Texting student falls onto BTS Skytrain tracks

webfact

Photo of Krung Thon Buri Station at exactly 8:30 AM.

My wife sent me this this morning complaining how there were "too many people"

Could it be that girl was accidentally pushed off the edge and the phone portion is meaningless?

post-145190-0-92106300-1435215143_thumb.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imagine what kind of life you would have if you had a relationship with a lady who constantly gazes at her mobile phone....... x

Had one. And one phone was not enough. She was busy constantly monitoring two phones. Sucked big time. Dumped her.

Perhaps this will prompt BTS to re-think their decision not to install Platform Screen Doors at all stations.

well for I don't know how long? 100 years (London subway) it worked without Screen Doors and now since we have smart phones and GPS we are more stupid than sheeps?

On that rate evolution needs another 1.000.000 years to sort out that problem.

Crossy

think you misunderstand the problem. Irrelevant WHAT the BTS do, <deleted> with heads in phones will not see them anyway!!!

It's you that doesn't understand, regardless of whether those using their phones see the barriers or not, those barriers will prevent them from falling on to the track

This is one of those postings that makes me scratch my head and wonder if the people who post on Thai Visa have ever been to Thailand ...

We are discussing the BTS Skytrain System.

Unless a person is able to jump over, or break through thick plexiglass barriers, that only open when a train door in front of them are open ...

In short, it is pretty much impossible to accidentally fall onto the tracks at stations that have them.

May i ask, since you seem to view yourself as an expert ... Yes or No ...

Have you ever been to Siam Station, BTS? Or any of the other stations with the computerized plexiglass protective barriers?

If not, and you have not got clue one what you are talking about, why are you babbling about it?

Next, they would be busy texting for barriers along pavements...

I do have a rule ...

I do not ever walk and look at my phone at the same time.

If I need to check my map, my app, my LINE ... whatever .. I find a place out of the flow of foot traffic.

When I walk, I look ahead and in a straight line.

Call me a P***K or whatever, but i do not get out of the way for people with their heads in a tiny screen.

I stop, and let them walk into my shoulder, look them in the eye, and give them the "go around" hand signal. If I get the the BTS turn-style and they miss a beat, I just go around them... Ditto that in any queue really.

I am not going to spend my life dodging phone zombies, and if enough of us gave them a bump now and then, they would get the message.

Sorry, your game of "Candy Crush" ... your need to send an emoticon, does not require me to go around you.

Woops, not fun to walk into 100 kilos of "i ain't movin'?"

Sucks to be you, next time watch where the (<<<<) you are going.

I was at dinner the other night. At a decent mid-range restaurant. twelve tables. Some with two people , others with small groups. Only two tables had people who were not on there phones.

Who in Thailand isnt on a phone most of the time.

Perhaps this will prompt BTS to re-think their decision not to install Platform Screen Doors at all stations.

well for I don't know how long? 100 years (London subway) it worked without Screen Doors and now since we have smart phones and GPS we are more stupid than sheeps?

On that rate evolution needs another 1.000.000 years to sort out that problem.

A new and compulsory smart device should be used in conjunction to the smartphone - a dog collar and a leash.

imagine what kind of life you would have if you had a relationship with a lady who constantly gazes at her mobile phone....... x

Dude, iI know right? You see young couples in a restaurant taking pictures and sending them to .... wait for it ... each other!

Don't know how these guys get any.

Maybe they retire to separate beds and cyber sex each other?

My wife got into her phone at dinner once. The next night she said, " do you want to go out for dinner?"

"Go with your phone, I will eat later."

She never did that again.

I kid you not when I tell you that I know of an instance when 2 young ladies were out for dinner together and actually texted each other to speak.

These devices are taking over the world and in my opinion it is for the worse.

Half way down Soi 22 Sukhumvit there is a private girl's school. I believe there are about 3,000 students at this school. Completion of a day's studies is staggered, but at knock-off time large groups of girls walk down towards Sukhumvit. Most heading to the BTS. It is only several years ago they walked down Soi 22 just laughing and chatting. Mindful of the shoppers around them. Large numbers took over-loaded tuk-tuks down to Sukhumvit, short-cutting through Washington Square. With the Square gone now, no more tuk-tuks. Generally they behaved themselves.

The groups have gotten larger with high percentages of the girls having their heads buried in mobile phones. Texting, gaming, who knows. The big change is that now the groups will walk you off the foot-path without a blink of an eye. They just don't look where they are going. Say something and you get some of the ugliest sneers and a barrage of Thai obscenities. It is not that they just don't care about walking into falang, Thai pedestrians get their fair share of rudeness as well. I have seen them have minor altercations with motor-cycles crossing side Sois as well as knocking over crates of fruit. Having their heads buried in their mobiles has become more important than following the cultural behaviors that they were probably taught, and more than likely followed by their parents.

Sure this change of attitude, in how one carry's himself/herself in public, has happened all around the world, but it has surprised me after living here so many years, how quickly it has affected the Thai youth. Just another domino that has fallen in the changes that have occurred in the past 30 years, in Thai culture.

Edited by Mot Dang

It is sad to see how people walk around here with their smartphone. No eye for anything happening around them and just staring at that little screen in their hand, combined with walking very slow and hindering other people.

Maybe people should be educated a bit on how to behave with their phones: step to the side (to not block anyone), stop walking (to be able to concentrate on your phone), and then start texting.

(same for all countries by the way, this is not a Thai problem)

sad to say but, i see this kind of behavior even if they walk without a smartphone in their hands... the only missing indicator would be the white stick, tapping in front of them, or i would start thinking they are all blind...

Maybe this "tunnel vision" they appear to have, is a direct result from "malnutrition" ? ( peripheral vision deficiency )

Dude, iI know right? You see young couples in a restaurant taking pictures and sending them to .... wait for it ... each other!

Don't know how these guys get any.

Maybe they retire to separate beds and cyber sex each other?

I don't think they reproduce. Smartphones have replaced sex. Maybe an idea to gather all the phone addicts in camps where they can simulate life without being an annoyance to others.

Throwing accusations of "idiot", "stupid" and such is all very well, but brief observation of Joe and Jane Public at large at any time confirms that absolutely EVERYBODY leaves their brain at home sometimes, at least for some substantial part of the day.

There are no exceptions, we are all guilty of doing so to some extent.

Not me.

BTS have not made a decision not to install platform doors at all stations. The doors are provided by VGI Media which is a subsidiary company. So far B700Million has been spent installing the doors. It depends therefore on sponsorship through advertising income

Secondly we do not have screen doors on most platforms in the UK on the mass transit systems. These idiots are at fault for walking around not looking where they are going playing games and texting on their smart phones. I am regularly run into by smart phone users not looking where they are going. Motto should be don't drive (or walk) and text at the same time.

Half way down Soi 22 Sukhumvit there is a private girl's school. I believe there are about 3,000 students at this school. Completion of a day's studies is staggered, but at knock-off time large groups of girls walk down towards Sukhumvit. Most heading to the BTS. It is only several years ago they walked down Soi 22 just laughing and chatting. Mindful of the shoppers around them. Large numbers took over-loaded tuk-tuks down to Sukhumvit, short-cutting through Washington Square. With the Square gone now, no more tuk-tuks. Generally they behaved themselves.

The groups have gotten larger with high percentages of the girls having their heads buried in mobile phones. Texting, gaming, who knows. The big change is that now the groups will walk you off the foot-path without a blink of an eye. They just don't look where they are going. Say something and you get some of the ugliest sneers and a barrage of Thai obscenities. It is not that they just don't care about walking into falang, Thai pedestrians get their fair share of rudeness as well. I have seen them have minor altercations with motor-cycles crossing side Sois as well as knocking over crates of fruit. Having their heads buried in their mobiles has become more important than following the cultural behaviors that they were probably taught, and more than likely followed by their parents.

Sure this change of attitude, in how one carry's himself/herself in public, has happened all around the world, but it has surprised me after living here so many years, how quickly it has affected the Thai youth. Just another domino that has fallen in the changes that have occurred in the past 30 years, in Thai culture.

Well written, and such a tragic development. I used to live down there, and the sight of all the girls heading home in the afternoon was the cutest sight in the world. It kind of gave me hope for the future of this country, the playful attitude. Not so anymore. Technology's victory over cuteness :(

I would kick her out faster than she could text her friends "farang velly velly bad man" ...cheesy.gif

Throwing accusations of "idiot", "stupid" and such is all very well, but brief observation of Joe and Jane Public at large at any time confirms that absolutely EVERYBODY leaves their brain at home sometimes, at least for some substantial part of the day.

There are no exceptions, we are all guilty of doing so to some extent.

Not all of us-----------