Phuket police nab Colombian car breakers

webfact

I am still trying to ascertain what this case is all about is it about theft from a vehicle or is it about passport forgery ? no doubt I will be enlightened in the near future .

Why wait, extra extra, READ all about it!

They have a good article on Thai Visa:

Here is the link!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/835371-phuket-police-nab-colombian-car-breakers/?utm_source=newsletter-20150624-1430&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Enjoy!

Well i'll be !

Congratulations to the Thai Police, hopefully the other two will be knabbed soon enough..... Just goes to show what the Thai Police can do, ( When they're allowed to, island families not involved of course)........ I'd like to see some stolen goods as well though, and the finger pointing session as well........ Bravo ! Let's solve some murder cases now...........

Well done to the Thai police for catching two of the suspects.

Plenty of people on TV calling it petty crime not exactly world breaking news....... so what, a crime was committed the suspect has been apprehended its a good result. Its bad enough dealing with petty theft from locals never mind falang.

Lets see the other people involved captured.

Petty Theft?

Lived in Thailand 5 years...

So far;

(1) had my wallet returned at a cafe.

(2) had my phone returned at my condo.

(3) had a driver come all the way back to our condo to return my wife's (rather expensive) glasses.

(4) had a drive at 2:00 AM correct my mistake and point out that I gave him 2,000 Baht instead of 200 ...

(5) had a (rather poor) 16 year old run a city block chasing me to return a 50 baht note I dropped getting out my phone.

(6) had the guy in line behind me remind me I left my ATM card in the slot.

I have never had a friend report any items missing, just more stories like mine.

Now, I live in Bangkok, perhaps it is different where you are? But may I say, that the conventional wisdom is that petty theft is more common in the big cities around the world.

And I am not trolling here ... have you personally been the victim of theft, or any trusted friends .. or are you just sort of ... ummm... guessing? Where and what was lost?

it is the good things like these events that compels me to be one of those "Thai Lovers" who resents negative generalizations .. or Thai bashing. Some times I go over board and am trying to tone it down.

Nor saying that "bashing' is the case here, perhaps your luck has been the opposite from mine.

May I ask, if you have lost things, where do you live and what was stolen?

Wow sorry to say but you seem careless w your things to forget them that much in a span of only five years;p

I believe this is a follow up article from the one where a Thai citizen video these creeps creeping around the carpark.

And so many TVers said "oh where is that they break into the car"! Obviously they did huh?

And obviously the RTP held back the real video.

Haha you wa..ers!

As such its good news.

Who cares if the title to the page is not "what is preferred"!

Weirdo. Why would they hold back the video of them breaking into the can yet show them all walking past a car? They don't have video of them doing the crime Numpty Nuddy. The speculation surrounding the first article of this was skeptical at best. Just because there have been some developments in the case does not mean everyone is stupid for not foreseeing them. Clown

No, he is right. Neatly everybody was claiming 'insurance scam' and ' nothing suspicious there', but they all seem to be proven wrong. Edited by stevenl

Apologies, I think it's British sense of humour ( tricky to understand ) getting in the way of what you thought was a good story. I thought it was a bit cheesy - it's what you would expect anywhere in the world.

This is a moment for me ... I get to use the same sentence twice, with two different meanings. Since it is American humor, I will translate.

You really need to get out more. (Your joke is not funny)

You really need to get out more. (In no way shape or form is this a story you wold "expect to find anywhere in the world")

No worries ... all in fun ... have a good day ... sorry this story could not just get a "thumbs up" from you.

(Let us know how that trip to Calcutta goes after you look away from your luggage for 15 seconds)

You are not getting it- I thought your original comment was a sarcastic comment to a rather irrelevant post- I have apologised.

I have no plans at the moment to go to Calcutta- are you implying that all Indian citizens are thieves? Then of course explain why a couple of friends last month lost their luggage from the bus they were travelling in to Khorat?

After you have lived in the Kingdom as a foreigner for a few years - you learn to trust very few people- example need a new tyre for your car- always ask your partner, wife, boyfriend, trusted Thai friend etc etc to go for you- as a foreigner you will be charged much more- the list goes on.

My dear friend, "reading is fundamental," as we say in the States.

As my original pasting clearly states, I have been in the Kingdom 5 years. My entire thesis was a daisy chain of positive stories about acts of honesty i have personally experienced.

Your comment that honesty at the level exhibited in the lost wallet story is something to "expect to find anywhere in the world" along with your sarcastic (but lost on me) comment .. got us to where we are.

No, unlike others, I do not paint an entire country or people with a broad brush, so would never even think that "all Indian citizens are thieves." That is absurd ... and would certainly come as a shock to the best man at my wedding .. a Sikh from the Punjab.

However, many who have traveled ... including Indian Citizens, will tell you that sadly, there are hot spots in India where theft is epidemic.

I erred to make this quip, for it could easily be one of dozens of other cities, including several in the USA.

What you are missing is this ... Thailand has a very well earned reputation for several things ... The people are pleasant and clean. They are bright and do not enjoy conflict. They are honest, and I could argue. MORE honest than most other cultures.

They are also proud and strong, so yes, if you push them .. it will not go well. The constant debate here on Thai Visa is between two groups, Foreigners who work well within the Thai culture, respect it, embrace it, and enjoy it .. and others .. with the opposite view.

Those of us who have luckily carved out lovely lives here, and will never leave, resent the Thai Bashing and ill founded and often racist comments. I am from a pretty rough part of America, and we have a rule, say whatever you want about me .. but leave my family out of it ... including my wife.

The endless rants and slurs? You (they) are referencing my family. So yes, i take it personally.

I also love, and am loyal to the King and the Kingdom. The truth is, I would be much more likely to fight for the Kingdom, than the USA.

So, pardon my extended reply, and my apologies to you for that stupid reference to Calcutta. i know we are coming from a good place, so let's just say, no blood, no foul, and have a very pleasant evening.

Edited by Guest

Oh come on. A CAR THIEF is somebody who steals a car. I started reading this article because I thought here s some news about a worldwide operating vehicle stealing ring. Was wondering how they might operate. What a disappointment, this...

The headline says CAR BREAKER not car thief so rather ambiguous. Have to admit though, I thought they were stealing cars not contents of cars

Well Captainhornblower, I read on the headlins from ThaiVisa "Phuket Police nab Columbion car thieves" are you reading something else Mate.

In my country they would be provided an attorney, release in their own recognize, food stamps, welfare, a place to live, and the remainder of the family back home invited to join them in society. I wonder if Thailand will put up with such nonsense, after all, the defendants are the real victims in such dramas.

Plenty of people on TV calling it petty crime not exactly world breaking news....... so what, a crime was committed the suspect has been apprehended its a good result. Its bad enough dealing with petty theft from locals never mind falang.

If the recovered goods had been stolen from our perpetually dissatisfied posters Then they would be happy as sand boys that the crime of the century (theft of THEIR I-pad)had been solved and goods returned. Keep the good news stories about the usually maligned BIB coming, just for me. i like them.

Petty Theft?

So far;

(3) had a driver come all the way back to our condo to return my wife's (rather expensive) glasses.

(4) had a drive at 2:00 AM correct my mistake and point out that I gave him 2,000 Baht instead of 200 ...

(5) had a (rather poor) 16 year old run a city block chasing me to return a 50 baht note I dropped getting out my phone.

I have never had a friend report any items missing, just more stories like mine.

Now, I live in Bangkok, perhaps it is different where you are? But may I say, that the conventional wisdom is that petty theft is more common in the big cities around the world.

And I am not trolling here ... have you personally been the victim of theft, or any trusted friends .. or are you just sort of ... ummm... guessing? Where and what was lost?

it is the good things like these events that compels me to be one of those "Thai Lovers" who resents negative generalizations .. or Thai bashing. Some times I go over board and am trying to tone it down.

Nor saying that "bashing' is the case here, perhaps your luck has been the opposite from mine.

I too have had my wallet returned to me by a taxi driver after I left it in his car. He drove all the way back to my hotel to return it, I was happy to give him a reward. I also was alerted by a Thai while waiting on line in a 7-11 that I had dropped some money. This happen to me in Bangkok, this would never ever happen to me in New York. This is why I love Thailand and always will.

In my country they would be provided an attorney, release in their own recognize, food stamps, welfare, a place to live, and the remainder of the family back home invited to join them in society. I wonder if Thailand will put up with such nonsense, after all, the defendants are the real victims in such dramas.

Really? In your country people who visit on a visa and are involved in petty theft get all that?

That sounds pretty amazing...

And by "amazing" .. I mean "complete nonsense."

I've traveled in 60 different countries, and spent a total of two years in Colombia. While I met some nice honest people in Colombia I still must say that Colombia is the most dishonest, thieving, lying country I've ever experienced.

Really? In your country people who visit on a visa and are involved in petty theft get all that?

Visa or illegal:

If this is complete nonsense, and your mind has a grip on it as such, then this reflects your mind alone. Also, its not amazing, its appalling. Below a few links however the information is everywhere and overwhelming. Amazing? It is amazing someone would post such a response with such an absence of facts. Now this is amazing.

http://cis.org/ICE-Document-Details-36000-Criminal-Aliens-Release-in-2013

http://cis.org/catch-and-release

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2015/03/20/by-the-way-ice-just-released-thousands-more-violent-criminal-illegal-aliens-onto-american-streets-n1973552

http://www.wnd.com/2015/06/child-rape-and-obamas-diversity/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/03/30/report-obama-admin-released-tens-of-thousands-of-illegal-immigrant-criminals/

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/202142-dhs-document-68000-illegal-immigrants-with-criminal-convictions-released-in

Having read the OP article two times, the original news report and viewed the police photos. I read and saw nowhere that the police have recovered, any of the actual stolen items, from the car break-in. What they did confiscate were some personal clothing items and tools that could be used as burglary tools. But, I will agree that the suspect, does look like one of the men, in the parking lot video. The other two men, if found, will be the key to this crime being solved and the stolen items recovered. The man arrested for forging passports will probably suffer harsher punishment. I will add this, as another poster made reference to it. Reading is fundamental, but comprehension, seems to be missing from some TV readers comments.

Visa or illegal:

If this is complete nonsense, and your mind has a grip on it as such, then this reflects your mind alone. Also, its not amazing, its appalling. Below a few links however the information is everywhere and overwhelming. Amazing? It is amazing someone would post such a response with such an absence of facts. Now this is amazing.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2015/03/20/by-the-way-ice-just-released-thousands-more-violent-criminal-illegal-aliens-onto-american-streets-n1973552

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/03/30/report-obama-admin-released-tens-of-thousands-of-illegal-immigrant-criminals/

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/202142-dhs-document-68000-illegal-immigrants-with-criminal-convictions-released-in

Hey there .. l lighten up .. I am not the one who has gone completely off topic with a series of statements that simply are not true, and frankly ... laughable. All you left out was a membership to Pebble Beach..

The proposition that a visitor from any country can get a visa to your country, get caught breaking into a car, and receive , " ... food stamps, welfare, a place to live, and the remainder of the family back home invited to join them in society ... " is beyond absurd.

I am an American citizen ... So ... no ...nutty professor, i am not going to spend any time on your homework assignment and read your propaganda.

Let me try and explain the problem with your thesis:

It is not true ... and not even CLOSE to true.

How else can i say it?

Not True

Edited by Guest

Having read the OP article two times, the original news report and viewed the police photos. I read and saw nowhere that the police have recovered, any of the actual stolen items, from the car break-in. What they did confiscate were some personal clothing items and tools that could be used as burglary tools. But, I will agree that the suspect, does look like one of the men, in the parking lot video. The other two men, if found, will be the key to this crime being solved and the stolen items recovered. The man arrested for forging passports will probably suffer harsher punishment. I will add this, as another poster made reference to it. Reading is fundamental, but comprehension, seems to be missing from some TV readers comments.

Sorry. Yes you are right. I read the article quickly and they repeated the stolen goods list and I scanned it as items "found with the break in tools" I have been known to criticize others for not reading OP correctly. Rapped own knuckles with steel-edged ruler! OUCH!!! 555 But they did presumably arrest one right bad guy for that and another for other offences. Still good work by BIB but I must read slower in future. Hope they get the others AND the I-pad, phone etc. Edited by The Deerhunter

Visa or illegal:

Hey there .. l lighten up .. I am not the one who has gone completely off topic with a series of statements that simply are not true, and frankly ... laughable. All you left out was a membership to Pebble Beach..

The proposition that a visitor from any country can get a visa to your country, get caught breaking into a car, and receive , " ... food stamps, welfare, a place to live, and the remainder of the family back home invited to join them in society ... " is beyond absurd.

I am an American citizen ... So ... no ...nutty professor, i am not going to spend any time on your homework assignment and read your propaganda.

How else can i say it?

Not True

Your position is airtight. I cannot argue with your explanation; you got me.

How else can i say it?

Not True

Your position is airtight. I cannot argue with your explanation; you got me.

Yes, thank you for acknowledging that facts are facts ... and that does tend to make them "airtight."

Have a good day.

I have heard from people who are victims of theft in Pattaya and Phuket, but in my experience (10+ years here) Thailand has an incredibly low crime rate in most of the country.

I certainly never worry about having my car stolen or broken into. It was a different story when I lived in the UK.

bangkokequity my post was not having a go at the Thai's, in fact if anything it was a compliment to the police following up and chasing down the culprits. My post was directed at people who say the theft was minor, theft is theft and against the law.

I personally have not had any theft in Thailand (over eighteen years), however my parents and niece did experience petty theft twice whilst visiting (a Chiang Mai hotel and also Krabi hotel) okay they should not have left money and mobile phones in the open (bedroom) but there again why shouldn't they its their room for the duration.

Again my post does not bash Thai people (you need to read it again in a different mind set) petty theft happens all over the world.

Ps. No / Chiang Mai / my viginity

Petty Theft?

So far;

Some years ago,I was in Don Muang to pick up my son,coming to visit. Suddenly he cried out;he had lost his wallet with all his money and some other things.Whoa,I thought,that`s that.But,sekunds later it came over the loudspeakers that a wallet was found!!His wallet! It turned out that he had lost it in the cafeteria,foolishly keeping it in his backpocket,from where it had slid out.

Thanks for taking time to share that.

Great story.

The real "Thainess" the "rest of us" have grown to appreciate.

Yes, that's Thainess.

Doesn't happen anywhere else.

Well done BIB but you must stand chastised for not sharing with the TV detectives. How dare you fail to share the evidence because by doing so you have prevented them from solving the case and made many of their initial responses look foolish.

Many still speculate and criticise others who do the same and base their conclusions on newspaper articles. Thank god they are not involved in real world policing. One can assume all they like but police cannot, they need, at least strong circumstantial evidence before arresting and charging someone and then having warrants issued for others, not just because they assume they committed an offence/s.

Given there is at least one eye witness, video of persons in the car park, images of a vehicle and apparently other evidence, which has not been disclosed, they have arrested two males. One, according to the article, admitted to being in the car park on the day of the alleged theft, and it was determined that he presented a forged passport to hire a vehicle that was used to drive to that location. A number of house or car breaking implements were also located in the car. The other associate will be charged with forging the passport.

Many criminals are not that intelligent and are often brought undone through their commission of non-related crimes, in this instance using a forged passport to hire a vehicle. Now given that in the first article, where it was indicated that the alleged offenders were Columbians, it could be accepted that police had more evidence then what was disclosed in the first and subsequent article, and actually knew who they were looking for, as to speculate on nationality would be most unlikely. Now they know of a Mexican so someone has opened their mouth.

Both deny any knowledge of the theft but they are in the deep end at the moment and who knows what they compatriots will have to say once they are questioned over the alleged theft. Could be very interesting. Two question that someone on here may be able to provide a factual answer to. What is it with Thailand that attracts so many miscreants to it's shores? There are many good people who come here but day after day there are reports of persons being involved in many nefarious activities. The second question, why do so many on here give traction to criminals and rubbish others who do not condone such activities?