mobile phone data

trianglechoke

Right now I'd suggest get AIS 12call - they have a 3 month, triple speed promo. For example: With AIS 12Call, for 748 Baht/ month you get first 3 months with 9GB of 3G and free AIS wifi. (After 3 months it drops to 3GB per month, but hey, just cancel or don't topup)

How to do it:
  1. You need any AIS 12Call sim (can be a tourist SIM)
  2. Press *121# to check your balance. You need at least 748 Baht. ( You can get credit here )
  3. Dial this USSD code on the SIM to sign up for 9GB monthly 3G package:
    *777*993*316358#
    (You'll get an sms if it worked and your balance will be deducted.)
  4. Dial *338# to get your Wifi password.

As for calling credit, if you don't make that many calls, the basic package should be fine.

Right now I'd suggest get AIS 12call - they have a 3 month, triple speed promo. For example: With AIS 12Call, for 748 Baht/ month you get first 3 months with 9GB of 3G and free AIS wifi. (After 3 months it drops to 3GB per month, but hey, just cancel or don't topup)

How to do it:
  1. You need any AIS 12Call sim (can be a tourist SIM)
  2. Press *121# to check your balance. You need at least 748 Baht. ( You can get credit here )
  3. Dial this USSD code on the SIM to sign up for 9GB monthly 3G package:
    *777*993*316358#
    (You'll get an sms if it worked and your balance will be deducted.)
  4. Dial *338# to get your Wifi password.

As for calling credit, if you don't make that many calls, the basic package should be fine.

AHHHHH my experience with an Ais tourist sim....forget it, if you need to go with them pick one up from a centre somewhere out of the airport, i bought a tourist sim with unlimited everything only to get a sms a week later telling me i needed to recharge and mind you i had only made about 5 short phone calls and very little net activity on my phone, net was generous about 4 or 5 gig for the month, but hey dropping out often and virtually unusable in a shopping centre, one time in central phlonchit i was able to use the net on my phone for 30 min, a week later same seat same place nothing....

Next time i will go back to DTAK.

I just bought an AIS Aircard this week with a prepaid 399 baht package.

It works better where I live than my TOT WiNet.

My problem is that I don't know how much data I have used I called the AIS call centre and they gave me a url for a widget download.

www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet.Download

Download program >AIRCARD>click Freedownload App>Download AIS Widgets>save

This does not work so I tried www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet

and that didn't work either.

Does anyone have a better link?

Cheers Bill

@trianglechoke perhaps you would only get a virtual reality massage.

@billd766 Have you tried AIS eService login? You'll need to get the OTP sms to login.

Thanks for the info.

I had to switch off my aircard from the system and go a roundabout way but I got there in the end.

I found out that whilst my Aircard is super while there is still credit on it I have used 3Gb in 4 days and it has run out. I can still use the Aircard but the download speed is slower than a centipede with 37 broken legs.

It looks as though I use about 1Gb a day and even their best (short term) package of Max 3G of 4Gb on a special is 799 baht + vat times 3 only gives me a maximum of 12Gb before it falls off. I would need 2 1/2 packages a month at a cost of 2,400 baht + vat to make up for what I use.

ToT, while it is crap at least gives me unlimited internet for 950 baht per month. That is a WiNet service but at least it still works. Luckily I haven't cancelled it yet.

I do recommend that anyone buying a SIM and data plan such as"AIS FREEDOM PACKAGE" do it only at a AIS or Telewiz (or TRUE & DTAC) kiosk or office. Ask that any promotional or 3rd party SMS's be disabled. Have them check your phone for data leaks...they are usually pretty good at that. make sure you understand the terms of the voice and data plan and make sure you aren't signed up for any default services like "Calling Melody" or other such useless garbage.

I do recommend that anyone buying a SIM and data plan such as"AIS FREEDOM PACKAGE" do it only at a AIS or Telewiz (or TRUE & DTAC) kiosk or office. Ask that any promotional or 3rd party SMS's be disabled. Have them check your phone for data leaks...they are usually pretty good at that. make sure you understand the terms of the voice and data plan and make sure you aren't signed up for any default services like "Calling Melody" or other such useless garbage.

I bought the Aircard and the Sim specifically for internet and data. That I got it wrong is not the fault of AIS and it does give me the option to top up the Aircard and use it outside after taking care that the Aircard is switched OFF unless I am using it.