006, meaning everyone has a

previous entries you may have." This is at odds with previous statements on the matter and has serious reprocussions for all and on the effect on Thailand. Does anyone (Sunbelt?) have any clarification on this.

LOL. If I'm not mistaken, the Chiangmai Expats Club just plagiarized that from Sunbelt who posted it here last week. So obviously Sunbelt would confirm it being they wrote it to begin with.

The large number of replies and may worries are not surprising.

However, don't forget that Thailand's immigration laws have laways been very loosely applied.

It is possible for instance to stay in the US indefinitely, by making visa runs to Canada or Mexico.

And how about in Europe?

In most developed countries a stay for tourism purposes may not exceed 90 days in each period of 180 days, or no more than 180 days per year.

IMO (and that of immigration in many countries) anyone staying longer than that period is no longer a tourist, but a resident. Anyone stying in within the europen Union for more than 180 days is considered a resident for tax purposes.

The current rule tightens only the 30 days on arrival permission to stay, but it will not surprise me if the same will soon apply to all form of tourist stay.

The effect to Thailand's economy will be very marginal. But it will affect many that have lived here as permament tourists.

More Analysis.

After talking with a few people on the phone and in person, the more I feel the following. Please be open minded on this as only a few pieces of the puzzle are in place.

First: According to Sunbelt the law has been on the books from about 2001. My feeling is once the Thais passed it they started to look at it more closely and saw the negatives outweighed the positives (Translation insanity), so they just put it in the shelf and let it gather dust.

Second: If you look at countries that have a bit of turmoil going on, typically they like to limit the number of eyes so they can do what they plan to do. We have seen this very recently in the Middle East with Iraq and now Iran. I am sure there are more but I think you know where I am going with this. History has shown this type of action (getting foreigners out of the country) precedes some sort of action that they prefer the world not see.

Third: Non of this has hit the Thai press. News like this should be front page. Translation keeping the Thais blind.

Fourth: The John Karr issue was just an excuse to invoke this law. The same as the fake car bomb was an excuse to start cleaning house. Same plot just different elements.

Fifth: It has been suggested that Thaksin would stage a coup if he felt he was going to be forced out, so the military moved all he key man to impotent posts to remove that possibility. Thaksin just put them back in posts that he could take over the military.

Sixth: Thaksin has suggested that he may drop out. I simply see this as luring a false sense of security. I know he has too much to lose if he drops out, so any comment to that effect is just deception.

Seventh: I feel it is well within Thaksin thinking to have acceptable financial losses in Thailand because of this exodus. He personally would experience minimal loses with most of the losses going to the working class who don’t like him anyway.

Eighth: The timing of this law coincides with legal action against him, elections, and the potential that the TRT will be dissolved.

Based on this I now feel that this law is being enacted because Thaksin plans to use the military to insure his position as leader of Thailand, however I am not sure what title he will choose.

I invite your views on this. Unfortunately for all of us I have been right much more than I have been wrong.