AOT to investigate how handgun sneaked through security check at Suvarnabhumi airport

webfact

The story is bigger than just this stupid ex cop.

flagged Thailand after it failed to meet a deadline to address a significant safety concern about how air operators are certified.

Analysts say that move could prompt further scrutiny by aviation bodies in the United States and Europe as well as make it harder for Thai airlines to find insurance or lease new aircraft.

Prayut has vowed to meet the ICAOs demands.

Comronwits detention also comes a fortnight after five Thais were detained at Lahore airport in Pakistan after one of them tried to board a plane with a pistol and ammunition.

So far they had not been linked to any insurgent groups in Thailand.

While Japanese police do carry guns, Japan has very strict firearms control laws and few people possess weapons or have come into contact with them.

Thailands police are armed and the country has one of Asias highest gun murder rates.

source http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/06/japan-police-arrest-ex-bangkok-police-chief-for-gun-possession/

Edited by Jay Sata

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inquiry Ordered on BKK Airport for Allegedly Failing to Spot Ex-Cop's Handgun
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK – Bangkok’s largest international airport is under investigation for potentially allowing a former police commander to carry a handgun past a security checkpoint last week.

According to Thai officials, former Bangkok police chief Kamronwit Thoopkrachang left Suvarnabhumi Airport on a Thai Airways flight to Japan on 18 June, and was arrested four days later in Tokyo’s Narita Airport when security officers discovered a firearm in his bag. He is currently in the custody of Japanese police, Thai officials said.

Junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha said today that Suvarnabhumi airport staff are now under investigation to determine whether they failed to spot the handgun when Kamronwit passed through the airport on 18 June.

"There has to be an investigation about how he went through the inspection, whether he was granted any exception, and whether he went through any X-Ray machine," Gen. Prayuth told reporters this morning. "They are investigating the incident. If they are guilty, then they are guilty. What else do you want from me?"

Thai Defense minister Prawit Wongsuwan also confirmed that security officers are investigating the airport staff for a possible inspection slip-up.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435137241

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-24

You can bet the foreign countries that have the safety of Thailand's air system under review will take note of this... coffee1.gif

"A reporter also asked Gen Prayuth whether this incident will affect the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) opinion on the safety standards in Thai airports.

Gen. Prayuth replied angrily, "No, it doesn't have anything to do with that. Don't write about that and mix the two issues. This is about smuggling forbidden items on an aircraft, and we are investigating it.”

Edited by sfokevin

Well worth a read of the Khaosod link sound's like the pressure is getting to the great leader again with his anger and snotty replies are shining through once more, not quite sure he is cut out for politics.....

I think I prefer his style to the previous PM's. Hers would have been something like " Waffle, waffle waffle.........I am the PM of this country................waffle, waffle waffle..............I was out of the country at the time...........waffle, waffle waffle............investigation run its course............waffle, waffle waffle...........appointing Chalerm to oversee the investigation..........waffle, waffle waffle...........report back............waffle, waffle waffle.............thank you (3 times)." Big smile.

he is police, public police figure, probably carries for protection, easy to forget I imagine. how is this such big news.

In the real world, people in positions of authority such as military and police, are held responsible for the proper use, transport and storage of their weapons. Saying that you forgot you had it just doesn't cut it with nations that have a security service, at airports, that has integrity and responsibility, something sadly lacking in present day Thailand apparently..

Perhaps anyone carrying drugs can use this excuse. "Oh, heck, sorry, I didn't remember that I had a kilo of heroin in my bag, silly me."

Put this <deleted> through the wringer.

BTW it 's such big news because he's a 'big wig' in the RTP and should have known better.

From the article it says he was in Japan with a delegation of 80 Thai officials to view a Japanese waste treatment plant...

So my guess there was a BUNCH of VIP Thais walked thru Suvarnabhumi without any security check whatsoever... coffee1.gif

...set up a committee....

...when will they report....after he retires....???

...people have no idea what AOT gets away with.....

...do you want a list......

...and I have asked time and again.....who is overseeing them........

Well worth a read of the Khaosod link sound's like the pressure is getting to the great leader again with his anger and snotty replies are shining through once more, not quite sure he is cut out for politics.....

I think I prefer his style to the previous PM's. Hers would have been something like " Waffle, waffle waffle.........I am the PM of this country................waffle, waffle waffle..............I was out of the country at the time...........waffle, waffle waffle............investigation run its course............waffle, waffle waffle...........appointing Chalerm to oversee the investigation..........waffle, waffle waffle...........report back............waffle, waffle waffle.............thank you (3 times)." Big smile.

Oh thanks for that, just what we need when we are discussing the great leaders anger issues and the possibility that he perhaps aint best suited to politics, very useful....

I have got to say though that I cannot understand you apologists fascination with the Shin's as the military have been <deleted> up this country for decades all by themselves and without any help and it don't look like anything is going to change any time soon...

Do you feel better now you got something about the Shins into the subject?

The authorities may also care to consider that this civilian was walking around, or at least in possession, of an unlicensed firearm. A Thai policeman is a civilian in Japan. A Thai firearms permit is not valid in Japan. You would think that a policeman should know that.

Oh thanks for that, just what we need when we are discussing the great leaders anger issues and the possibility that he perhaps aint best suited to politics, very useful....

I have got to say though that I cannot understand you apologists fascination with the Shin's as the military have been <deleted> up this country for decades all by themselves and without any help and it don't look like anything is going to change any time soon...

Actually, that's what you decided to discuss, but you don't like comparisons? And while you think the military have been damaging the country for decades, the last decade plus has been down to those I shouldn't discuss IMHO.

Back to airport security?

The authorities may also care to consider that this civilian was walking around, or at least in possession, of an unlicensed firearm. A Thai policeman is a civilian in Japan. A Thai firearms permit is not valid in Japan. You would think that a policeman should know that.

According to Prayuth, he is no longer a policeman but an ordinary civilian in Thailand.

You.re the one banging on about The Generals reaction at a press conference when by far the most significant piece of news to be garnered from this OP is that there is an investigation been implemented into how a (red shirt aligned see photo) cop carried a loaded handgun through Swampys world class security systems and bearing in mind the political allegiances of this cop and your boringly predictable sarcastic "great leader's anger issues" comments the other poster was entirely justified in his quite funny comments regarding what would have happened if the previous red shirt aligned Govt's representative had been in the same position and given her version of a press conference. One thing he may have got wrong ".thank you (3 times)." Big smile" in my opinion it would have been Boo Hoo Hoo we are so sorry

From the article it says he was in Japan with a delegation of 80 Thai officials to view a Japanese waste treatment plant...

So my guess there was a BUNCH of VIP Thais walked thru Suvarnabhumi without any security check whatsoever... coffee1.gif

Pray tell, what has an ex-copper got to do with waste water treatment plants. Maybe we might have sewage plant operators attending brain surgery seminars in the near future.

Pray tell, what has an ex-copper got to do with waste water treatment plants. Maybe we might have sewage plant operators attending brain surgery seminars in the near future.

Well they do say that "where there's muck there's money", and as a senior policeman sniffing out money is a priority occupation.......

You.re the one banging on about The Generals reaction at a press conference when by far the most significant piece of news to be garnered from this OP is that there is an investigation been implemented into how a (red shirt aligned see photo) cop carried a loaded handgun through Swampys world class security systems and bearing in mind the political allegiances of this cop and your boringly predictable sarcastic "great leader's anger issues" comments the other poster was entirely justified in his quite funny comments regarding what would have happened if the previous red shirt aligned Govt's representative had been in the same position and given her version of a press conference. One thing he may have got wrong ".thank you (3 times)." Big smile" in my opinion it would have been Boo Hoo Hoo we are so sorry

Did you read the Khoasod piece??? seems very evident to me that the guy is not the best when faced with honest questions from the press, if he cannot keep his cool then god help him if he is ever up against it

Seems pretty clear to me the great man aint so great at this politics malarkey but I do not recall YS being in the news that often after telling the press what they can and cant print or threatening them with violence which seems to be a daily occurrence with the present leader

I personally don't give a monkeys who or what any of them are aligned with in my opinion all three of them are scumbags but all this constant Shin's this, Shin's that crap is very tedious, can't you junta kiss asses and apologists not see that a coup every few years for decades every time the Hi So's get a bit twitchy aint the answer

Reading the story from the Fuji News network he claimed he had forgotten that he had put the loaded gun in his 'medicine pouch'

which in turn was in his carry on luggage!

Would that be the same sort of medicine pouch Chalerm carried?

He quite clearly had this loaded weapon on him during his stay in Japan and was no doubt expecting to be waved through security at Narita with a nod and a smile the Thai way.